Ingoodco/PC

I think we can all agree on that. We probably just can't agree on what "put up or shut up" means. What do you think it means? I say a good enough record to get a double bye in the Big 10 tournament. I'm not going to put a stipulation on post season play because one bad game can happen way easier than a bad season can.

How about at least first, second, or third place in the conference and a sweet 16? Is that asking too much from a coach who will have assembled his best team in his tenure? We can also do a mix and match sort of say. Say we win the Conference tournament but only get to the second round of the tourney. In other words results that would exceed his best year up to this point. Something rememberable.

Shut up and pack up is obviously a coaching change if it’s just another middle of or bottom third of the conference. I’m not asking for a national championship here?

What say you PC? INGOODCOMPANY?

Can we all agree that if all eligible players return next season and we avoid any major injuries, that it will be time for Fran to put up, or shut up and PACK UP???

That's the boat I was in before last season. Then we came within an OT game of the Sweet 16. This season we tore through our early season schedule with the exception of some losses to what have turned out to be great teams. Then there was the question of what would happen without Bohannon and we kept on winning. I'm completely off the Fran hating boat. He's a helluva a coach who's dealing with some horrible luck that can in no way be attributed to things he could have foreseen or even recruited around. You just can't always have another replacement waiting on the bench. And even if we lose tonight and don't get Fredrick back for a full month, there's still a path to the tournament.

To your point about next year, if everyone's back and healthy then there's no question in my mind that we'll be the team to beat. However, if Fran just misses the regular season title and loses in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament and then "only makes the sweet 16", I will not mark it down as a failure and be calling for his head. He's proven time and time again that he has an eye for talent and can develop it.

That's the boat I was in before last season. Then we came within an OT game of the Sweet 16. This season we tore through our early season schedule with the exception of some losses to what have turned out to be great teams. Then there was the question of what would happen without Bohannon and we kept on winning. I'm completely off the Fran hating boat. He's a helluva a coach who's dealing with some horrible luck that can in no way be attributed to things he could have foreseen or even recruited around. You just can't always have another replacement waiting on the bench. And even if we lose tonight and don't get Fredrick back for a full month, there's still a path to the tournament.

To your point about next year, if everyone's back and healthy then there's no question in my mind that we'll be the team to beat. However, if Fran just misses the regular season title and loses in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament and then "only makes the sweet 16", I will not mark it down as a failure and be calling for his head. He's proven time and time again that he has an eye for talent and can develop it.

Fair enough as you have added a mix and match option there that would be acceptable.

To have a Garza like center is very rare for Iowa and if he returns we need to make hay.

How about at least first, second, or third place in the conference and a sweet 16? Is that asking too much from a coach who will have assembled his best team in his tenure? We can also do a mix and match sort of say. Say we win the Conference tournament but only get to the second round of the tourney. In other words results that would exceed his best year up to this point. Something rememberable.

Shut up and pack up is obviously a coaching change if it’s just another middle of or bottom third of the conference. I’m not asking for a national championship here?

I would like something more tangible for certain. Place in the top 3 of the standings, get a 5 seed or higher in the Dance, win the BTT - but making it deep in the dance is such a crap shoot. I still expect NCAA every season or bust. I know it's unlikely this season due to injuries, but I still expect that to be the floor. Fran's always on my hot seat. I just happen to think he's a much better coach then a lot of people give him credit for and I am fairly uncertain who waiting in line to take the gig.

I would like something more tangible for certain. Place in the top 3 of the standings, get a 5 seed or higher in the Dance, win the BTT - but making it deep in the dance is such a crap shoot. I still expect NCAA every season or bust. I know it's unlikely this season due to injuries, but I still expect that to be the floor. Fran's always on my hot seat. I just happen to think he's a much better coach then a lot of people give him credit for and I am fairly uncertain who waiting in line to take the gig.

More than fair. There are two GOODS on this board and I am always getting confused which one is which. I know that one seems to be a “it’s all good” (no pun intended) type of poster and the other expects much more out of the coaches.

I already said what I expect next year with the whole team back. I don't put expectations on a 1 and done tournament. What I expect during a year like next year is to enjoy the hell out of the regular season. I want to be in the hunt for a title so my wife can be annoyed at me for watching every Big 10 game I can, rooting for teams close to Iowa to lose. I want a 2015 type year with another chance to finish strong. I will be extremely disappointed if those things don't happen with a healthy team with Luka and Wieskamp. I also don't think Luka will let it happen. Basketball is mostly about players so Fran will have already done 90% of his job putting a conference contender on the floor.

So, I heard Rob say that Wieskamp said the ball Nebby uses feels odd (presuming that it potentially caused his poor shooting). Does the team practice with the ball they're going to play with just before the game, or is that not allowed due to contracts with its own ball manufacturer? Seems like that might help avoid poor shooting like we saw in Lincoln. Anyone know?

So, I heard Rob say that Wieskamp said the ball Nebby uses feels odd (presuming that it potentially caused his poor shooting). Does the team practice with the ball they're going to play with just before the game, or is that not allowed due to contracts with its own ball manufacturer? Seems like that might help avoid poor shooting like we saw in Lincoln. Anyone know?
They’ve mentioned playing with the Adidas ball in the past leading up to the game in the Mike G and Woody days yo!

I will add this also; If we win tonight we are back on the board. Need to stop this small tailspin. Hoping for the best for my life long favorite team!!! Go HAWKS!!!

Yep we back on the board!!! Basketball can be a weird ass and unpredictable sport.

Joe said he practiced with the adidas ball for the two days between Penn State and Nebraska games.
Wasn't there a similar issue several years ago with Maryland's Under Armour ball?

Steve Alford once said that shooting Purdue's Mackey Arena ball was like shooting a balloon. Don't know if that's changed over the years.

Can we all agree that if all eligible players return next season and we avoid any major injuries, that it will be time for Fran to put up, or shut up and PACK UP???

Depends what "put up" means. If everyone stays, we should finish in the top 3 in the B1G(with a shot at the championship by end of Feb), make at least semi finals if B1G tourney, and get to Sweet 16( anything can happenin the Dance so can say that's a minimum requirement).

A B1G championship would be awesome tho, let's go for that.

Latest posts