In-State PG D.J. Carton Places Hawkeyes Among Top 6

DJ is a must get. Wieskamp, DJ and Patrick. That is 3 top 50 players, that is how you contend for conference championships.

What sort of chances do you give us for landing Carton? I have very little faith in Fran landing any quality PG, even a home product such as Carton, and especially with the attention he's getting.
I would give Iowa a 10% chance with Michigan being the favorite followed by Ohio State. Assuming he doesn't go Iowa I just hope he leaves the B10.

What sort of chances do you give us for landing Carton? I have very little faith in Fran landing any quality PG, even a home product such as Carton, and especially with the attention he's getting.
I would give Iowa a 10% chance with Michigan being the favorite followed by Ohio State. Assuming he doesn't go Iowa I just hope he leaves the B10.

I like that these are the teams involved. I mean Michigan is a nice school, but it isn't some powerhouse. I mean if you look over the last 15 years Wisconsin's level of success >> Michigan.

I think Fran can sell the crap out of him getting to play with other top 50 recruits in Joe and Patrick. Now I'm not saying that DJ is coming to Iowa, but I actually think we have as good of shot of any team in that group of 6 he listed.

Good reasons.
Thankfully, many Iowa players from out of state don't share this sentiment!

For an out-of-state recruit: Playing in Iowa City trumps playing near family and friends.
For an in-state recruit: Playing close to family and friends trumps taking an opportunity a more prestigious P-6 school.

Didn't you get the memo on this one?

For an out-of-state recruit: Playing in Iowa City trumps playing near family and friends.
For an in-state recruit: Playing close to family and friends trumps taking an opportunity a more prestigious P-6 school.

Didn't you get the memo on this one?

It doesn't - that's why it's so hard to get out of state's best players to leave home unless you're a brand. The schools on his list, IMO - Iowa is in the lead. I don't think Marquette or Xavier are real threats. So that leaves UM, TOSU, UI and IU. So, there's a real shot it's a not 6 schools, it's 4. The deal is, this is his list in May - bigger offers are still likely as the summer progresses. DJ will compete in the USA 18 and Under National Team coached by Bill Self at the end this month. He's going to have A LOT of eye balls on him at that including Self. I'm not as worried about the teams on his list as the teams that aren't on his list yet.

I like that these are the teams involved. I mean Michigan is a nice school, but it isn't some powerhouse. I mean if you look over the last 15 years Wisconsin's level of success >> Michigan.

I think Fran can sell the crap out of him getting to play with other top 50 recruits in Joe and Patrick. Now I'm not saying that DJ is coming to Iowa, but I actually think we have as good of shot of any team in that group of 6 he listed.
Well in fairness Wisconsin probably has a top 10 program over the last 15 years, although they aren’t perceived that way by the world. Michigan has been to the national championship game twice in the last 6 years.

But I agree with your point. I’m glad these are the players as opposed to Kansas, Duke, NC, and UK.... although we might here from those schools at somepoint

Put yourself in DJs shoes.
Who would you rather play for?
That's tough. Did he grow up a fan? Is playing close to home a priority? Then of course the coach/style of play/team around him all those sorts of things factor. Easy for me as an Iowa fan boy to say sure we have a starting spot for him day 1 to come in at most likely. (I think he and JBo would play together for a year) We'll put the ball in his hands and play an uptempo fast fun style and allow him to lead the charge. Does Michigan Indiana offer the same? Just depends on what he's looking for. I think we are as well positioned as we can be for him. So long as his interests are aligned...

It doesn't - that's why it's so hard to get out of state's best players to leave home unless you're a brand. The schools on his list, IMO - Iowa is in the lead. I don't think Marquette or Xavier are real threats. So that leaves UM, TOSU, UI and IU. So, there's a real shot it's a not 6 schools, it's 4. The deal is, this is his list in May - bigger offers are still likely as the summer progresses. DJ will compete in the USA 18 and Under National Team coached by Bill Self at the end this month. He's going to have A LOT of eye balls on him at that including Self. I'm not as worried about the teams on his list as the teams that aren't on his list yet.

I'm guessing it's head-to-head with Iowa and MI, based off this list, but as others have said, a blue blood or two is going to come calling sooner or later and could change things rather quickly. You can say all you want, unfortunately, it's a rare coach that can successfully recruit against the blue bloods. Many want to blame Fran, but I'd challenge anyone to list a coach who has been able to regularly successfully recruit against the blue bloods. I'd be willing to bet it's less then 3... so the odds are stacked for most coaches no matter who it is. Like it or not, guys... Iowa isn't a blue blood.

Those people with more credibility are just guessing right now anyway. Unless they are fortune tellers, their credibility doesn't do them an ounce of good at this point.

Exactly, those same credible sources had Wisconsin as the favorite a few weeks ago.

Completely agree on this. There are times those Crystal Ball's are spot on. If DJ were to come out and say he was committing in a week, and then 3 Crystal Ball's all go to a school, then someone knows something and they are pretty dang spot on. When these come out of nowhere after a top 6 was released and all the CB's moved from a team that was eliminated to another team it literally means nothing.

Latest posts