IF Ferentz did leave. . . who would we realistically have for a HC?

If we had to get a new coach...I am really warming up to the Mark Stoops or Brett Venables idea...or Chryst. I think that would be a solid hire, especially Stoops as I think it would not be a stepping stone job.

There is a young coach, who was a HC and now is a OC, and whos team whooped up on the Saints today. I didnt like him as a pro HC, but he might make a good D1 HC and I am sure he is looking to prove he can be a HC.

People comparing this to the basketball situation are way off base. There are many differences between the two, namely 3.5 to 4 million dollars, brand new spanking facilities being built, a banged out awesome stadium and 30+ years of sustained success. We are a long, long, long, long way from the 70's. What a tired argument.

how about comparing it to how long it took and how many coaches it took for Michigan and Notre Dame to have winning teams? Many years, many coaches for two of the most winning programs in all of college football. Is that comparison valid?

I'll also throw in Miami, Florida State, how about even NEbraska? All these programs went through multiple coaches and many years.... all at more well known programs than us....long road to hoe

for me it is not time to throw the baby out with the bathwater, two seasons after a 11 win BCS season...

I don't understand why so many people think KF is the only guy who can coach at Iowa.
Iowa has the money and facilities to attract legit coaches that would bring a fresh taste to this program. So those of you who think it can only be KF here at Iowa please explain that to me!
I am not calling for KF to be fired or forced out at this point but his leash is getting VERY short in my opinion.

I'll also throw in Miami, Florida State, how about even NEbraska? All these programs went through multiple coaches and many years.... all at more well known programs than us....long road to hoe

When did Miami and Florida St go through multiple coaches? Florida St just got rid of Bowden who had dragged the program down during his last decade there. Miami went from Schellenberger to Johnson to Erickson to Davis to Coker with all of the coaches except for Davis winning a national title and Davis just left Coker with the greatest collection of talent of any college team in the last 50 years. Not to mention Miami has nowhere near the financial resources that we have and play in an off campus stadium and have a very small fan base.

We have a huge football budget we will be able to afford a quality coach when Ferentz needs to be replaced.

When did Miami and Florida St go through multiple coaches? Florida St just got rid of Bowden who had dragged the program down during his last decade there. Miami went from Schellenberger to Johnson to Erickson to Davis to Coker with all of the coaches except for Davis winning a national title and Davis just left Coker with the greatest collection of talent of any college team in the last 50 years. Not to mention Miami has nowhere near the financial resources that we have and play in an off campus stadium and have a very small fan base.We have a huge football budget we will be able to afford a quality coach when Ferentz needs to be replaced.

Miami has a small fan base?! I want what you are smoking!

When did Miami and Florida St go through multiple coaches? Florida St just got rid of Bowden who had dragged the program down during his last decade there. Miami went from Schellenberger to Johnson to Erickson to Davis to Coker with all of the coaches except for Davis winning a national title and Davis just left Coker with the greatest collection of talent of any college team in the last 50 years. Not to mention Miami has nowhere near the financial resources that we have and play in an off campus stadium and have a very small fan base.

We have a huge football budget we will be able to afford a quality coach when Ferentz needs to be replaced.

Miami's success the last five years? Florida State's success the last five years? Are either of them in the top 25 this year? Last time finished in the top 10? Last BCS win?

They sure do. Check out some of their attendance numbers.

43,786 for Kansas St
Kansas State Wildcats vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - September 24, 2011 - ESPN

43,716 for Ga Tech
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - October 22, 2011 - ESPN

40,403 for Virginia
Virginia Cavaliers vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - October 27, 2011 - ESPN

Right in line with what MWC and Big East teams draw. They have a lot of bandwagon fans but when it comes to fans who go to games and donate money they are what you would expect from a small private university.

They sure do. Check out some of their attendance numbers.43,786 for Kansas StKansas State Wildcats vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - September 24, 2011 - ESPN43,716 for Ga TechGeorgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - October 22, 2011 - ESPN40,403 for VirginiaVirginia Cavaliers vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - October 27, 2011 - ESPNRight in line with what MWC and Big East teams draw. They have a lot of bandwagon fans but when it comes to fans who go to games and donate money they are what you would expect from a small private university.

I bet they have more money than we do. Also, attendance numbers don't mean **** to me. I'm a Hawkeye fan, haven't been to a game this year, but I watch them all on TV. So, they aren't counting all the fans who don't go to games.

Miami's success the last five years? Florida State's success the last five years? Are either of them in the top 25 this year? Last time finished in the top 10? Last BCS win?

Florida St under Bowden:
2005: 8-5
2006: 7-6
2007: 7-6
2008: 9-4
2009: 7-6

Under Fisher
2010: 10-4

Got rid of Bowden, had their most successful season since '03 in his first year.

Miami is a different story. They kept Coker because he is who the players wanted and he got them one title and was a pass interference away from another but he was a terrible coach and was running the program into the ground. Randy Shannon did a good job cleaning up Coker's mess, but couldn't get over the hump. And Al Golden is a definite upgrade over Shannon. If you can win a Temple, you can really coach.

Latest posts