I really hope this isn't true...

Honestly I don't think that's a very fitting analogy at all. You would liken a coach/player relationship to a friend/friend relationship?

Close friends can be like family. Members on a team can be like a family. Coaches on a team can be both like friends AND family.

I don't believe that the analogy is misapplied.

cmhawks -

Some Hawk fans see what DJK did on the field ... and they view those exploits as being "enough" to earn the respect of those in the Hawk program. They view all that production as being to the betterment of the program.

However, what they don't ask is ... what harm has DJK also done to the program? Not only could DJK's presense have caused a "divide" on the team ... which is a VERY negative thing .... but who is to say that Keenan Davis would not have blossomed earlier had DJK been gone sooner? If DJK had gone earlier ... perhaps McNutt would have received more reps earlier. Maybe McNutt could have been further along development-wise. With both McNutt and Davis further along development-wise ... what great plays could they have made for us? Maybe if DJK hadn't have been around, maybe that would have impacted the type and sort of reps that Sandeman would/could have received. Maybe then Sandeman wouldn't have gotten the same injuries then ... and then perhaps could have had a more productive career. Maybe ... just maybe ... Sandeman was robbed the opportunity of being the second coming of CJ Jones and/or Ed Hinkel?

DJK may have had a great career at Iowa ... however, had he not been at Iowa, who is to say that others would not have elevated their game in his absence?

And everything you said there is exactly why we can't have to strong an opinion about anything we aren't “in the knowâ€￾ on…..destiny or cause and affect is a funny thing.

Chad

Pump the brakes a tick here old friend....I am aware that at times I come off as pompous and condescending, but I’m not sure where the condescension is in this particular post.

I also try to be careful about finger pointing and tend to be a be a little vague about calling singular people out (after all I dialogue for a living and am careful to leave myself an escape clause….:cool:)

In this particular instance I am not in any way trying nefariously to suggest you did any of the above, other than feel the need to take DJK’s case up in the court of public opinion. So somewhat by proxy you align yourself with a whole lot of folks who share similar and even stronger views than yourself….unfair, perhaps but that is the internet all the same.

Chad

My bad...I just reread what I posted in response to you and it seemed a little more abrasive than it sounded when I originally wrote it. I read a little too much into it. My apologies.

My bad...I just reread what I posted in response to you and it seemed a little more abrasive than it sounded when I originally wrote it. I read a little too much into it. My apologies.

No problem and frankly I haven't had too much issue with anything you've said in the past. At least that I can remember but I will tell you I typically try to give our coaches and players (even DJK) a lot of Mercy, Grace and appreciation so I would imagine that I occasionally fall on the opposite side of you on some of these things.

Incidentally I really don’t have any issue with Derrell, because God knows how I was at 23! Unfortunately like me, his public actions and speech don’t lend him much credibility. Mercy and prayer for sure, but he did make his bed and Lord knows I too have had to lie in it. I empathize with him and think he’ll get it eventually but I certainly wouldn’t side with him based on my own experience alone.

Chad

Close friends can be like family. Members on a team can be like a family. Coaches on a team can be both like friends AND family.

I don't believe that the analogy is misapplied.

Every good coach will tell you that you can be friendly with your players, but you can't be friends with your players. Big difference...friends are on an even level, coaches and players are on different levels where one exerts power over the other. Players look to coaches for direction...

Every good coach will tell you that you can be friendly with your players, but you can't be friends with your players. Big difference...friends are on an even level, coaches and players are on different levels where one exerts power over the other. Players look to coaches for direction...

LOL ... Zook may have missed that memo. Of course, he doesn't necessarily count as a "good coach" though, does he?

I, for one, am glad Iowa has a coach that has a set of rules that are to be followed in order to run a successful program and look out for the welfare of 100+ student athletes each year. As talented as he was, DJK always appeared to view himself as bigger than Kirk's structure. DJK had the chance to finish his career as one of the most heralded, appreciated players in Iowa football history. He blew it, and brought disgrace to the program.

I have no problem with Kirk or the staff turning a cold shoulder.

Derrell caused his own problems, and hes the first to admit that.

But long after Kirks come and gone at Iowa, people will remember the many highlights #15 provided us. Kirks petty grudge wont erase that.

And he's the first to continue repeating them. It's still me, me, me...the kid just hasn't learned to shut up.

But long after Kirks come and gone at Iowa, people will remember the many highlights #15 provided us. Kirks petty grudge wont erase that.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. DJK's records are in the books, but Ferentz built one hell of a program. He's one of the winningest coaches in IOWA history. To infer that he'll be some "footnote" 10 years from now is absurd. (it's no wonder you tend to side with DJK, you share the same lack of respect for the CEO)

"Petty grudge"? KFZ has had hundreds of guys go through the program and almost to a man...they praise his leadership and mentoring. DJK is the one... clear... pain in the ***. He probably should have tossed him sooner.

But long after Kirks come and gone at Iowa, people will remember the many highlights #15 provided us. Kirks petty grudge wont erase that.

How many people remember Hayden Fry over (insert name of wide receiver who played under Fry)? I'm fairly sure of what Kirk's legacy at Iowa will be compared to DJK.

Petty grudge...really. You must be living the dream on another planet. DJK made great plays, no doubt about it...highlight reel stuff. But I'm going to side with KF on the way he has handled the aftermath of DJK's drug house revelations.

My guess is that if you could get KF to articulate what he saw coming with DJK over the years, it may be something very similar to what actually happened. With 100 guys on a team, and the number of coaches at various levels interacting with players, I find it hard to believe someone didn't have a clue to what was going on...and I'm sure KF had some ideas. I have no doubt there were discussions to that effect and it was a part of the disciplinary actions that took place...as well as in response to DJK's discontent with the way he was being "managed".

If you tried repeatedly to help someone or discipline them to change behavior, and the inevitable eventually happens, why would you then feel compelled to then reach out again. DJK always knew better and pointed the fingers elsewhere...and he is still doing it. If you don't think his behavior over the years was detrimental to the team, I'd disagree pretty adamantly as his public displays would typically be be a fraction of what he does internally with teammates. I doubt it was positive.

DJK eventually embarrassed the Iowa program and himself. I'd give KF a few years to accept him back in the Iowa family and even then, I wouldn't be surprised or be disappointed if he didn't. He's hurt himself also in regard to his draft status...although the NFL will certain forgive that, if he can perform. The will just get him at a lower price...it's all good for them.

DJK made his bed, he should roll over, and move on.

I'm one of the biggest DJK fans out there. But he really needs to just shut up and worry about football.

Dear Lord, I am tired of hearing about DJK.

Here is my analysis:

1. Decent receiver.
2. Lousy blocker.
3. Hot dog prima donna.
4. Horrible leader.
5. Selfish and ultimately a big cancer on the team.

I say goodbye and good riddance. I felt sorry for KF having to deal with this clown.

Too many posts to read them all but I really think a lot of fans (including myself) were puzzled with Kirk's relationship with DJK and even sided with DJK after the performance at Minnesota.

Now Kirk gets the benefit of the doubt. DJK let his coach and his teammates down.

Good luck DJK but I doubt Kirk is going to forget the black eye you put on the program overnight. It will take time. I hope DJK can become a model citizen and a productive pro and someday down the road he can be acknowledged for his accomplishments on the field as a Hawkeye.

DJK is still pointing fingers elsewhere? Are you kidding me? He has accepted complete and total responsibility for his actions and has apologized publicly to his teammates, university, coaches, and fans. What else would you like him to do? Furthermore, the "black eye" he gave the program was overblown because of a lack of facts. Everyone thinks because of the drug house charges, he was a drug dealer. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. The only charge that stuck was possession of marijuana. That is a pretty insignificant charge.

DJK is still pointing fingers elsewhere? Are you kidding me? He has accepted complete and total responsibility for his actions and has apologized publicly to his teammates, university, coaches, and fans. What else would you like him to do? Furthermore, the "black eye" he gave the program was overblown because of a lack of facts. Everyone thinks because of the drug house charges, he was a drug dealer. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. The only charge that stuck was possession of marijuana. That is a pretty insignificant charge.

The Iowa fans are aware that the dealing charges/drug houses were dropped but it still doesn't change the bad policity that came from his arrest. I bet if you asked the majority of the country they aren't aware of the results that came from the case. When the charge came about its a BIG story... its not that interesting of a story for the media to update if it's only a possession of marijuana charge.

PS - who writes letters these days other than my grandma?!
If you watch Ken Burns PBS series about the civil war, they read you letters from young men of high school age that are almost as eloquent as Shakespeare

Then you wake up the next morning and realize you're living in a world where "This visit is asssssssssssssss" is revered like the Epic of Gilgamesh by adolescents who consider it strange that at one time the majority of young males actually had biological fathers living under the same roof as their sons.

All I know is DJK was caught in a drug house, KF was not. Also, KF took a chance on DJK when Ohio St & others would not & now DJK will most likely sign a decent free-agent deal & get a nice NFL $$check.