I really hope this isn't true...

DJK proved he can do lots of things on the field.

And he continues to prove there's one thing he can't do off the field: shut up.

Arent' there 2 sides to every story? You have DJK's side, but what about KF's side. Do you know for a fact that they never talked with him? I didn't think so. Always best to get both side of the story and ALL of the facts before drawing a conclusion and passing judgement.

There are...and I almost posted something last night to that exact point, saying that I guess I didn't have proof that they DIDN'T give him some sort of ultimatum, which leaves us back where we started.

Not directed at you, but in general, there is a certain segment of the fan base that is going to take Ferentz' side regardless of the situation because it seems they view him as infallible. When things go bad with a player, the player is an idiot. When things go good with a player, Ferentz handled it the right way. When things go right on the field, it's "In Kirk We Trust." When things go bad on the field, it's "Fire O'Keefe!" He's so beyond reproach with some people that it's nauseating...Jon posted a story last week (?) about the post-spring game "extra-curricular" stuff that Chic and KF did for a family. A good story, for sure, but it seems there are some that think that Ferentz is the only coach that does things like this. They complain that these stories aren't the ones that grab the headlines...I'm pretty sure if you dug through the headlines a little deeper, you would find a huge subsection of stories like this all over the country that don't get reported to the media.

/soapbox

Last edited:
Why should KF respond to the letters, phone calls, or even give him the time of day. He's invested enough time an energry with DJK. He gave him every opportunity to get in line and he wouldn't/couldn't. I don't think the Iowa program should waste another second thinking about DJK.

There are...and I almost posted something last night to that exact point, saying that I guess I didn't have proof that they DIDN'T give him some sort of ultimatum, which leaves us back where we started.

Not directed at you, but in general, there is a certain segment of the fan base that is going to take Ferentz' side regardless of the situation because it seems they view him as infallible. When things go bad with a player, the player is an idiot. When things go good with a player, Ferentz handled it the right way. When things go right on the field, it's "In Kirk We Trust." When things go bad on the field, it's "Fire O'Keefe!" He's so beyond reproach with some people that it's nauseating...Jon posted a story last week (?) about the post-spring game "extra-curricular" stuff that Chic and KF did for a family. A good story, for sure, but it seems there are some that think that Ferentz is the only coach that does things like this. They complain that these stories aren't the ones that grab the headlines...I'm pretty sure if you dug through the headlines a little deeper, you would find a huge subsection of stories like this that don't get reported to the media.

/soapbox

In some ways, I could probably be labeled as one of those who stand pretty tight with a coach, partly because I've coached HS school kids in the past.

I do have to say that DJK saying he's not lying can be looked at with a critical eye based on the fact he was using drugs... I'm sure no one in the media came right out and asked if he was doing drugs (prior to the arrests), but if they did... would he have been truthful? I doubt it. The decision to do drugs in itself becomes a lie, whether anyone knew or not. Also, rooming with a guy who deals in drugs shows an unwillingness to avoid that environment totally...

All this points to a pattern of decision making that the coaches had to deal with for 4 years. So is there actual proof of where a coach actually gave him an ultimatum? No. But I think if I were a gambling man, I'd feel pretty comfortable in taking bets in favor of KF giving one...

Arent' there 2 sides to every story? You have DJK's side, but what about KF's side. Do you know for a fact that they never talked with him? I didn't think so. Always best to get both side of the story and ALL of the facts before drawing a conclusion and passing judgement.

But DJK said so. And DJK also said that DJK isn't a liar. I think you can take that to the bank.

Why should KF respond to the letters, phone calls, or even give him the time of day. He's invested enough time an energry with DJK. He gave him every opportunity to get in line and he wouldn't/couldn't. I don't think the Iowa program should waste another second thinking about DJK.

+1,000,000. And some people on here treat DJK like a god and hang onto every word that is written about him. Time to let it go. He f'ed up and was booted.

The funny thing is that you will probably never hear him or ARob **** and moan about being left off of a season highlight video. Im guessing they could not care less, but go to Hawkeyenation.com and there is a multi page thread of people complaining about it claiming they know how it should have been handled.

Make your own highlight video and include them if you so choose.

My guess is that people outside the football program know 1/10 of 1% of what goes on inside the program. I was amazed at how enthralled Murph and Andy were with him, buying whatever DJK was selling. I like the part where he told them how honest he was, because, you know, that's just the kind of guy he is. Except, of course, for the part about violating team rules. Not really in his interest to be too honest about that while it was going on.

Great football player, brought a lot of excitement and joy to Hawkeye fans the past 4 years. That's what we know about him. We can celebrate that. But, I think it's wrong to, in any way, make KF out to be a villain in this or attempt to condescend to him by telling him to "stay classy".

Pretty low of KF if he really didn't tell DJK he was off the team or told his assistants not to talk to him about it also....

Also don't like how DJK saying KF has his favorites causing having favorites on any team as a coach is just going to cause issues in the long run.

Pretty low of KF if he really didn't tell DJK he was off the team or told his assistants not to talk to him about it also....

Also don't like how DJK saying KF has his favorites causing having favorites on any team as a coach is just going to cause issues in the long run.

He's been our coach for what, 13 years now? I'm pretty sure if it was going to cause issues it would have reared it's head by now.

I'd guess that KF's favorites are players who aren't living with drug dealers, using cocaine, and being a-holes.

I, for one, am glad Iowa has a coach that has a set of rules that are to be followed in order to run a successful program and look out for the welfare of 100+ student athletes each year. As talented as he was, DJK always appeared to view himself as bigger than Kirk's structure. DJK had the chance to finish his career as one of the most heralded, appreciated players in Iowa football history. He blew it, and brought disgrace to the program.

I have no problem with Kirk or the staff turning a cold shoulder.

I think DJK is being honest. Hell, he spilled all the beans to the cops right away when he was busted...remember?(Why, Why did you talk??).

That does seem bush that Ferentz/staff wouldn’t say anything...but I give Kirk the benefit.

I really hope that over time DJK is allowed back into the good graces of the program. If the records are deleted that would be ******** and a shame. The guy loves the Hawks. He gets a pass from me based on his performance in some of the games this past year, when the entire f’ing team gave up, except for DJK (Minnesota).

Is Ballard a disgrace? He was lieing by not telling the team he was smoking pot... Based on some comment on this board. All record should be deleted?

Is Ballard a disgrace? He was lieing by not telling the team he was smoking pot... Based on some comment on this board. All record should be deleted?

Im going to go ahead and go out on a limb and assume that Ballard had not previously dug himself the type of hole that DJK did. Try comparing apples to apples next time.

I think everyone being so up in arms about DJK now that he is no longer a Hawk is a little Catch-22.. everyone can be so hard on him now that his playing days are over and he is no longer scoring uber points for us, leading us to victory, and being the greatest receiver to ever play in the Black 'n Gold.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with anyone that is upset with DJK's actions, as he did bring a lot of unwanted press and anguish to the football program. I think one of the reasons we are all so hurt over what he did is because Iowa fans are a lot different than a lot of other CFB fans, we actually FEEL like we are part of the team because we love the Hawks so much.. and anyone who does anything to hurt it, should be taken behind the woodshed. We feel that not only is a player embarrassing the program, but also embarrassing each of us a little bit.

With that being said, I say we be grateful for what #15 did for us in his career.. ON THE FIELD.. he led the Hawkeyes to places they could not have been without him, and that's hard to deny. I would never once think of omitting DJK from the Iowa history books, he did A LOT of good things for this program.

Is he a moron who made some bad (read: awful, stupid, foolish, moronic) choices? You bet your behind he is.

Is he one of the greatest (of our era) to step foot on the hallowed grounds of Kinnick stadium? You bet your behind he is.

Thanks for all you did for the Black 'n Gold #15. You will not be forgotten (in more than one light).

I'm not in a position to take anyone's side in this matter because I don't have the required information to make an informed decision, or for that matter to even speculate. Neither do you, nor anyone else.

I don't know what DJK was told, not told, given an ultimatum, or anything else. As such, I can't formulate any option and for that matter, I don't see any need to either.

Believe it or not, there doesn't always have to be someone to blame. Most people in today's socienty don't understand that, but it's actually true. :)

Not directed at you, but in general, there is a certain segment of the fan base that is going to take Ferentz' side regardless of the situation because it seems they view him as infallible. When things go bad with a player, the player is an idiot. When things go good with a player, Ferentz handled it the right way. When things go right on the field, it's "In Kirk We Trust." When things go bad on the field, it's "Fire O'Keefe!" He's so beyond reproach with some people that it's nauseating...Jon posted a story last week (?) about the post-spring game "extra-curricular" stuff that Chic and KF did for a family. A good story, for sure, but it seems there are some that think that Ferentz is the only coach that does things like this. They complain that these stories aren't the ones that grab the headlines...I'm pretty sure if you dug through the headlines a little deeper, you would find a huge subsection of stories like this that don't get reported to the media.

/soapbox

Do those of us outside the program know all the DJK incidents and conversations that took place between Ferentz / IA coaches and this player during his time with the program? Answer = No

I would suspect that Ferentz and staff best know how to handle this situation (based on their history with the individual) not those of us sitting in the right field bleachers.

I'm not sure anyone here is suggesting that DJK-hole's records should be deleted from the record books at Iowa.