I really hope this isn't true...

I may have missed this, but you've got proof he gave him an ultimatum? Or was the understanding just that he was on a short leash? Either way, I don't understand why you can't be a stand-up guy and let the guy know he's off the team. Sure, the implication that he'd get booted was there, but to receive confirmation through the media and never really get any sort of official notice from the football department? I guess I still fail to see how that's defend-able.

> Again, if true, stay classy KF...

If I recall correctly, this is how you closed your original post.

Need any of us say more?

As far as I'm concerned, this is okay. I don't care for the way DJK and A-Rob were excluded from the season highlight video, but this is different. At this point, any relationship between Ferentz and DJK would be a personal one, not representative of the program in any way. And DJK earned a cold shoulder in that regard.

Did I post somewhere that it was my "top concern?" Please inform me if I did because I don't remember that.

I thought it was ****** that no one from the football program bothered to tell him he was off the team. Was it owed to him? Probably not, especially if you read the replies in this thread. Would it have been the stand-up thing to do? I think so.

You need to let it go. DJK is 100% at fault here and no one from the Iowa staff owes him a thing, period...............

Keeler sits down for a chat with DJK | Hawk Central

I was gone all Easter weekend, so maybe this got posted, but I didn't see it.

An excerpt:

Again, if true, stay classy KF...:rolleyes:

Here's the thing...........I nearly didn't read this because I knew what would be going on in here, but let’s really break it down. I enjoy logic and right of the bat a drug user, by definition is NOT a honest person. Now I get that you might think hey it should be legal or it isn’t that big a deal, but whenever you enter into something illegal you immediately forfeit your ability to say you are “honestâ€â€¦..

Furthermore when you join, get hired or are “offered†inclusion into something you need to abide by their rules in which case you show that you are NOT above the “group†and you agree their rules are “ok†by you….one of said rules was most assuredly NOT to use drugs……..at every turn Derrell proved himself as a lair, a rule breaker and above the rules….

Most importantly he still hasn’t found his mirror……..ironically enuff I am having a somewhat similar situation at work right now and if my “guy†(a friend actually and a good salesman) left, I too wouldn’t stay in touch with him. He has worn me out…..

Chad

Most importantly he still hasn’t found his mirror……..ironically enuff I am having a somewhat similar situation at work right now and if my “guyâ€￾ (a friend actually and a good salesman) left, I too wouldn’t stay in touch with him. He has worn me out…..
Chad

So let's say you have to fire that guy...are you going to have one of his buddies tell him on a lunch break one day? And if he makes any attempt to talk to you would you ignore him?

The kid craves attention more than anything. Ignoring him was probably the best way to punish him.

I think people who have been critical over the way Kirk handled DJK have been proven wrong repeatedly.

Ding, ding, ding................more to the truth I think people who have been critical of KF period have more often than not proved to be pretty short sighted.

Chad

So let's say you have to fire that guy...are you going to have one of his buddies tell him on a lunch break one day? And if he makes any attempt to talk to you would you ignore him?

Do you know the accuracy of your own complaint? You jumped all over KF, but other than DJK, has anyone else reported this was the way in which he learned of his dismissal from the team? I guess you can choose to rely on DJK's account if you want. Why would he make that up? Hmmm.

I'm as disappointed in the way Kirk has handled this as I was in DJK that he made such a foolish choice. Poor behavior by one individual does not absolve another from treating that person like a human being. I'm disappointed in them both.

Really................because a jilted 23 year old "kid" has painted the picture he wants seen...really?!?!

I'd say the fact that KF hasn't publically taken the bait speaks volumes about what he is all about. I wouldn't be so strong....

Chad

There are...and I almost posted something last night to that exact point, saying that I guess I didn't have proof that they DIDN'T give him some sort of ultimatum, which leaves us back where we started.

Not directed at you, but in general, there is a certain segment of the fan base that is going to take Ferentz' side regardless of the situation because it seems they view him as infallible. When things go bad with a player, the player is an idiot. When things go good with a player, Ferentz handled it the right way. When things go right on the field, it's "In Kirk We Trust." When things go bad on the field, it's "Fire O'Keefe!" He's so beyond reproach with some people that it's nauseating...Jon posted a story last week (?) about the post-spring game "extra-curricular" stuff that Chic and KF did for a family. A good story, for sure, but it seems there are some that think that Ferentz is the only coach that does things like this. They complain that these stories aren't the ones that grab the headlines...I'm pretty sure if you dug through the headlines a little deeper, you would find a huge subsection of stories like this all over the country that don't get reported to the media.

/soapbox

The reverse of what you said is of course also true and honestly where the problem really lies. Some people are so anti establishment that they need KF to be wrong about things. The reality is they cause this stuff.

I think you’ll find (me in particular) most people are less “KF does no wrong†than they are……life’s tough and who am I to pi&^% on someone else’s parade without ANY real info or experience in said matters. Honestly NO BODY is infallible and I sincerely doubt most think KF is. What they do think is here is a guy that does it the right way. He has won a lot of football games and did it without a lot of fanfare that some schools have and we are now higher on the pecking order for it………..THAT GUY deserves the benefit of the doubt!

But see that’s not the society we live in anymore, so we have a crowd of fans that need to call him out for anything that “pains†them, things that generally end up making them look like re-actionist and KF look like he is indeed, in control. And then they manufacture this….â€KF isn’t a saint crapâ€â€¦.

I say get over it…critiquing is fine but complaining, calling coaches out of touch, idiots, “bad†or just plain “WRONG†when they really have NO clue, honestly makes them look stupid in my opinion.

Chad

Why is it that you continue to draw conclusions when you only have 1/2 of the facts. Here's your statement:

I thought it was ****** that no one from the football program bothered to tell him he was off the team. Was it owed to him? Probably not, especially if you read the replies in this thread. Would it have been the stand-up thing to do? I think so.

You're believing this to be true because DJK said it. Do you know factually that no one from the IA football staff talked to him? Answer=NO. Why do you continue to harp on this when you really have no idea what happened?

Now....if (and that's a qualified IF) it happened the way DJK is portraying it to be, one could surmise the following:

It could have been made 100% clear that if one more f***-up occurs, you're off the team. No discussion, no excuses, you're out.

If that was the expectation that was made, then it wouldn't seem at all out on line that no one told him.

Again, none of us has any of the facts as to what happened so it's really all a moot point and a non-issue.

Why is it that you continue to draw conclusions when you only have 1/2 of the facts. Here's your statement:

You're believing this to be true because DJK said it. Do you know factually that no one from the IA football staff talked to him? Answer=NO. Why do you continue to harp on this when you really have no idea what happened?

Now....if (and that's a qualified IF) it happened the way DJK is portraying it to be, one could surmise the following:

It could have been made 100% clear that if one more f***-up occurs, you're off the team. No discussion, no excuses, you're out.

If that was the expectation that was made, then it wouldn't seem at all out on line that no one told him.

Again, none of us has any of the facts as to what happened so it's really all a moot point and a non-issue.

Because this is what the OP said...

Again, if true

Perhaps my subsequent statements have come off as more matter-of-fact and less speculative, and that's my fault.

There are...and I almost posted something last night to that exact point, saying that I guess I didn't have proof that they DIDN'T give him some sort of ultimatum, which leaves us back where we started.

Not directed at you, but in general, there is a certain segment of the fan base that is going to take Ferentz' side regardless of the situation because it seems they view him as infallible. When things go bad with a player, the player is an idiot. When things go good with a player, Ferentz handled it the right way. When things go right on the field, it's "In Kirk We Trust." When things go bad on the field, it's "Fire O'Keefe!" He's so beyond reproach with some people that it's nauseating...Jon posted a story last week (?) about the post-spring game "extra-curricular" stuff that Chic and KF did for a family. A good story, for sure, but it seems there are some that think that Ferentz is the only coach that does things like this. They complain that these stories aren't the ones that grab the headlines...I'm pretty sure if you dug through the headlines a little deeper, you would find a huge subsection of stories like this all over the country that don't get reported to the media.

/soapbox

I don't view Ferentz as infallible. However, I do believe that his record of integrity is impressive. I believe that Ferentz has set a precedent that is pretty uncommon among folks in the coaching ranks. In a game where most folks "sell," "spin," and "connive" ... plain and simple, Ferentz doesn't.

I would agree that DJK might have deserved his dismissal from the team in-person if he still had the respect of the coaching staff. However, DJK had repeatedly "wronged" the staff and the team. DJK ran out of "2nd chances" .... and lost the respect of Ferentz and Co.

Perhaps it's just me ... but to me, respect must be earned. If DJK wanted to be treated with respect and "like a man" ... then his actions should have reflected that he deserved some treatment. I don't think that it's a given that everybody deserves such due respect. Again, consequently, that is why I'm fine with how Ferentz and Co treated the situation.

I think DJK is being honest. Hell, he spilled all the beans to the cops right away when he was busted...remember?(Why, Why did you talk??).

That does seem bush that Ferentz/staff wouldn’t say anything...but I give Kirk the benefit.

I really hope that over time DJK is allowed back into the good graces of the program. If the records are deleted that would be ******** and a shame. The guy loves the Hawks. He gets a pass from me based on his performance in some of the games this past year, when the entire f’ing team gave up, except for DJK (Minnesota).

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I want to stress that is "your" opinion....DJK could have got a hand on that INT vs NW in which case it doesn’t get picked and we win. Yes Stanzi shouldn’t have thrown it, but what a lousy effort by Derrell and he did that multiple times in his career.

I am always shocked by how quickly people want to bury KF and give DJK a free pass……yes I get that KF isn’t perfect, but he is our coach and a good one. He isn’t doing drugs, he isn’t running his mouth, he isn’t putting himself above the team…He has proven himself over and over and over again and yet a certain segment wants to take the word of a known problem child of which I used to be myself…..Where were you guys when I needed someone to defend me…:cool:

Chad

Was it owed to him? Probably not, especially if you read the replies in this thread. Would it have been the stand-up thing to do? I think so.

If a good friend of yours sleeps with your wife .... do they deserve the stand-up response of being told that they can no longer count on you as a friend? Or do they deserve to get decked?

Quite frankly, it's a stand-up response in itself to show the restraint of not decking the jerk.

Similarly, our football program is a family. And DJK egregiously (and repeatedly) wronged the family. Rather than embarassing DJK and letting all the fans in on all of DJK's shennanigans .... a response that they would be well within their rights of doing ... they instead just remain silent and turn their backs on him. Maybe it's just me ... but the response given sends the message that DJK doesn't deserve their time ... and that is a good message. Secondly, the response also shows restraint ... because they could have outed DJK, but they didn't. Analogous to the initial hypothetical situation ... is showing such restraint not a stand-up response?

Even prior to DJK's final season ... I know for a fact that many Hawk players who are on NFL squads (and/or practice squads) absolutely despised DJK. And why did they despise him? I think that we can all understand that now ....

The reverse of what you said is of course also true and honestly where the problem really lies. Some people are so anti establishment that they need KF to be wrong about things. The reality is they cause this stuff.

I think you’ll find (me in particular) most people are less “KF does no wrong†than they are……life’s tough and who am I to pi&^% on someone else’s parade without ANY real info or experience in said matters. Honestly NO BODY is infallible and I sincerely doubt most think KF is. What they do think is here is a guy that does it the right way. He has won a lot of football games and did it without a lot of fanfare that some schools have and we are now higher on the pecking order for it………..THAT GUY deserves the benefit of the doubt!

But see that’s not the society we live in anymore, so we have a crowd of fans that need to call him out for anything that “pains†them, things that generally end up making them look like re-actionist and KF look like he is indeed, in control. And then they manufacture this….â€KF isn’t a saint crapâ€â€¦.

I say get over it…critiquing is fine but complaining, calling coaches out of touch, idiots, “bad†or just plain “WRONG†when they really have NO clue, honestly makes them look stupid in my opinion.

Chad

I had a long, detailed response typed out to this post, but decided to delete it. I'm going to go with the short version instead.

I've had a few discussions with you before and the above quoted post would not be the first time you've been both condescending and in no uncertain terms tried putting words into my mouth. I am not sure if it is a function of you thinking your life experiences have given you that much more knowledge than everybody else or if you are just feel the need to prove how much you know in each post you make.

IF TRUE...this is not a case of me being reactionary, looking for something to hang KF for. This has nothing to do with fanfare or his ability to win football games. As for your last paragraph, I haven't really done any of those things, other than to speak to the ALLEGED actions of KF and/or his staff in the dismissal of DJK. If you are looking for name calling in this thread, look no further than those looking to take aim at DJK's character. I'm not trying to defend DJK either...for what he did he clearly deserved the punishment.

If a good friend of yours sleeps with your wife .... do they deserve the stand-up response of being told that they can no longer count on you as a friend? Or do they deserve to get decked?

Quite frankly, it's a stand-up response in itself to show the restraint of not decking the jerk.

Similarly, our football program is a family. And DJK egregiously (and repeatedly) wronged the family. Rather than embarassing DJK and letting all the fans in on all of DJK's shennanigans .... a response that they would be well within their rights of doing ... they instead just remain silent and turn their backs on him. Maybe it's just me ... but the response given sends the message that DJK doesn't deserve their time ... and that is a good message. Secondly, the response also shows restraint ... because they could have outed DJK, but they didn't. Analogous to the initial hypothetical situation ... is showing such restraint not a stand-up response?

Even prior to DJK's final season ... I know for a fact that many Hawk players who are on NFL squads (and/or practice squads) absolutely despised DJK. And why did they despise him? I think that we can all understand that now ....

I’ve been leaning this way for some time but I really NOW believe, an Iowa without DJK is a better Iowa football team next year. The staff should have booted him 2 years ago…and yet we still have fans on the Hawkeye Report (I can’t hardly go over there anymore) that are convinced he was did wrong and he was the team….man did he give up on a lot of plays, but people refused to see it. When he was on he was money, but he choked off plenty as well

Chad

Honestly I don't think that's a very fitting analogy at all. You would liken a coach/player relationship to a friend/friend relationship?

I’ve been leaning this way for some time but I really NOW believe, an Iowa without DJK is a better Iowa football team next year. The staff should have booted him 2 years ago…and yet we still have fans on the Hawkeye Report (I can’t hardly go over there anymore) that are convinced he was did wrong and he was the team….man did he give up on a lot of plays, but people refused to see it. When he was on he was money, but he choked off plenty as well

Chad

cmhawks -

Some Hawk fans see what DJK did on the field ... and they view those exploits as being "enough" to earn the respect of those in the Hawk program. They view all that production as being to the betterment of the program.

However, what they don't ask is ... what harm has DJK also done to the program? Not only could DJK's presense have caused a "divide" on the team ... which is a VERY negative thing .... but who is to say that Keenan Davis would not have blossomed earlier had DJK been gone sooner? If DJK had gone earlier ... perhaps McNutt would have received more reps earlier. Maybe McNutt could have been further along development-wise. With both McNutt and Davis further along development-wise ... what great plays could they have made for us? Maybe if DJK hadn't have been around, maybe that would have impacted the type and sort of reps that Sandeman would/could have received. Maybe then Sandeman wouldn't have gotten the same injuries then ... and then perhaps could have had a more productive career. Maybe ... just maybe ... Sandeman was robbed the opportunity of being the second coming of CJ Jones and/or Ed Hinkel?

DJK may have had a great career at Iowa ... however, had he not been at Iowa, who is to say that others would not have elevated their game in his absence?

I had a long, detailed response typed out to this post, but decided to delete it. I'm going to go with the short version instead.

I've had a few discussions with you before and the above quoted post would not be the first time you've been both condescending and in no uncertain terms tried putting words into my mouth. I am not sure if it is a function of you thinking your life experiences have given you that much more knowledge than everybody else or if you are just feel the need to prove how much you know in each post you make.

IF TRUE...this is not a case of me being reactionary, looking for something to hang KF for. This has nothing to do with fanfare or his ability to win football games. As for your last paragraph, I haven't really done any of those things, other than to speak to the ALLEGED actions of KF and/or his staff in the dismissal of DJK. If you are looking for name calling in this thread, look no further than those looking to take aim at DJK's character. I'm not trying to defend DJK either...for what he did he clearly deserved the punishment.

Pump the brakes a tick here old friend....I am aware that at times I come off as pompous and condescending, but I’m not sure where the condescension is in this particular post.

I also try to be careful about finger pointing and tend to be a be a little vague about calling singular people out (after all I dialogue for a living and am careful to leave myself an escape clause….:cool:)

In this particular instance I am not in any way trying nefariously to suggest you did any of the above, other than feel the need to take DJK’s case up in the court of public opinion. So somewhat by proxy you align yourself with a whole lot of folks who share similar and even stronger views than yourself….unfair, perhaps but that is the internet all the same.

Chad

Latest posts