I have new respect for how difficult Rob/Jon's job is.

Fran's never even been linked to a graduate transfer before so it's probably a moot point but if he ever did try I'm sure other schools would point that he said that. How about I ask you this question: do you think Fran would be able to bring in a graduate transfer next season that could help the team if a scholarship opens up? I sure don't think he could and we wouldn't be an attractive option for any impact graduate transfers anyways.

I try not to get caught up in absolutes, like saying "no way that happens." It's dangerous, especially when talking about college athletics. Too many moving parts.

I do think Fran could land a GT that could help the team. Will he? I don't know. My guess he's not the only coach in the country that doesn't like the rule in football or basketball. I don't think that would impact his ability to land one. If he didn't get one after trying it would be for other reasons.

Fran hasn't needed to rely on grad transfers for his programs because he hasn't been in this position all too often. Who's to say he won't change his tune after experiencing a very humbling season? He also wasn't at programs that were attractive to graduate transfers in the past. He said he doesn't like the rule, not that he wouldn't play by it. That's honestly one of the craziest takes I've heard. I bet no NFL coach likes the way PI's are called, but they damn sure take advantage of that rule. Geno Crandall at North Dakota I imagine would be interested in Iowa and playing at Iowa and in the B1G if the opportunity and circumstances align. Dale Jones is there. Dean Oliver was there. There is connection. Not saying that will happen, just saying, the odds of it happening or not happening are exactly the same.

I think if people expect Fran to go after a grad transfer PG/Combo guard, when that's the position Connor plays, those people should prepare themselves for disappointment. Do yourself that favor. Go find a mirror, look right at it and tell yourself "it's not gonna happen". That way you won't be disappointed.

Fran's never even been linked to a graduate transfer before so it's probably a moot point but if he ever did try I'm sure other schools would point that he said that.
Big goddamn deal. You want to get anywhere in the world you need to eat a little shit now and then. It happens.

How about I ask you this question: do you think Fran would be able to bring in a graduate transfer next season that could help the team if a scholarship opens up?.
Iowa basketball is floundering right now as bad or worse than it did under Slick Lick, largely in part to not having a serviceable point guard (the Jo-Bo fanboys can save the flaming, I don't care nor will I change my mind).

If you think (especially in today's age of 2% of total players being grad transfers) that the staff isn't scouring the country for someone to penetrate to the hoop and relieve mid-court pressure, you're nuts. This Hawkeye team plays NAIA-level defense, and the only way they're going to win games next year is by preventing the double teams, drawing fouls on the drive, and allowing Cook and Bohannon better shots. You do that with a PG. This team is easily above .500 in the conference if Gesell is playing.

If there's a warm body out there who can put his head down and make some space, Fran's going to jump on it.

I sure don't think he could and we wouldn't be an attractive option for any impact graduate transfers anyways.
Hmm...

Immediate playing time on a Big Ten team isn't attractive?

Jesus man, we're not looking for someone who could go from Briar Cliff to Duke, for god's sake. Just someone who can play the spot.

I think if people expect Fran to go after a grad transfer PG/Combo guard, when that's the position Connor plays, those people should prepare themselves for disappointment.
If that were the case he wouldn't have been so pissed about Christian Williams. He didn't know Connor was going to be hurt and sick at that time.

Big goddamn deal. You want to get anywhere in the world you need to eat a little shit now and then. It happens.

Iowa basketball is floundering right now as bad or worse than it did under Slick Lick, largely in part to not having a serviceable point guard (the Jo-Bo fanboys can save the flaming, I don't care nor will I change my mind).

If you think (especially in today's age of 2% of total players being grad transfers) that the staff isn't scouring the country for someone to penetrate to the hoop and relieve mid-court pressure, you're nuts. This Hawkeye team plays NAIA-level defense, and the only way they're going to win games next year is by preventing the double teams, drawing fouls on the drive, and allowing Cook and Bohannon better shots. You do that with a PG. This team is easily above .500 in the conference if Gesell is playing.

If there's a warm body out there who can put his head down and make some space, Fran's going to jump on it.

Hmm...

Immediate playing time on a Big Ten team isn't attractive?

Jesus man, we're not looking for someone who could go from Briar Cliff to Duke, for god's sake. Just someone who can play the spot.

An impact graduate transfer is going to want to play at a good school that will go to the Tournament not go a team that will be lucky to get to the NIT if they were to join.

Since Fran is going to have 2 combo guards (Connor, Fredrick) and a 2/3 guard in JW coming in next year, I'm going to speculate that Fran's not out looking for more guards. I've been wrong before.

Fran hasn't needed to rely on grad transfers for his programs because he hasn't been in this position all too often. Who's to say he won't change his tune after experiencing a very humbling season? He also wasn't at programs that were attractive to graduate transfers in the past. He said he doesn't like the rule, not that he wouldn't play by it. That's honestly one of the craziest takes I've heard. I bet no NFL coach likes the way PI's are called, but they damn sure take advantage of that rule. Geno Crandall at North Dakota I imagine would be interested in Iowa and playing at Iowa and in the B1G if the opportunity and circumstances align. Dale Jones is there. Dean Oliver was there. There is connection. Not saying that will happen, just saying, the odds of it happening or not happening are exactly the same.

If Fran didn't think we needed an athletic guard this off season then he's crazier than I thought. Oh wait Christian Williams was going to be that guy but he transferred down a level haha! If he didn't try to get one last year when it was obvious we needed one why do you think he'll try this year?

Prepare yourself. That's my advice to you.
I’m not holding my breath on anything and if I had to bet my life on it I don’t think Iowa will make the MCAA or NIT next year. So there’s nothing to prepare for.

What I was getting at was if Fran had a shot at a point guard he’s not dense enough to pass because his kid’s coming up.

I’m not holding my breath on anything and if I had to bet my life on it I don’t think Iowa will make the MCAA or NIT next year. So there’s nothing to prepare for.

What I was getting at was if Fran had a shot at a point guard he’s not dense enough to pass because his kid’s coming up.
He's already passed on a lot better players than what's on the current roster. But that's his decision and he has to deal with where it's got his team.

If that were the case he wouldn't have been so pissed about Christian Williams. He didn't know Connor was going to be hurt and sick at that time.

Williams wasn't good and the last thing this team needs is another mid major talent player to add to an already over inflated rotation. Him leaving helped the program more than him tying up a scholarship in the future.

Williams wasn't good and the last thing this team needs is another mid major talent player to add to an already over inflated rotation. Him leaving helped the program more than him tying up a scholarship in the future.

There is talent there, but this team is just mentally weak and very lazy. Some of the worst breakdowns and defensive efforts I’ve seen in years.

Lick’s teams lacked talent. This team lacks leadership and focus.

There is talent there, but this team is just mentally weak and very lazy. Some of the worst breakdowns and defensive efforts I’ve seen in years.

Lick’s teams lacked talent. This team lacks leadership and focus.

This is the least likeable team I can ever remember watching. They came into the season way over confident and they are just so lazy. They definitely are earning everything that's came their way this season plus you can tell Fran has mailed it in and just insists on saying our offense is the issue.

If Fran didn't think we needed an athletic guard this off season then he's crazier than I thought. Oh wait Christian Williams was going to be that guy but he transferred down a level haha! If he didn't try to get one last year when it was obvious we needed one why do you think he'll try this year?

I don't think it was obvious - it wasn't to the fan base, the media or anyone else that this team would struggle like this. People expected the loss of Jok to make an impact, but not like this. It's glaringly obvious now. Again, the odds of Fran getting a grad transfer or NOT getting a grad transfer this off season are the exact same. In fact, I would say the chances are slightly better because of the results of this year ... people don't tend to change or do something about something unless there is problem. We are adding 3 guards next season too - one who is equally as "athletic" as Jok was, and another PG - that won't "hurt" - but I would like to see Fran go get someone else and push Brady on.

This is the least likeable team I can ever remember watching. They came into the season way over confident and they are just so lazy. They definitely are earning everything that's came their way this season plus you can tell Fran has mailed it in and just insists on saying our offense is the issue.

I really like the team as far "likability" - but yeah, they came in over confident, didn't iron out their issues in the off season and they are now seeing that play out on the court. What else can Fran do if the answer isn't on the team? If you think that Fran and his staff will just kick their feet up after this season because he got a contract extension and doesn't feel the heat to win ball games, I guess you see a different type of person that is Iowa's head coach. Obviously I do - I think Fran and the team wants to win more then the guy calling them all lazy on Hawkeye Nation.

I disagree. I think, for the most part, the guys play hard. And, I know they work hard. It's just not a good team. It's deficient in too many areas to be a good team. And, yes, that's the coach's responsibility.

AND, YES, THAT'S THE COACH'S RESPONSIBLITY

We have a winner....