I have new respect for how difficult Rob/Jon's job is.

Williams wasn't good and the last thing this team needs is another mid major talent player to add to an already over inflated rotation. Him leaving helped the program more than him tying up a scholarship in the future.

I would take Williams over Conner any day.

I really like the team as far "likability" - but yeah, they came in over confident, didn't iron out their issues in the off season and they are now seeing that play out on the court. What else can Fran do if the answer isn't on the team? If you think that Fran and his staff will just kick their feet up after this season because he got a contract extension and doesn't feel the heat to win ball games, I guess you see a different type of person that is Iowa's head coach. Obviously I do - I think Fran and the team wants to win more then the guy calling them all lazy on Hawkeye Nation.

Combine that with the laziness they show on the court and I don't understand how people can say they feel bad for this team because they are working so hard and not getting rewarded.

Combine that with the laziness they show on the court and I don't understand how people can say they feel bad for this team because they are working so hard and not getting rewarded.

You have an opinion. Some people disagree with it. It can't be proven either way. Really, it's OK.

I haven't heard that. I don't feel bad for them at all. They are getting exactly what they deserve. But - adversity, going through tough situations and learning how to get yourself out of them, are what make people who they are. Enjoy calling them lazy from your keyboard

I haven't heard that. I don't feel bad for them at all. They are getting exactly what they deserve. But - adversity, going through tough situations and learning how to get yourself out of them, are what make people who they are. Enjoy calling them lazy from your keyboard

Rob said in this thread this season has been tough because you can see how hard they are working and aren't having success. It doesn't really mater, like he just stated it's a message board and it's OK for people to have differing opinions.

Look...

Football ticket revenue in 2017 was $24.1million

Basketball ticket revenue was $3.7 million.

This should end the argument right here about how much declining ticket sales would impact the department. The UI paid almost two years of total basketball ticket revenue in a settlement because Barta didn't document things well enough and he kept his job. If you think 1k less tickets sold per game is going to move the needle financially you're crazy.

Here's where this discussion started two days ago. Nowhere did I say that this team deserves more. I said it's been a tough season and I don't think it's from a lack of effort, for the most part, from this team. It's not a good team for a variety of reasons. It believe that it works hard and I see how hard the season has been on them. As you said, it's easy to sit at a keyboard anonymously and charge that a group of unpaid student-athletes is lazy. A person can believe that, but it doesn't make it so.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 10.10.19 AM.png

When the University Administration and AD don't care about winning, your job has got to be brutal. I do not envy your position.[/
lipstick_pig_featured.jpg

Here's where this discussion started two days ago. Nowhere did I say that this team deserves more. I said it's been a tough season and I don't think it's from a lack of effort, for the most part, from this team. It's not a good team for a variety of reasons. It believe that it works hard and I see how hard the season has been on them. As you said, it's easy to sit at a keyboard anonymously and charge that a group of unpaid student-athletes is lazy. A person can believe that, but it doesn't make it so.

View attachment 3111

This is the second time in this thread I've been tabbed as the guy behind the keyboard calling student athletes lazy so I take it you don't read the game threads because everyone even @InGoodCo will criticize our players efforts in them.

When you watch the Wolverines repeatedly steal the ball and get 4 guys back to their goal before we get anyone to the top of the key, that’s either laziness or ineptitude. I have a hard time believing that so called D-1 players can’t hustle or at least make an attempt to hold on to the ball (the lazy inbounding steal last night by Michigan). The Hawkeyes got beat time after time last night and every single one of them looks like a wet noodle except for Garza. Bohannon folds up like a lawn chair to double teams, and don’t give me any shit excuse about how that’s why he can’t shoot or score. Guess what, double teams happen when you’re a good shooter. This is big boy basketball and you have to deal with it. You think no other good players out there get double teamed and step their game up to compete? Tell me all you want about how good he is, and how many threes he makes...when the pressure is on and teams play him man, he turtles up. Look at the stats, he either goes lights out or not at all. That’s not good play.

If it’s not laziness and more of an issue of the players not hustling because they’re frustrated or sick of getting beat, then maybe get the F off the court and let Rose and Ash play.

This is the second time in this thread I've been tabbed as the guy behind the keyboard calling student athletes lazy so I take it you don't read the game threads because everyone even @InGoodCo will criticize our players efforts in them.

I have - usually in context of a specific play or game. I don't think the players are above criticism for poor play. That's what fans do. I think I may have questioned effort or said they dogged it on a play when they clearly did. I don't call the entire team lazy all day long.

I have - usually in context of a specific play or game. I don't think the players are above criticism for poor play. That's what fans do. I think I may have questioned effort or said they dogged it on a play when they clearly did. I don't call the entire team lazy all day long.

Neither do I.

Neither do I.

hmm.. I was definitely getting that vibe from you on this post -it's why I commented on it. I don't care if you do, it's just a lil too harsh for me to call a kid I don't know anything about over all lazy. I might say " he dogged it down the court" when someone doesn't run back for a play. I don't think that makes him "lazy".... I'm lazy, i doubt any of those kids are.

Williams was not a good player. He certainly wasn't a BIG caliber PG. Connor might not remind anyone of Isaiah Thomas but he doesn't really have to.

I know that. He went to a high school playing schools like Tri County in size. No brainer.

Conner just isn't Big Ten material.

Williams was the only player Iowa had who could possibly break down a defense. With the right coach he could have been a contributor.

Oh come on, how many college minutes did we see of Conner before he got sick. I know people have seen his HS tape (and in person). I haven't. But really haven't seen enough to make a statement like that. I'm not saying he'll be our savior but to just say based on 20 minutes of game time before he was out that he won't be the guy is silly.

Oh come on, how many college minutes did we see of Conner before he got sick. I know people have seen his HS tape (and in person). I haven't. But really haven't seen enough to make a statement like that. I'm not saying he'll be our savior but to just say based on 20 minutes of game time before he was out that he won't be the guy is silly.
The 20 minutes I saw showed more fundamentals than anyone else on this team has shown all season. So, I'm optimistic.

I know that. He went to a high school playing schools like Tri County in size. No brainer.

Williams was the only player Iowa had who could possibly break down a defense. With the right coach he could have been a contributor.
I think Connor is but I could certainly change my mind if his defense is garbage.
Williams was a small forward/slasher type. He had no jump shot. He didn't have good enough handles to play the PG/2G as a BIG starter. His defense was average, maybe.