I have new respect for how difficult Rob/Jon's job is.

In a previous post in this thread, I said that I don't think the struggles are a lack of effort, for the most part, but more it just not being a good team. There are some talented pieces but, overall, their are too many deficiencies, most notably on the defensive end. I added that ultimately, that's on the coaches. They recruit the players and teach them.

Is this team playing with 100 percent max effort all the time? No. And that's hard to do when you're getting sand kicked in your face continuously. But it's my opinion that poor effort isn't the main reason this team is losing. I don't think it's lazy. I don't think it's good enough for a variety of reasons.
I guess on the effort part, but if you're talent deficient, that's the one card you have to play.

It's discouraging to see the program slip this far. Does the cavalry consist of Connor McCaffery and Joe Weiskamp? Then, is it Patrick McCaffery and whoever? What is his plan? If he can't get the players he wants, then I wouldn't continue to fill out the roster with guys who can't play at this level, leaving no room on the roster, which is the spot they're in now. To me, there are 2 guys on the roster who can play at this level - Cook and Bohannon, with a nod to Baer, sometimes Pemsl and the potential to Garza. The rest are roster fillers, who would probably be fine players at a lower level.

You’re confusing the budget with the actual income statement and balance sheet.

The point of this whole bunch of hooey is that...

1) Ticket sales aren’t going to drop through the floor, and

2) Even if they did it’s small potatoes. Conference money has been way, way more than sport-generated income for several years and that money is going to be there for the foreseeable future and will keep going up.

I don’t know what you consider cord cutting to be, but diehard sports fans who “cut the cord” are going to internet services like Sling and PSVue where they still pay for and watch sports networks. It’s just not on dish or cable. This year the B1G payout increased by over $15 million dollars for Christ’s sake. The increase alone is 5 times what the basketball team pulls in, think about that. Some more empty seats won’t do shit.
That was my overarching point as well. Let's say 3-6 thousand less butts were in the seats/game next yr. That isn't going to affect their bottom line to the extent the fans would want it to. It'd have to be considerably more drastic then that. And even still that'd be a PR thing more so then $. Sure we are talking about millions of dollars but up against what their TV contracts are for the foreseeable future it's not going to get a coach with a large buyout pushed out.

I guess on the effort part, but if you're talent deficient, that's the one card you have to play.

It's discouraging to see the program slip this far. Does the cavalry consist of Connor McCaffery and Joe Weiskamp? Then, is it Patrick McCaffery and whoever? What is his plan? If he can't get the players he wants, then I wouldn't continue to fill out the roster with guys who can't play at this level, leaving no room on the roster, which is the spot they're in now. To me, there are 2 guys on the roster who can play at this level - Cook and Bohannon, with a nod to Baer, sometimes Pemsl and the potential to Garza. The rest are roster fillers, who would probably be fine players at a lower level.

Basketball teams can go up and down pretty quick in a conference as good as the B1G. Northwestern and Minnesota are way off of what was expected of them this season. Iowa also has underachieved. Nebraska and Ohio State have overachieved.

I think at least one scholarship will open up this spring and Iowa will add a guard. If more than one opens up, maybe they can add two guards.

I disagree that there are only two guys on the roster that can play B1G ball. Garza is averaging 10.9 points and 6.4 rebounds as a freshman. Baer was the B1G sixth man of the year last year. He's best suited for that role, IMO.

Moss has flashed solid play, he's just inconsistent. Pemsl and Dailey are certainly capable of being role players on this level. With development, maybe they can be more.

I'm not ready to bail on Nunge, either. He's only a freshman and has a nice skillset.

Wieskamp and Connor McCaffery will help.

Players do get better. There's plenty of evidence of that happening with this coaching staff as well. Guys like Gatens, Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok all played their best ball as upperclassmen.

OK, fire away.

Bohannon is a legit BIG offensive player
Cook is a legit BIG offensive player
Garza is a legit BIG offensive player
Baer is a BIG role player
Nunge is a legit BIG development player at the 4/5
Moss is a legit BIG development player at the 3
The rest of the roster are career BIG back ups.
That leaves us with 3 BIG players that are capable of playing on 1 end of the floor. A role player that plays on both ends. A couple of development prospects that we can count on contributing down the road.
If we consider Connor and Joe Weiskamp legit BIG players on both ends of the floor, we have a starting roster that looks like this.
Connor
Bohannon
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza
Which still leaves us with a starting line up where 3 of the 5 players are only capable on 1 end of the floor. That's a recipe for a 7 to 9 win BIG season. Tops.

That leaves us with 3 BIG players that are capable of playing on 1 end of the floor. A role player that plays on both ends. A couple of development prospects that we can count on contributing down the road.
If we consider Connor and Joe Weiskamp legit BIG players on both ends of the floor, we have a starting roster that looks like this.
Connor
Bohannon
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza
Which still leaves us with a starting line up where 3 of the 5 players are only capable on 1 end of the floor. That's a recipe for a 7 to 9 win BIG season. Tops.
There's two ends of the floor and most of our guys aren't any good at the defensive end. Either individually or collectively. These guys can put up 80 plus often enough to where that's not really the issue. (sometimes it has been as well but not for the most part) But if you are giving up the season high for points scored for the majority of the teams your up against it just won't bode well for ya..

Basketball teams can go up and down pretty quick in a conference as good as the B1G. Northwestern and Minnesota are way off of what was expected of them this season. Iowa also has underachieved. Nebraska and Ohio State have overachieved.

I think at least one scholarship will open up this spring and Iowa will add a guard. If more than one opens up, maybe they can add two guards.

I disagree that there are only two guys on the roster that can play B1G ball. Garza is averaging 10.9 points and 6.4 rebounds as a freshman. Baer was the B1G sixth man of the year last year. He's best suited for that role, IMO.

Moss has flashed solid play, he's just inconsistent. Pemsl and Dailey are certainly capable of being role players on this level. With development, maybe they can be more.

I'm not ready to bail on Nunge, either. He's only a freshman and has a nice skillset.

Players do get better. There's plenty of evidence of that happening with this coaching staff as well. Guys like Gatens, Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok all played their best ball as upperclassmen.

OK, fire away.
I listened to Jon and Deaces pod cast on them a little while ago. Jon had an interesting idea on how maybe if they committed to being a zone defensive team and just worked their tails off at the strategy of that they could improve at that end of the floor some... I just think playing zone hurts us so bad in regards to rebounding and giving up 2nd shots it's a moot point. But who knows anything is worth trying when you as down as they are.

There's two ends of the floor and most of our guys aren't any good at the defensive end. Either individually or collectively. These guys can put up 80 plus often enough to where that's not really the issue. (sometimes it has been as well but not for the most part) But if you are giving up the season high for points scored for the majority of the teams your up against it just won't bode well for ya..
Yeah. That's why I clearly put "offensive" next to the names of certain players and made other distinctions as I went through the post.

I listened to Jon and Deaces pod cast on them a little while ago. Jon had an interesting idea on how maybe if they committed to being a zone defensive team and just worked their tails off at the strategy of that they could improve at that end of the floor some... I just think playing zone hurts us so bad in regards to rebounding and giving up 2nd shots it's a moot point. But who knows anything is worth trying when you as down as they are.
It's becoming more difficult to play zone defense effectively, in college basketball. Too many players shoot outside the arc these days. But I do agree with playing 1 defense and sticking with it. At least you won't be bad because of confusion of responsibility.

Connor
Bohannon
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

One of those considerations is at best a hope. I also would question what Garza has done in big Big games. He had 9 against MSU when Cook was getting a lot of a attention.

What is that chart telling us? Which line is actual costs and which line is actual revenue? Thanks.
There are three columns. The first is the 2017 budget, the second is the 2017 estimated ins/outs (books weren't closed yet), and the third is the 2018 budget.

The top section is expected income, and the bottom section is expected expenses, both of which have to balance. It's a typical zero-based budget.

OK, fire away.
Reasonable minds can differ. I hope you're correct, I don't mind being wrong. I don't disagree about Baer, it's more a matter of degree, he's a role player who has proven he can contribute at this level, but not as a go to guy. I also like Garza, his potential is there - and he does appear to give max effort when he's on the floor. I'm just not sold on Moss or Dailey ever being consistent BT level players - in spurts, but not as reliable guys, which is what they need. I'd like to think that Weiskamp and Connor McC will take their minutes, but will it be enough of a difference? Nunge just doesn't seem quick enough, maybe he's playing out of position. Again, I'd love to be wrong.

OK, fire away.

Where is he going to find a guard? He's openly said that the graduate transfer rule is the worst rule in the history of basketball so I don't see him going that route. There aren't going to be much out there for High School and Juco guards this off season.

It's becoming more difficult to play zone defense effectively, in college basketball. Too many players shoot outside the arc these days. But I do agree with playing 1 defense and sticking with it. At least you won't be bad because of confusion of responsibility.
Yeah I'm not sure what'll work and what wouldn't for this group. Going zone like you said opens us up for getting 3s rained in on them and giving up offensive rebounds left and right if they do miss. I tend to be a fan of mixing up Ds and not letting a team get comfy playing a ton of possessions in a row against ya doing the same thing. But that only matters if you do any of them well sometimes. So heck if I know

Where is he going to find a guard? He's openly said that the graduate transfer rule is the worst rule in the history of basketball so I don't see him going that route. There aren't going to be much out there for High School and Juco guards this off season.

He's recruited grad transfers in the past. Just because he doesn't like the rule doesn't mean he won't utilize it.

Can't think of one off the top of my head. Covering basketball and football recruiting, it's tough to retain all the names. But Iowa has looked at graduate transfers. And it won't just ignore them if it makes there team better because Fran was quoted as saying he doesn't like the rule.

Can't think of one off the top of my head. Covering basketball and football recruiting, it's tough to retain all the names. But Iowa has looked at graduate transfers. And it won't just ignore them if it makes there team better because Fran was quoted as saying he doesn't like the rule.

I can't ever remember a time when Fran was linked to a graduate transfer so I'm not buying that he's gone after one. Even if he does I don't see him landing one when he's publicly said it's the worst rule ever and that graduate transfers should have to sit out a year before they could become eligible.

I can't ever remember a time when Fran was linked to a graduate transfer so I'm not buying that he's gone after one. Even if he does I don't see him landing one when he's publicly said it's the worst rule ever and that graduate transfers should have to sit out a year before they could become eligible.

So, you think because Fran said that, a GT that could come to a B1G school on scholarship and play would pass?

Nope. That's the coach that doesn't like the grad transfer rule. Not going there.

So, you think because Fran said that, a GT that could come to a B1G school on scholarship and play would pass?

Nope. That's the coach that doesn't like the grad transfer rule. Not going there.

Fran's never even been linked to a graduate transfer before so it's probably a moot point but if he ever did try I'm sure other schools would point that he said that. How about I ask you this question: do you think Fran would be able to bring in a graduate transfer next season that could help the team if a scholarship opens up? I sure don't think he could and we wouldn't be an attractive option for any impact graduate transfers anyways.

Latest posts