I don't really get it.

CAARHawk

Banned
Iowa has basically won the games it was expected to win and lost the games it was expected to lose. If they continue to do so for the rest of the season they will be pretty much right where everyone expected them to be going into the B10 Tournament.

It seemed the consensus was that they were going to have to win a couple of games in the B10 Tournament to get into the dance. Well, to do so, they will have to beat one of these teams they were not expected to beat, which will give them that marquee victory right after a nice final run at the end of the conference season.

I just don't quite understand how things are different now than what was expected before the season.

The Hawks are right about where I thought they would be. With the exception of winning one of these close games. That said the team is shooting much worse than I had expected. I thought for certain we would be shooting better than last year. The new facilities were to help, but it seems to have hurt....maybe that is the problem??? WE were use to shooting in the arena, with seats in the back ground. Now it is some closed wall gym. Maybe?

Besides that, I had expected Marble to have a better year, and not have a worse year. So that is why I don't get it.

We need to change a few things. But it doesn't look like Fran is going to do it.

DM makes some good points. I am not necessarily disappointed with the record and think McCaffrey and his staff have done some nice coaching, especially on the defensive end. My concern is that we keep losing games at crunch time because we lack a PG who can create his own shot, or break guys down and create for others. Nobody could have predicted the anemic shooting we have seen this year, but despite that, we have been in every game except for MI. As crazy it may sound, I think Washpun would have really helped this team. He is jet quick, has great handles, is a tenacious defender and would give us a guy who can create matchup problems because of his speed. Unlike the Lickliter era where we struggled to get shots, under McCaffrey there are good shots to be had, the guys just aren't knocking them down. You put Oglesby and Marble in the mid / upper 30% from 3 vs. mid / lower 20% and we have a couple more wins IMO.

It is the way they are losing that is frustrating. I thought Minnesota was to talented and I expected Iowa to lose by at least 15 points Sunday but they found themselves in position to win it at the end of the game. But to see them lose like that again just makes me sick. One on hand I feel good that they are talented enough to play with these teams but it tears me apart to see them come so close over and over and over.

You don't get how people would be frustrated with multiple close losses to good teams? You're either lying or don't actually watch sports.

Its not who the Hawks lost to its how they lost. Its not that hard to figure out.

Yep. It would be different if they were just outclassed in the MSU, Purdue and Minnesota games. They were in great position to win all 3 with under 1 minute to play and absolutely ****** all 3 games down their leg.

Iowa has basically won the games it was expected to win and lost the games it was expected to lose. If they continue to do so for the rest of the season they will be pretty much right where everyone expected them to be going into the B10 Tournament.

It seemed the consensus was that they were going to have to win a couple of games in the B10 Tournament to get into the dance. Well, to do so, they will have to beat one of these teams they were not expected to beat, which will give them that marquee victory right after a nice final run at the end of the conference season.

I just don't quite understand how things are different now than what was expected before the season.

I think this picture sums it up pretty well:

lucy.jpg

DM makes some good points. I am not necessarily disappointed with the record and think McCaffrey and his staff have done some nice coaching, especially on the defensive end. My concern is that we keep losing games at crunch time because we lack a PG who can create his own shot, or break guys down and create for others. Nobody could have predicted the anemic shooting we have seen this year, but despite that, we have been in every game except for MI. As crazy it may sound, I think Washpun would have really helped this team. He is jet quick, has great handles, is a tenacious defender and would give us a guy who can create matchup problems because of his speed. Unlike the Lickliter era where we struggled to get shots, under McCaffrey there are good shots to be had, the guys just aren't knocking them down. You put Oglesby and Marble in the mid / upper 30% from 3 vs. mid / lower 20% and we have a couple more wins IMO.

Watched Washpun play when he was at Tennessee. He would not have helped us.

I think they are where they were expected to be +/- 1 game. However, fans' memories are short, and the close losses (shoulda/coulda wins) can change your perspective. I still think they'll go 9-9

Let me get this straight. You rail on Fran's recruiting because he's not pulling in elite talent, but now you think the solution to our problems is a 3-star point guard whose only other Power 6 offer was Tennessee, and the only reason he had that was because of the coaching change in Knoxville?

The Hawks are right about where I thought they would be. With the exception of winning one of these close games. That said the team is shooting much worse than I had expected. I thought for certain we would be shooting better than last year. The new facilities were to help, but it seems to have hurt....maybe that is the problem??? WE were use to shooting in the arena, with seats in the back ground. Now it is some closed wall gym. Maybe?

Besides that, I had expected Marble to have a better year, and not have a worse year. So that is why I don't get it.

We need to change a few things. But it doesn't look like Fran is going to do it.

So now the new practice facility is the reason why we are having shooting issues? You have got to be joking. Right? Not to mention, do you not realize that a ton of practices are held in the arena itself? And what exactly are you talking about when you say we need to change a few things yet Fran isnt going to do it?

I think people see the potential and get frustrated at how Iowa could be sitting right now.

I understand that.

I'm not sure how "Aw, man, we we lost by three again, that kind of sucks" deserves a "We weren't supposed to be good this year anyways, shut up." response.

I pegged Iowa to start 2-7 in conf and finish 7-2, so if you can hold those expectations it's easier to step back and realize, it's not that big of a deal. Yes, the losses sting. Coulda woulda shoulda. Just need to move on.

7-2 to end the season would put Iowa at 10-8 in the best conf in the nation.

That's a highly successful season for this program seeing how much Iowa Basketball has had to recover from the past decade.

I think people see the potential and get frustrated at how Iowa could be sitting right now.

I understand that.

People adjusted their expectations after New Year's Eve, IMO. Most expected the team to be better, but maybe the record wouldn't make that clear, before the season. But after nearly knocking off Indiana, people started to think things might get rolling a year early. Pair that with the other close losses, and you have the attitude currently reflected in the fanbase.

I pegged Iowa to start 2-7 in conf and finish 7-2, so if you can hold those expectations it's easier to step back and realize, it's not that big of a deal. Yes, the losses sting. Coulda woulda shoulda. Just need to move on.

7-2 to end the season would put Iowa at 10-8 in the best conf in the nation.

That's a highly successful season for this program seeing how much Iowa Basketball has had to recover from the past decade.

Great post Spank. Problem is there are a ton of posters who a.) have no patience and b.) cannot see past their nose as to what truly is going on with Iowa Basketball and how that projects for our not so distant future. I can't wait to see people jump back on the bandwagon after we run off 2-3 wins in a row. It's comical as well as frustrating when you think about it.

How is being irritated after losing a third three point game (we haven't even played a game since our last 3 point loss) equated to no one is on the bandwagon anymore or whatever dumb crap you like to come up with?

Latest posts