Huff to Creighton

As much as this may pain some to hear, Creighton has more support for its basketball program than does Iowa, or most Big Ten schools, if you look at attendance and you look over the span of the 10-15 years or so. They have nine straight years of Top 25 in attendance..not sure where they ranked this past year, but the previous two years they ranked 6th in the sport in attendance..they were over 17K per game two seasons ago and I suspect they probably were last year, too.

They are now in a much better league, too. So while losing a player to Creighton stinks, it's not like someone just chose Drake over Iowa

Its all those damn Nebraska football/Creighton basketball hybrids.

oh...right cuz that happens a lot ;)

it does now and then -- I used to mod on a bike racing forum (the pedal kind, not the internal combustion kind), and now and then we'd get a long-game troll pull the two names, one IP move.

when you noted "arguing with yourself," I thought you were implying such a case with franstheman and waterboy.

what no one wants to say:

Creighton is, and has been, the better program. NCAA '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '05, '07, '12, '13; a first-team AA. They ain't the Willis Reed Bluejays anymore.

Huff went to the better program.

Fran needs to land some players, and he needs a sweet 16 trip. If those things don't happen before Utoff-Gesell-Woodbury graduate, then this program is headed for the 8-10, 9-9 treadmill, and the recruiting struggles that accompany it.

Yeah, I guess we're living in the past if we think we're a better program than Creighton. My bad for thinking such. I mean, we played them a couple of years ago and they beat us by 30 and coulda beat us by 50 if they wanted to. Just wish we could get that one recruit to put us over the hump and turn this thing around. Right now, it just seems that Fran's gotten us back to the Alford-level of production but the Mr. Davis level seems light years away.

Unfortunately Nebraska has taken adavantage of the combination of a new combination/new coach to get better results than Iowa as well.

False. Lets see what the Huskers do next year when they arent playing the weakest schedule in the B1G.

True or False, Miles took the Huskers one round farther in a years less time?

Miles NCAA record at Nebraska: 0-1

Fran's NCAA record at Iowa: 0-1

And by your logic, ISU's football program would have been in better shape than Iowa's football program after the 2012 season. Better record and a bowl game for ISU while Iowa went 4-8.

Miles NCAA record at Nebraska: 0-1

Fran's NCAA record at Iowa: 0-1

And by your logic, ISU's football program would have been in better shape than Iowa's football program after the 2012 season. Better record and a bowl game for ISU while Iowa went 4-8.

Football bowl season is not a good analogy.

Well if we want to count the play in game as an appearance then Nebraska would ahve gotten a bye so give them that win and they are 1-1.

How's that for logic?

Look you can argue til you're blue in the face... facts are facts, Tim Miles took the Huskers a round farther in 2 years less years than Fran has and that Nebraska program was probably worse than the Iowa program. At least Iowa had some tradition (even if it was 20 years ago).

Football bowl season is not a good analogy.

Well if we want to count the play in game as an appearance then Nebraska would ahve gotten a bye so give them that win and they are 1-1.

How's that for logic?

Look you can argue til you're blue in the face... facts are facts, Tim Miles took the Huskers a round farther in 2 years less years than Fran has and that Nebraska program was probably worse than the Iowa program. At least Iowa had some tradition (even if it was 20 years ago).

He did it one year at Nebraska. All I said was lets see how he does when he plays a tougher B1G scheudle next year. It doesnt mean he has Nebraska's program on stronger footing than Fran does Iowa's program.

Also, if you can show me anywhere that lists Kevin Ollie as having a 7-0 record in the NCAA tourney as head coach of UCONN then we can agree that Miles' NCAA tourney record at Nebraska is 1-1.

He did it one year at Nebraska. All I said was lets see how he does when he plays a tougher B1G scheudle next year. It doesnt mean he has Nebraska's program on stronger footing than Fran does Iowa's program.

Also, if you can show me anywhere that lists Kevin Ollie as having a 7-0 record in the NCAA tourney as head coach of UCONN then we can agree that Miles' NCAA tourney record at Nebraska is 1-1.

Ok this has gotten silly quickly.

Sure both Miles and Fran are 0-1 in the NCAA tournament at their current programs.

However - Miles has a 2nd round apperance and Fran only has a 1st round. So thus, I give more credit to Miles.

I guess if you don't and you want to attribute it to a weak schedule, that's fine. I'm just impressed with the job Miles has done. Fran has done a good job as well and I think he had met my expectations almost every year except last year. I expected us to avoid playing in the first round, and winning a game in the 2nd round. We collapsed late in the year and didn't make that happen.

There have been 2 very bad losses in Fran's career..... Nebraska and Northwestern. Turn those 2 losses into wins and I think we have an additional NCAA tourney appearance and avoid the play in game.

2014/2015 becomes very important seasaon in Fran's career. He can shut up a lot of people by simply making it to the Third round.

I love how every time a player choses a different school people start comparing programs. Like every single player choses schools based on the best program that offered him. I highly doubt Huff chose Creighton based on them being a better program because the programs are to close for that to matter. Who knows maybe he really hit it off with one of the players. Or maybe he fell for some chick there. It's not a dis to Iowa every time a player choses someone else. Just like its not a dis to Michigan that he eliminated them before Iowa.

Trust me. I thought it was Marble. I was told wrong by a person that is closest you get on the team without being a player or coach. This person told me they don't like Fran and neither does the team. They said that the team likes Fran's coaching strategy and the way they play the game but they dislike him as a person. He apparently took it too far last year with the players by taking too many unnecessary jabs when they were already down. I was told he found their weak spot and just and just beat them down with his harsh words.

Melsahn Basabe's twitter avatar. This certainly looks like a guy who can't stand Fran.

2kG-K1Yb.jpeg

Tool.

I love how every time a player choses a different school people start comparing programs. Like every single player choses schools based on the best program that offered him. I highly doubt Huff chose Creighton based on them being a better program because the programs are to close for that to matter. Who knows maybe he really hit it off with one of the players. Or maybe he fell for some chick there. It's not a dis to Iowa every time a player choses someone else. Just like its not a dis to Michigan that he eliminated them before Iowa.

He just loves Omaha more than any other place....it's true, I heard it from my best friends mother's daughter-in-law, who by the way works at Creighton when she's not selling Tupperware.....or was it I heard it from the Tupperware lady who had my wife's sister and her daughter at a party which was on Creighton Street....oh hell, I can't remember...:)

If a team takes on the character of its coach, it's becoming painfully obvious that is it can't seal the deal.

2014/2015 becomes very important seasaon in Fran's career. He can shut up a lot of people by simply making it to the Third round.

I agree with this. And if he doesn't even make it to the tournament, which I agree with Jon is not likely, he could be on the hot seat. And should.

Latest posts