Huff to Creighton

Well at least Fran now has 2 more scholarships to use on his 4th or 5th options...

In all seriousness though, Iowa can only sell hope right now. Creighton, ASU, ISU, etc. actually have proof that their programs are better. Iowa doesn't have that right now and this season's monumental collapse doesn't help the perspective that the "hope" Iowa is selling will turn into promise in these recruits' eyes. Iowa's got some nice players lined up - however not SIGNED so not guaranteed - but aren't that highly coveted either. Fran is just going to have to hope his development of players pays off the next few years.

Exactly. Huff is really a "2015" recruit anyway. Theres still lots of targets we can get by next spring. We already have a good commit in Hutton. All isn't lost guys. Keep the faith in this staff. Their hard work will eventually pay dividends.

People keep saying this, yet it's been 5 years. Maybe could be next year, year after, 10 years, or never.

Well at least Fran now has 2 more scholarships to use on his 4th or 5th options...

In all seriousness though, Iowa can only sell hope right now. Creighton, ASU, ISU, etc. actually have proof that their programs are better. Iowa doesn't have that right now and this season's monumental collapse doesn't help the perspective that the "hope" Iowa is selling will turn into promise in these recruits' eyes. Iowa's got some nice players lined up - however not SIGNED so not guaranteed - but aren't that highly coveted either. Fran is just going to have to hope his development of players pays off the next few years.

Creighton, ISU, sure...but ASU?? LOL

The fact of the matter is that Iowa basketball is not a very desirable location for high end recruits at this point in time. Sure, we have great facilities finally, but what program that is worth a damn doesn't? We also do not have a lot of tradition on our side. It's like some posters think that Iowa basketball can sell itself when that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

We are only 4 seasons removed from a major dumpster fire, and now just becoming slightly relevant again. You don't get a program that was pile driven as far into the ground as ours turned around overnight, unless you're a blue blood program or doing some shady stuff on the recruiting front.

It's like some posters feel that Fran isn't trying his damndest to bring in the needed guys. He just doesn't have much to work with. To the people that feel like we should start the process over again by bringing in a new head guy, get a freaking clue, ya dolts.

The funny thing about it is ankle is one of, if not the most butthurt poster on this site when people say anything negative about Kirk that is based on actual facts and not just made up random rumors lol

i guess i'm a funny guy then...here are some 'actual facts', whatever that means.....you call me up when Coach Fran has won a big ten championship or two, and actually made to the post season. Would a BCS bowl equate to a final four? not sure, but close. ferentz' fourth year he was playing in a bcs bowl game? Fran's fourth year he has our team not even in the ncaa tourney yet. Don't blame me for not anointing him quite yet.

yeah, i think ferentz has earned a bit of respect...based on the 'actual facts'.

i guess i'm a funny guy then...here are some 'actual facts', whatever that means.....you call me up when Coach Fran has won a big ten championship or two, and actually made to the post season. Would a BCS bowl equate to a final four? not sure, but close. ferentz' fourth year he was playing in a bcs bowl game? Fran's fourth year he has our team not even in the ncaa tourney yet. Don't blame me for not anointing him quite yet.

yeah, i think ferentz has earned a bit of respect...based on the 'actual facts'.

We were in the tournament, bud. Don't denigrate the first round.

What programs DON'T need the players to develop? Kentucky? I mean seriously, if you aren't a top 10-20 kid who is NBA ready, isn't that the point, that these kids will develop and become better than they are in HS? I'd rather get a Burke or Oladipo (both 150ish type recruits) who develop, than getting a Matt Thomas/Woodbury (both ranked around 50ish). My point isn't to bash Thomas or Woodbury, but rather that lots of times kids ranked well below or not ranked at all become the much better basketball players.

"WaterboyHawkeye". Joined Jan of 2014. good god...could you at least TRY...to fake it.

One more clone troll who can't stay out of Hawkeye-land. This is getting pathetic.

Sometimes after reading this board I ask myself, "if message boards didn't exist, would Iowa be better?"

I don't really care about waterboy or alleged inside info.

what I care about is fran's inability (so far) to land an out-of-state top 150 kid, in four years of recruiting (gesell, with his iowa ties, doesn't count).

eventually, some of the "diamonds in the rough" will remain lumps of coal. you have to have top 150 talent to stay competitive in the Big Ten.

Boudreaux is the only top 150 Fran is still in on, and in reasonably good position with -- and he's low 150 at that.

Fran needs Boudreaux, and a "find" to save this class. Hutton, Novian Cherry, and Brady Ernst aren't going to cut it.

Well, this is what I expected. I freakin' knew it. Hawk fans: "He's ours to lose". Oops, said recruit doesn't come to Iowa. Broken record.

If recruits don't commit early before anyone else gets involved and/or the player didn't grow up a Hawk fan, Iowa seems to have no chance. It's discouraging. No, we won't get every recruit. But it would be nice to get SOME of them.

Are the recruits just not enjoying the visits? They say they do... But then they don't commit.

Last edited:
I don't really care about waterboy or alleged inside info.

what I care about is fran's inability (so far) to land an out-of-state top 150 kid, in four years of recruiting (gesell, with his iowa ties, doesn't count).

eventually, some of the "diamonds in the rough" will remain lumps of coal. you have to have top 150 talent to stay competitive in the Big Ten.

Boudreaux is the only top 150 Fran is still in on, and in reasonably good position with -- and he's low 150 at that.

Fran needs Boudreaux, and a "find" to save this class. Hutton, Novian Cherry, and Brady Ernst aren't going to cut it.

I really don't count Gesell as an "out of state" recruit, either. OK, technically, he is.. But I grew up in Sioux City, IA, and let me just say that Sioux City and S. Sioux City is basically just one town with the Missouri river through the middle of it. SSC is basically Iowa.. Just technically happens to be on NE soil. I consider Gesell to be a "local" player.

People keep saying this, yet it's been 5 years. Maybe could be next year, year after, 10 years, or never.

Very true. We gave Boy Wonder 9 years. We are a patient fanbase for the most part. I have been a Fran supporter from Day 1 but I don't see us having a better season next year - Year No. 5 for Fran. Tough schedule, I know, but I hoped at this point (with the recruits we were bringing in - Woody, Mike G) that we would become a regular NCAA tourney participant. I think Fran realizes the recruiting needs to step up. I think Hutton is that first piece of the puzzle. And I think Dickerson is going to help this team a lot.

Latest posts