Howe: I’d Be OK with Desmond King Skipping Outback Bowl

Players wanting to opt out is a valuable indicator of the street value of the "less than playoff" bowls.

Players want to protect their future income stream? I think it is fair. The coaches have the best attorneys trying to seal up big contracts with "extra" money for the now exposed trash bowls.

College coaching is a cesspool of self serving, what's in it for me at the next gig, family of the entitled.

College sports is now a big money machine...players know it, coaches know it, sponsors know it, lots of fan don't get it...naively thinking that the players and coaching staffs "care" about the team. Just stop.

Show me the money...is the result of the new game in town...especially for the best players and most highly sought coaches.

That said, will be hopeful for an Iowa bowl win...been a while.

It isn't that complicated.

But, but, but the team. The bowl. The tickets I bought. Jerks. Trying to ensure the best possible future for themselves.
What about me and my university?

That was sarcasm. Your post was spot on.

I am going to attempt a complete 180 here. I had a dramatic opinion change within the last few hours on this subject. I think that sitting out the bowl game is a terrible decision. Doing so needlessly lowers the players' draft stock. I looked through some numbers, and the actual risk of a serious injury is very low. Sure, you can point to the Notre Dame player who blew out his knee, but the statistics are pretty clear. This rarely happens. However, one thing that is clear is that GM's and draft experts (who are employed by teams) value commitment to the game and love of the game. This is actually a thing. Scouts and draft experts who are making decisions evaluate whether a player truly loves the game before pulling the trigger on a candidate. Choosing to abandon your teammates by sitting out reflects very poorly on your intangibles and lowers your draft stock. I understand the financial argument, but based on the infinitesimal risk and potential draft reduction value, I don't think sitting out is wise. It's also bad for college football. What happens next? Star players keep sitting out bowl games until there's no interest? What about players quitting half way through a season to prevent injury risk? It seems like a bad deal overall and plays into the whole commercialization that has begun to ruin sports for me.

Three levels of bowl games:

The real dogs. You know the ones. 5-7 vs 6-6. They need to be culled out. Economics will push this along. Star players should avoid playing in these.

The Elite Bowls. Orange, Rose, etc. They are hurt more by the playoffs than any of the other categories. Once a symbol of conference-winner pride, they are now relegated to consolation prizes. Star players should weigh their options, but probably move on.

Mid-tier bowls. Outback, etc. Fun entertainment with good to decent teams. Safe they'll survive. Star players should probably move on.

If you're a fringe player, playing in a bowl is everything. The game is a game. If you're a high potential draft pick, it's a business. Treat it like one. Stay healthy, move on to the next level.

If Players commit to returning for a season in my opinion they must be all in for the entirety of the season.

The reality is this has all the making of turning into something ridiculous down the road and Could potentially get completely out of hand.

The "meaningless exhibition game" angle is pretty weak. It's not about what ESPN analysts say or some other pundit. It's a pretty fun trip for a bunch of 18-23 yr old guys who've worked their butts off all year. If you're on the team, or in the band, or a cheerleader or connected to the program in some other capacity... the bowl trip is significant. There's more to it than a neutral field football game.

It's easy to become cynical as a spectator who watches 30+ bowls (and I'm one of those who thinks there are WAY too many bowls, 6-6 teams don't belong in a bowl). But when you're making the trip as a representative of the University it's a big deal. Just ask someone who goes several years without making a bowl or to people who made the trip as students. They matter to the kids, you only get so many chances.

The "meaningless exhibition game" angle is pretty weak. It's not about what ESPN analysts say or some other pundit. It's a pretty fun trip for a bunch of 18-23 yr old guys who've worked their butts off all year. If you're on the team, or in the band, or a cheerleader or connected to the program in some other capacity... the bowl trip is significant. There's more to it than a neutral field football game.

It's easy to become cynical as a spectator who watches 30+ bowls (and I'm one of those who thinks there are WAY too many bowls, 6-6 teams don't belong in a bowl). But when you're making the trip as a representative of the University it's a big deal. Just ask someone who goes several years without making a bowl or to people who made the trip as students. They matter to the kids, you only get so many chances.

Not all kids think like this. I would prefer everyone play, but if a kid decides his life after college is more important, then he can make that decision. It isn't my life, it's his, I don't get why everyone gets all bent out of shape if the kids want to take serious the possibility of making millions of dollars.

If I was in his situation you couldn't keep me off the field. You go where your brothers go, do battle with them as needed. It's how it is. It's final collegiate game of his life, with the guys he's sweated, won, lost, fought and cried with. It's a no brainer. Life is more than money can ever bring ya!

Not all kids think like this. I would prefer everyone play, but if a kid decides his life after college is more important, then he can make that decision. It isn't my life, it's his, I don't get why everyone gets all bent out of shape if the kids want to take serious the possibility of making millions of dollars.

I see your angle. Mine is pretty basic, if you accepted scholarship money to play football...I think you have an obligation to do so. Injuries can happen any time, there's no unique risk in a bowl game.

I see your angle. Mine is pretty basic, if you accepted scholarship money to play football...I think you have an obligation to do so. Injuries can happen any time, there's no unique risk in a bowl game.
Totally agree,you owe the school and your team mates.If your worried about getting hurt then your in the wrong sport.

Latest posts