Howe: I’d Be OK with Desmond King Skipping Outback Bowl

The people who are ok with this I would suspect be ok had King quit on the team half way threw the season when we looked awful and knew we had no shot at the big ten title right? I see no difference in either situation. Heck, if you play on teams like Ohio St and you lose two games you might as well quit playing since you wont be seeing the playoffs either.

I agree Rob. Let him skip.

A couple points. If a kid gets offered a job at Google before graduating and Google is ok with this. Ad the kid was on a full ride academic scholarship, should he have to pay it back? No. Its a job. You taje it when offered.

The NFL should create a minor league. Its a joke that they havent. Let the NFL deal with the criminals. It would make college football so much cleaner and exciting. Look at the D2 or 3 playoffs. Great games. Exciting games.

I think a player should have to forfeit all 4 years of his scholarship.....hey, if he's gonna make millions in the pros, why should he be able to collect all that scholarship money from the school or the taxpayers?

This is a slippery slope......

At what point do the Universities start paying the players? Hey, the Universities make millions of the back of these guys. Why shouldnt they throw those kids a couple grand?

A bowl game has nothing to do with the regular season. It is an exhibition and an opportunity for kids to travel to a beach (hopefully).

Sorry. Was at a doc appointment. Not ducking questions. :)

A player can walk away from his scholarship at any time, as far as I know. That's his right. He can't be forced to play. Matt Neubauer walked away, albeit not during the season.

My opinion is when you take the scholarship for the semester, you play for that semester. The bowl game is after the semester. King has graduated.

I think most players would play in their team was in the playoff. That's why many of them, like King, return. I could even see it if it were a New Year's Six bowl. But, again, that's the decision of the player that has money on the line.

One point of the column is that I would be OK with DK skipping the Outback. He could have left last year but he came back. Yes, he graduated like and and his family wanted, but he also made the school a whole lot of money.

The other part of the column is to say even through we're going to avoid this with DK, I wouldn't be surprised to see it coming up for us again. It's a think now with what Fournette and McCaffrey have decided.

At what point do the Universities start paying the players? Hey, the Universities make millions of the back of these guys. Why shouldnt they throw those kids a couple grand?

A player can walk away from his scholarship at any time, as far as I know. That's his right. He can't be forced to play. Matt Neubauer walked away, albeit not during the season.

My opinion is when you take the scholarship for the semester, you play for that semester. The bowl game is after the semester. King has graduated.

I think most players would play in their team was in the playoff. That's why many of them, like King, return. I could even see it if it were a New Year's Six bowl. But, again, that's the decision of the player that has money on the line.

One point of the column is that I would be OK with DK skipping the Outback. He could have left last year but he came back. Yes, he graduated like and and his family wanted, but he also made the school a whole lot of money.

The other part of the column is to say even through we're going to avoid this with DK, I wouldn't be surprised to see it coming up for us again. It's a think now with what Fournette and McCaffrey have decided.
Current Stanford WR

Good for them..
Hopefully the players understand when the fans stop caring enough to spend thousands to go to a bowl game, just to watch the back-ups play.

Good for them..
Hopefully the players understand when the fans stop caring enough to spend thousands to go to a bowl game, just to watch the back-ups play.

And that would be your right as a fan. I think if this trend picks up, bowl attendance could be affected. And now that becomes a problem for the events and the schools.

High-paid coaches, like Tom Herman, leave before bowl games to better their futures at a different school. Happens every year. If a player wants to do the same thing, so be it.

The premise of college is to prepair young adults into actual adults. Put them in the best position to succeed as an adult. Give them skills and abilities to suceed in whatever they do in the future. College's have benefited off of their players just as much (Or maybe more) as the players do.

It's easy for us (as outsiders) to say it's bad for the sport. Hell, it might be bad for college football. But in this instance it is better for the kid. CM, LF or players like him more than likely wouldn't get much of a bump up or down in the draft by their play in an exhibition game. But if they got hurt (like the ND linebacker last year, or rb from South Carolina a few years ago) then they could lose millions. What if (God forbid) they suffer an injury like Eric Legrand did? That would change their entire life.

At the end of the day, these are kids. Unpaid kids. College needs to do whatever benefits them most

I think with what we're seeing now and the money that's involved at the NFL level, you're going to see this become a trend. That trend will lead to bowl games getting to be more and more of a shit show and fans are going to stop paying ridiculous prices tickets and bowl packages. Especially when those packages have to be bought and paid for weeks ahead of time and players can back out at any minute.

That's going to eventually drive bowls into obscurity. The problem for the NCAA is that there's nothing they can do to prevent it. All they'd be able to do to make the post season count and try to get players to stay is create a bigger playoff schedule. This won't catch everyone but would probably help.

I agree with Rob...I could not blame DK for skipping the bowl game. He's gotta start watching out for his best interests. He served the Iowa program scholarship in full and has graduated. He's gotta take care of himself.

Andy Glocker describes the problem as this: college scholarships are a great deal for 99% of college players and a terrible deal for 1% of NFL-quality players in college. He's in the 1%. He's done what he needed to do. Get that money.

It is certainly within a player's rights to make this decision, and it might be in their best financial interests, but I just cannot imagine skipping out on the people who fought beside you all season. I don't buy the "it's not part of the season, it's a bowl game," argument. I also would be surprised if the "whole" teams support these decisions, regardless of what someone may say on Twitter.

I can't believe what I'm reading and people supporting this? I'm sorry, but he quit on his "team" plain and simple.

So playing for a team in a meaningless exhibition game for free is more important then making millions of dollars?

Come on. A injury insurance policy is worth a fraction of potential future earnings.

And where is the outrage when a coach leaves before a bowl game? He is the leader of the "team". Isnt that more detrimental to a "team" then a RB leaving?

And that would be your right as a fan. I think if this trend picks up, bowl attendance could be affected. And now that becomes a problem for the events and the schools.

High-paid coaches, like Tom Herman, leave before bowl games to better their futures at a different school. Happens every year. If a player wants to do the same thing, so be it.

Great point Rob. Coaches move around, don't go to bowl games, all to take bigger and better jobs, and they are grown ass men. I mean they wanna bump their pay from 1 mil a year to 4 mil a year, so everyone says hey, that is ok, he's gotta do what he's gotta do. No problem, just bail on your team, the kids you recruited and the kids you made promises to. Yet we set a completely different standard for 22 year old kids, where it might be their only shot to make life changing money???

Some of your guys are a trip. 99.9% of you would leave your crappy job for another to go from 50K a year to 50.5K a year. Yet some kid is supposed to risk everything to play in an exhibition game, that really means the difference in a bigger bonus for their coach, but puts NOTHING in their back pocket? Give me a break, I say take the money, protect yourself and your family, you have given plenty to the university.

Great point Rob. Coaches move around, don't go to bowl games, all to take bigger and better jobs, and they are grown ass men. I mean they wanna bump their pay from 1 mil a year to 4 mil a year, so everyone says hey, that is ok, he's gotta do what he's gotta do. No problem, just bail on your team, the kids you recruited and the kids you made promises to. Yet we set a completely different standard for 22 year old kids, where it might be their only shot to make life changing money???

Some of your guys are a trip. 99.9% of you would leave your crappy job for another to go from 50K a year to 50.5K a year. Yet some kid is supposed to risk everything to play in an exhibition game, that really means the difference in a bigger bonus for their coach, but puts NOTHING in their back pocket? Give me a break, I say take the money, protect yourself and your family, you have given plenty to the university.

Nailed it. Well done sir

MVP in a bowl game means nothing to a scout? You need to change the hamster wheel in your head.