Howe: I’d Be OK with Desmond King Skipping Outback Bowl

He's a huge reason Iowa was 8-4 and going to a nice bowl. That helps sell season tickets for next year a heck of a lot more than a 7-5, 6-6 season would. It also helps sell bowl packages for the university.

He was promoted on the team posters, a giant billboard in Cedar Rapids and on the media guide. If his image, likeness, etc. have no impact on sales, why use it? They also sell his jerseys all over town and in the state. I see them being worn and being sold in stores.

Iowa made it crystal clear that DK and CJB were the faces of this program this season with their marketing.

I had an idea what you were going to list, and there's validity in it. Desmond has been a great contributor to Hawkeye sports.

Somebody else's picture would have gone on that billboard if he went pro, I highly doubt many people decided to buy tickets based on one guy coming back. Two of the first four home games weren't sell outs (and judging by all the green and gold in Kinnick, without NDSU's fans it could have been three) Apparently the billboards didn't work.

There's no way to speculate Iowa's record without him, He was suddenly dropped as a captain during the team's worst weeks (immediately after NDSU) Coincidence? ..likely not. That doesn't just happen, especially.if a guy's the face of the program. Something was up...

Bottom line IMHO is this. He received a scholarship based on his ability to play football, so he has an obligation to fulfill it. Yes...technically the semester is over and he graduated, but that's a cop out. He would be (and McCaffery is) bailing on his teammates.(spare me the injury excuse, they can happen at any point...that's what insurance is for)

I was with a company 5 1/2 years and accepted a nice move up with another firm,.There was a big industry event just a couple of days before the end of my traditional "two weeks" which I could have said "No Thanks" too..It was a lot of work and I wouldn't receive any bonus from the fruits. I worked it anyway..because it was the right thing to do..for the company and the guy that made my next move possible.

I guess it's all in how you do things.

I had an idea what you were going to list, and there's validity in it. Desmond has been a great contributor to Hawkeye sports.

Somebody else's picture would have gone on that billboard if he went pro, I highly doubt many people decided to buy tickets based on one guy coming back. Two of the first four home games weren't sell outs (and judging by all the green and gold in Kinnick, without NDSU's fans it could have been three) Apparently the billboards didn't work.

There's no way to speculate Iowa's record without him, He was suddenly dropped as a captain during the team's worst weeks (immediately after NDSU) Coincidence? ..likely not. That doesn't just happen, especially.if a guy's the face of the program. Something was up...

Bottom line IMHO is this. He received a scholarship based on his ability to play football, so he has an obligation to fulfill it. Yes...technically the semester is over and he graduated, but that's a cop out. He would be (and McCaffery is) bailing on his teammates.(spare me the injury excuse, they can happen at any point...that's what insurance is for)

I was with a company 5 1/2 years and accepted a nice move up with another firm,.There was a big industry event just a couple of days before the end of my traditional "two weeks" which I could have said "No Thanks" too..It was a lot of work and I wouldn't receive any bonus from the fruits. I worked it anyway..because it was the right thing to do..for the company and the guy that made my next move possible.

I guess it's all in how you do things.

We disagree, which is the first time and won't be the last. :)

I stand by what I've said. Iowa marketed Desmond. He made them money with his play on the field and by selling of jerseys, etc.

Nothing of what is being discussed is concrete. There are no right and wrong answers. I think he gave enough to the U of I that if he wanted to protect himself and sit out, I'd be OK with it. It's one game. They're not going for a national title.

And as I've said, and clearly pointed out in the column, I expect him to play. I know how he's wired. I'm saying of he chose not to for the reason of safety, I'm OK with it.

We disagree, which is the first time and won't be the last. :)

I stand by what I've said. Iowa marketed Desmond. He made them money with his play on the field and by selling of jerseys, etc.

Nothing of what is being discussed is concrete. There are no right and wrong answers. I think he gave enough to the U of I that if he wanted to protect himself and sit out, I'd be OK with it. It's one game. They're not going for a national title.

And as I've said, and clearly pointed out in the column, I expect him to play. I know how he's wired. I'm saying of he chose not to for the reason of safety, I'm OK with it.

I respect your opinion, Rob. You're closer to the program than most of us.

I'm glad we'll have him on the field one more time, he's been a great Hawkeye.

Not playing in a meaningless exhibition of a bowl game is the same thing as NFL stars not playing in meaningless preseason games-or not playing much anyway. It's just smart.

Jalen Smith lost $20 million dollars because he blew out his knee last year in a meaningless game. I don't blame McCaffrey or Fournette whatsoever.

It's not quite the same thing as deciding to quit once your team has no chance to win a conference title. Those games are scheduled and you know you're expected to play, if healthy before the season begins. A bowl game would be the last game before a star player would get paid a lot of money and nobody wants to get hurt if you're on the threshold of being a first round draft pick. He can't help his draft stock much at this point. Someone like Desmond King is more likely to be a second round pick. He can help his draft stock with a big game in the Outback Bowl.

I respect your opinion, Rob. You're closer to the program than most of us.

I'm glad we'll have him on the field one more time, he's been a great Hawkeye.

Thanks, drummer. Enjoy the conversation and helping me see other sides of the discussion.

I'm also glad we get to see DK one more time. We can agree on that. :)

BTW, would you guys let him return punts and kicks in the Outback?

Thanks, drummer. Enjoy the conversation and helping me see other sides of the discussion.

I'm also glad we get to see DK one more time. We can agree on that. :)

BTW, would you guys let him return punts and kicks in the Outback?
I'd be ok with McCarron returning punts. I think King will play his normal role though as Iowa is in dire need of a good performance in a bowl game after the last 2 debacles. These srs. have never won a bowl game and I think they want it bad. If they don't win, wouldn't they be the first sr. class since 2000 that hasn't been part of at least one bowl win? Were there RS seniors on last years team that were part of the Insight win? I'm too lazy to go back and do the research.

At a quick glance, it doesn't look like anyone from last years roster was on the Insight bowl roster, so it looks like last years sr's. never were involved in a bowl win. Well, let's hope this sr. class doesn't follow suit!

Winning is always better. I had a great time last year at the Rose Bowl, so it isn't the end of the world if they lose

If you think that kids should be held to a higher standard than coaches, administrators, and basically every person in every walk of life, then cool, that is your opinion.

I just know that if someone said they were willing to pay you between 1-5 million bucks, but the base pay was going to be determined by interviews to be conducted in a few months.....well I'm guessing 99% of people would drop their current job and get to preparing for those interviews.

I hope he lives in a bubble for the next few months. No travel. No workouts, etc. God forbid he pulls a hamstring during his training.

And most people would keep working while they were getting ready for the biggest interview of their lives.
He's a huge reason Iowa was 8-4 and going to a nice bowl. That helps sell season tickets for next year a heck of a lot more than a 7-5, 6-6 season would. It also helps sell bowl packages for the university.

He was promoted on the team posters, a giant billboard in Cedar Rapids and on the media guide. If his image, likeness, etc. have no impact on sales, why use it? They also sell his jerseys all over town and in the state. I see them being worn and being sold in stores.

Iowa made it crystal clear that DK and CJB were the faces of this program this season with their marketing.

r.
Not playing in a meaningless exhibition of a bowl game is the same thing as NFL stars not playing in meaningless preseason games-or not playing much anyway. It's just smart.

Jalen Smith lost $20 million dollars because he blew out his knee last year in a meaningless game. I don't blame McCaffrey or Fournette whatsoever.

It's not quite the same thing as deciding to quit once your team has no chance to win a conference title. Those games are scheduled and you know you're expected to play, if healthy before the season begins. A bowl game would be the last game before a star player would get paid a lot of money and nobody wants to get hurt if you're on the threshold of being a first round draft pick. He can't help his draft stock much at this point. Someone like Desmond King is more likely to be a second round pick. He can help his draft stock with a big game in the Outback Bowl.

I do wish people would stop referring to these bowl games as meaningless exhibitions. This is an awfully big game for Iowa. 9-4 with a win over a ranked SEC foe and finishing ranked in the top 25 themselves. or 8-5 and a disappointing season. Big game!!

What are McCaffery and Fournette actually risking that their teammates are not risking?

Let's say they tear an ACL, vs. 5th-year senior with no NFL prospects tearing an ACL. They maybe drop a round, and give up a few million, but still rake in millions in signing bonus. Their less talented teammate has to go through a grueling rehab process with no million dollar payout on the other end. Are they really risking that much more?

Take the discussion to the level of the extremely rare, catastrophic injury that affects their health the rest of their life. If it happens to McCaffrey or Fournette, they have to deal with the injury (which could have happened any time prior to the bowl game, or in their first NFL preseason game), but they will have a multi-million dollar insurance payout to help them deal with the consequences. Their less talented teammate cannot get such an insurance policy, they are just out of luck.

So, basically McCaffrey and Fournette are saying that although all of our teammates are out there risking something, we cannot take that same risk because we don't want to risk our tens-of-millions of dollars payday becoming only a millions of dollars payday.

As a fan, they owe me nothing. I do not begrudge them making this decision. As a teammate, I think I would have a problem with it.

No. I'm actually sharing opinions on a topic that doesn't have a concrete, right or wrong answer. But, I could just post passive aggressively to let others know I disagree with them.
Exactly. Sometimes it is just an opinion, a belief, a sense, a hunch, to which all are entitled, and that's all you're left with. I doubt the UI Athletic Department would have said if King left early, "Well, there goes our marketing plan for the year. Thanks a lot, Desmond, you cost us millions."

Exactly. Sometimes it is just an opinion, a belief, a sense, a hunch, to which all are entitled, and that's all you're left with. I doubt the UI Athletic Department would have said if King left early, "Well, there goes our marketing plan for the year. Thanks a lot, Desmond, you cost us millions."

Of course they wouldn't scrap a marketing plan. That's what they get paid for. But having DK makes their job a heck of a lot easier.

If you think that kids should be held to a higher standard than coaches, administrators, and basically every person in every walk of life, then cool, that is your opinion.

I just know that if someone said they were willing to pay you between 1-5 million bucks, but the base pay was going to be determined by interviews to be conducted in a few months.....well I'm guessing 99% of people would drop their current job and get to preparing for those interviews.

The "sports to average life" analogy doesn't fit quite that cleanly. We're not talking about a 40-45 year evolution of a career, we're talking about a finite season - a fairly short amount of time, at that - that every player and coach committed to. (Isn't it supposedly one of the "life lessons" and values that they all encourage and brag about as part of the football experience?)

NO ONE of these guys' caliber needs a few months to prep. They're already a proven candidate by virtue of being in the conversation and getting an opportunity to "interview". The month of bowl prep and game still leaves plenty of time to prepare.

The "risk of injury" is another lame excuse. No one should be living in fear of something that could very well happen any place / any time. This one additional exposure is no more a "risk" than the 40 or so previous games. If that's your concern, you'd better live in bubble wrap rather than endure a 2- month training regiment leading up to the combine.

I think they ALL - coaches, included - should be held to higher standards and at least demonstrate the loyalty and integrity to fulfill their short-term commitment. After that; game on.

What LSU and Stanford guy are doing is quitting for their own self-serving needs, plain and simple. Whatever; their choice. Just don't sugar-coat and rationalize it into some admirable decision. If I was a teammate, I'd be PISSED! I wanna win and succeed, too, but your self-centered decision might have just cost ME that opportunity.

I hope he lives in a bubble for the next few months. No travel. No workouts, etc. God forbid he pulls a hamstring during his training.

And most people would keep working while they were getting ready for the biggest interview of their lives.

r.

I do wish people would stop referring to these bowl games as meaningless exhibitions. This is an awfully big game for Iowa. 9-4 with a win over a ranked SEC foe and finishing ranked in the top 25 themselves. or 8-5 and a disappointing season. Big game!!
No argument from me. I agree with ya. However with the power of the media being what it is they are who mold the narratives and pump it out to the public. They seem to be pushing that if it's not a playoff game or the Rose Bowl it's just not meaningful... Yet to each program fans, players (especially seniors) and coaches alike it means the world to them.

This trend, if it grows and sustains, will continue to make bowl games less relevant, which will lead to an expansion of the playoff system - from 8 to eventually 16. If FCS can have a 24 team playoff, there's no reason they can't have a 16 team playoff at some point.

In the meantime, one thing the NCAA and those involved could do to keep bowl games potentially relevant is to wait on the announcement of All-American teams, All-conference teams and other awards, such as the Heisman winner until after the bowl season has completed. There's no real urgency to do it right away, and may keep some guys in the mix to win an award.

The proliferation of bowl games has diluted the significance of what it means to be in a bowl game. However, I do believe a player, while under no legal obligation to play, has a moral obligation to play. But, that and a couple of bucks will get you a tall cup of joe at Starbucks.

Whatever eventually occurs, I hope it involves the continuation of college football through the month of December/early January. If it's bowl games - great. If it's expansion of the playoff system - I'm good with that, although realistically, it would mean fewer chances to watch the Hawkeyes play an extra game, which is my primary motivation.

If I were an NFL GM, I would NOT draft a guy that bailed on his teammates in a bowl game. That signifies a me first player. I understand the injury risks the player is taking. The GM then could say it's not worth the risk drafting a me first player. Zero chance NE would draft either LF or CM and neither would I.

Rob and the other selfish snowflake sympathizers :)

How would you feel if Dez, CJB, Kittle, LeShun and Jewell (as junior with "draftability") all decided to skip the Outback Bowl?

Here are the arguments I have seen in support, with my counter in parentheses:
--Could get injured (which could have happened his first two seasons plus all of this season)
--Insurance money isn't as good as the NFL payoff (it never is, and that isn't what "disability" type insurance is for)
--The bowl game is meaningless (fine, leave after you are eliminated from the CFP)
--"If another company approached you, YOU'D take the job!" (most people, especially decent ones, give some form of notice and/or their current employer an opportunity to "match")

In the last scenario, it doesn't even apply. The NFL has ALWAYS been there for him. But if one must accept the premise, does anyone think he would have left if they were in the playoff or another NY6 bowl?

Another argument I've seen: the non-playoff bowls are meaningless.

Cool. Maybe they should simply cancel the remaining portion(s) of the season for teams eliminated from contention.

And as I said elsewhere, it's a wonder Bill Gates didn't quit when he could have electrocuted himself in that garage!

Maybe an unintended consequence......if a player knows he can quit before the bowl to prepare for the NFL, what is to keep them from communicating with an agent, maybe secretly, while on the team? If the agent is discovered while player still playing, then he leaves and may even be encouraged to leave by the school so they do not become part of a NCAA investigation.

Another possible unintended consequence....could scouts become a distraction for the player(s) and/or others at team practices if the word gets out and the school lets the player continue to work out during game or bowl preparation?

Can anyone think of any other unintended or it's just wrong reasons...........

Players wanting to opt out is a valuable indicator of the street value of the "less than playoff" bowls.

Players want to protect their future income stream? I think it is fair. The coaches have the best attorneys trying to seal up big contracts with "extra" money for the now exposed trash bowls.

College coaching is a cesspool of self serving, what's in it for me at the next gig, family of the entitled.

College sports is now a big money machine...players know it, coaches know it, sponsors know it, lots of fan don't get it...naively thinking that the players and coaching staffs "care" about the team. Just stop.

Show me the money...is the result of the new game in town...especially for the best players and most highly sought coaches.

That said, will be hopeful for an Iowa bowl win...been a while.

It isn't that complicated.

Latest posts