Howe column: Beast of the Big Ten West Takes Out Hawkeyes Again

Wisconsin beats almost everybody in the 4th quarter. IMO, it is part of their game strategy. The Big Uglies and rushing attack just wear down defenses. Iowa did a great job of keeping Taylor from going wild but that meant they had to sacrifice in other areas. Pass defense for one. Play action has worked well for us (when we don't use it too much) and it did against Iowa in key situations. Chryst is a good playcaller, and sets up plays well.

Iowa's D played well, but you can't make too many mistakes against Wisconsin because it will dominate the TOP and the game is going to go south on you in the 4th quarter.

Wisconsin beats almost everybody in the 4th quarter. IMO, it is part of their game strategy. The Big Uglies and rushing attack just wear down defenses. Iowa did a great job of keeping Taylor from going wild but that meant they had to sacrifice in other areas. Pass defense for one. Play action has worked well for us (when we don't use it too much) and it did against Iowa in key situations. Chryst is a good playcaller, and sets up plays well.

Iowa's D played well, but you can't make too many mistakes against Wisconsin because it will dominate the TOP and the game is going to go south on you in the 4th quarter.

Iowa is the better team, or at least slightly better players. Two fumbles on the punt return team that Wisconsin did nothing to cause. But you have scoreboard and that's all that matters.

Iowa is the better team, or at least slightly better players. Two fumbles on the punt return team that Wisconsin did nothing to cause. But you have scoreboard and that's all that matters.
Where are these slightly better players? Not at QB, not at RB, not at WR, not at OL, yes at TE, IMO yes slightly at DL, not at LB, and even at DB. Certainly not a special teams, or coaching.

I'll give you TE. DL - No way. WI outrushed Iowa and look at Iowa's D. Soft up the middle. QB - Look at Hornibrook's career stats vs Stanley. Hornibrook is 23-4 as a starter. Stanley is 11-6. Hornibrook's completion percentage is also better. He showed better composure playing at Iowa on the road than Stanley did at home. I'm not saying Stanley isn't good, I just look at the stats and think Hornibrook is better.

Iowa had more yards per carry rushing and more yards per attempt passing. Of course Wisconsin had more total rushing yards because they had more attempts (44 attempts vs 31 attempts). Wisconsin has 5 potential All-Americans on the OL and an All-American RB and still Iowa had more yards per carry rushing. That means Iowa has a better DL. At times, Wisconsin even put in 7 offensive lineman to neutralize our DL. Iowa had more sacks than Wisconsin. Also, when the NFL comes calling Stanley's name will be called not Hornibrook. Hornibrook played on a better team the last two years, not including this year, that's why he has more wins.

Last edited:
Iowa had more yards per carry rushing and more yards per attempt passing. Of course Wisconsin had more total rushing yards because they had more attempts (44 attempts vs 31 attempts). Wisconsin has 5 potential All-Americans on the OL and an All-American RB and still Iowa had more yards per carry rushing. That means Iowa has a better DL. At times, Wisconsin even put in 7 offensive lineman to neutralize our DL. Iowa had more sacks than Wisconsin. Also, when the NFL comes calling Stanley's name will be called not Hornibrook. Hornibrook played on a better team the last two years, not including this year, that's why he has more wins.
Iowa AND Wisconsin had exactly the SAME YPC. As I said Iowa had an advantage at the DL, then again, you play 4, we play 3, and 2 because of injury. We used 7 OL, so? Sacks, c'mon! Hornibrook was sacked once, and threw 3 TD passes! What the hell did Stanley do other than throw an INT when the game was on the line? Hornibrook took a team 88 yards at the end of the game to score the go ahead TD. That is why he is the better QB, and he too will be in the NFL. Wisconsin won this game because Iowa was outcoached, and made more mistakes, for sure, but say Iowa playing in front of a full house on prime time had better players and lost due to stupid mistakes is ridiculous. One of the fumbles, yes! The other NO! And the QB sneak? Two thirds of the coaches in the country who had a 240# QB would have called the same. Sour grapes guys. You guys got beat by the team that played better for 60 minutes. You are better than some here want to post, just not quite up to Wisconsin over ALL facets of the game. Better than anybody else I think in the West.

Last edited:
Iowa AND Wisconsin had exactly the SAME YPC. As I said Iowa had an advantage at the DL, then again, you play 4, we play 3, and 2 because of injury. We used 7 OL, so? Sacks, c'mon! Hornibrook was sacked once, and threw 3 TD passes! What the hell did Stanley do other than throw an INT when the game was on the line? Hornibrook took a team 88 yards at the end of the game to score the go ahead TD. That is why he is the better QB, and he too will be in the NFL.

I meant to say Iowa as a team had more YPC than Jonathon Taylor. Also, IKM and Toren Young had more YPC than Jonathon Taylor by quite a bit. The point is Iowa has a better DL. Wisconsin's jet sweeps don't have as much to do with the DL. Even if YPC would be equal, isn't Wiscy's OL and RB suppose to be better? That indicates Iowa has a better DL. I don't think we have better LBs yet. Even if Hornibrook does make the NFL, which I doubt, Stanley will go higher, because he's the better QB.

Wisconsin has learned to play with 8 in the box. Sometimes against a good DL like Iowa is KNOWN to have it will go with 7. That's smart ball when you are a running eat up the time team. Wisconsin went into that game KNOWING that they'd go with an elephant OL. Did Iowa adjust? How successful was it to handle our pass game? As I said, player for player Iowa's DL IS better and has been helped by our injuries in that area, but it takes all 11 players on D for the 60-70 plays. Wisconsin gave up some big plays to your TE's. That didn't surprise me. Our DBs are young and your TEs talented (we wanted Fant). But 4 plays don't make a game.

Iowa went into the game giving up an average of 200 yards and 8 points. It left giving up 400+ yards and 28 points.

Last edited:
I'll give you TE. DL - No way. WI outrushed Iowa and look at Iowa's D. Soft up the middle. QB - Look at Hornibrook's career stats vs Stanley. Hornibrook is 23-4 as a starter. Stanley is 11-6. Hornibrook's completion percentage is also better. He showed better composure playing at Iowa on the road than Stanley did at home. I'm not saying Stanley isn't good, I just look at the stats and think Hornibrook is better.
Those aren't really stats that show somebody is better. Win percentage doesn't show it, as it is a team game. Completion percentage is misleading as they run shorter pass plays and have a bigger threat in their running game. Composure is subjective, Hornibrook had one good drive the entire game, passes I could have made. Not saying he isn't better, just saying the stats you listed don't necessarily prove that. I felt overall throughout the game, Stanley played better, only had a few miscues. Both are on about the same level overall though, except Stanley generally makes fewer mistakes.

Where are these slightly better players? Not at QB, not at RB, not at WR, not at OL, yes at TE, IMO yes slightly at DL, not at LB, and even at DB. Certainly not a special teams, or coaching.

I'd say Iowa is better at QB and Stanley was really good the first three quarters. I know McShay had Stanley as a first round pick if he came out early. I'll give you that Hornibrook was pretty solid this game but Stanley's ceiling is way higher. Since the QB is the most important position on the field, I'd say that convinces me Iowa is slightly better.

I'd say Wisconsin's OL gets more pub but I'm not sure it's much better than Iowa's. Iowa's OL played really well on Saturday. I'm not saying Iowa is way better just a little better. Just an opinion and not meant to disrespect Wisconsin. I'll give you coaching though and that, along with the two gifted turnovers on special teams was the difference.

I'd say Iowa is better at QB and Stanley was really good the first three quarters. I know McShay had Stanley as a first round pick if he came out early. I'll give you that Hornibrook was pretty solid this game but Stanley's ceiling is way higher. Since the QB is the most important position on the field, I'd say that convinces me Iowa is slightly better.

I'd say Wisconsin's OL gets more pub but I'm not sure it's much better than Iowa's. Iowa's OL played really well on Saturday. I'm not saying Iowa is way better just a little better. Just an opinion and not meant to disrespect Wisconsin. I'll give you coaching though and that, along with the two gifted turnovers on special teams was the difference.
Stanley's gone the same 3 years without showing he's better. Maybe two, three years from now but that won't help Iowa will it? Hmmm, as for your OL, it was running against a very inexperienced DL that was rag tag with one DE that played limited snaps due to injury, another Frosh who started the year as a Center, and an outside LB who play very limited snaps. Your OL, which IS noted to be good, should have shown itself to be the better of our DE. 5 were going against 3 and sometimes 2. ;)

Last edited:
Stanley's gone the same 3 years without showing he's better. Maybe two, three years from now but that won't help Iowa will it?

Stanley didn't play very much in 2016 like 9 pass attempts . He definitely would have qualified for a redshirt under current rules. He really should be a sophomore.

JFC some of my Hawkeye fans embarrass me.
Poor coaching and unforced errors help define how good a team is. We lost. Period. That makes 6 out of 7 AND 5 straight at home to Wisconsin. UNACCEPTABLE.

Some of you are truly starting to sound like Cyclone fans with all the excuses and yeah buts... blah blah blah. But this mentality is what we have come to expect during at least the past 9 years. Hayden Fry would want to punch you in the face.

Last edited:
Let’s take a vote? Who wants UB gone?

I’m just not sure. Was pretty sackless last week after the BYU loss but shows up this week to run his mouth. Maybe you like the banter and patronizing? What say you?

I’m just not sure. Was pretty sackless last week after the BYU loss but shows up this week to run his mouth. Maybe you like the banter and patronizing? What say you?
Rob, are you familiar with The Outsiders?

Unknown Badger reminds me of Cherry Valance, the troublemaking, Corvette driving , drama queen Soc who is always trying to show faux empathy towards the plight of the greasers while secretly trumpeting her Societal superiority when Ponyboy and Johnny need her help the most. Thats UB in a nutshell. Most of us have a neighbor or two like that, or definitely some parent at out kids school who is like that. You know unknown doesn't give a hill of beans over the fact that we can't beat Wisconsin, nor should he. He just like to come over here in that avuncular way of his, but will keep most of his contempt and venom under the surface. His refusal to post after the BYUloss, and his explanation why, both speak volumes towards his true colors. And once again, thats fine. Just don't expect inteligent posters to bite hook line and sinker to what he is trying to dangle.

Man, it's been years since I've seen The Outsiders. I am a Diane Lane fan.

I've never bought the dual fandom claim when it comes to rivalries. Cubs fans aren't sympathetic to Cardinals fans or vice versa.

I say keep him around. He hasn't been that out of line, or at least I haven't seen it, and he wears his true colors. He mostly gets owned anyway. It's the one's in disguise that are questionable, like that guy talking about the champion DNA crap.

Man, it's been years since I've seen The Outsiders. I am a Diane Lane fan.

I've never bought the dual fandom claim when it comes to rivalries. Cubs fans aren't sympathetic to Cardinals fans or vice versa.
Yes, I can respect Wisconsin, even root for them in certain neutral games, like last year's Orange Bowl. But I can't like two rival teams, and I won't in this case, regardless of what state I live in.

I like Diane Lane and her movies, too.

Latest posts