How does this D stop Robinson or Martinez?

BSpringsteen

I have no idea. I guess that's why I'm not a football coach.

I guess the only thing you can do is put a super fast LB as a QB spy the entire game?

They present problems for great defenses, how does an average one beat them?

Neither can throw, at least we can make them semi one dimensional.

I have no idea. I guess that's why I'm not a football coach.

I guess the only thing you can do is put a super fast LB as a QB spy the entire game?

They present problems for great defenses, how does an average one beat them?

Neither can throw, at least we can make them semi one dimensional.

Really well-played TEAM D. Everybody has to know their assignments ... and everybody has to EXECUTE them!

Also, guys at the LOS really have to do a better job of keeping blockers off of the guys stepping up in run support. Against guys with the speed of Shoelace or T-magik ... the guys who fill don't really have the time to also shed and get a body on them. Too often, when guys are trying to shed ... they're getting off a hair late ... and they're forced to try to do arm-tackles ... and that ain't gonna cut it.

The good news is that at least the Hawk D still has time to continue to improve at playing assignment-ball. We'll see though ....

Play a crazy amount of contain with out getting any actual pressure on the QB. Stretch it out to the sidelines let the secondary help out and then get burned with deep passes.

Neither can throw. They are ALREADY one-dimensional. Persa is a dual-threat. He can pick us apart because 1. We have to respect his ability to take off and run, 2. He can squirt around the backfield long enough for receivers to come open, 3. He's VERY accurate, and 4. He makes good, smart decisions.

Martinez and Robinson only meet the first two of those requirements. And the last one is the big key. They'll force passes, Persa RARELY does that.

I thought our defense did a pretty good job of containing the QB this week... Maybe I am missing something here.
Also, as previously mentioned, these 2 QBs are not nearly as accurate as Persa or as smart with their throws(aside from Persa's intereception, he is very smart with the ball) I would take Persa over these 2 as my QB any day of the week.

We just have to contain them/take away the run and make them throw the ball.

The same way our defense stopped NW :). We won the game and held them to only 495 yards, 38 minutes of possession. They were only 16 of 22 on 3rd down and we held them to only 72% pass completion rate.

Teams aren't going to catch the football every time like NW does. As long as we tackle people after they catch the ball for 6 yards we'll continue to stop people. Then you hope that they drop a few when they are wide open for 6 and 7 yard passes.

Contain, Contain, Contain and a little more Contain. That way they have to beat you with their arm.

Now Russel Wilson may be a problem if we ever get to that point. Cause he is actually acurate.

Last edited:
Sell out to stop the run and take your chances on the back end. Robinson's best play is the hail mary toss up, and Martinez has not shown any ability to be a consistent passer.

Neither can throw. They are ALREADY one-dimensional. Persa is a dual-threat. He can pick us apart because 1. We have to respect his ability to take off and run, 2. He can squirt around the backfield long enough for receivers to come open, 3. He's VERY accurate, and 4. He makes good, smart decisions.

Martinez and Robinson only meet the first two of those requirements. And the last one is the big key. They'll force passes, Persa RARELY does that.

Persa is a better player than either of those two. Robinson has a completion % around 50 and has 10 interceptions. You contain him on the sidelines and make him throw the ball, and half the time he fails, and 7% of the time he throws it to your guys.

Contain, Contain, Contain
Use the MSU playbook the run blitzes have to force these guys to the middle of the field, can't allow these guys to get to the edge.

The light bulb seems to be coming on for Alvis and the '09 Binns apparently has re-emerged so their is hope.

Do the same thing you did last year against Robinson. That, and watch the MSU game film and copy what they did exactly.

Persa is way scarier to me than either of those two ... sell out to stop the run, let them throw all they want

Problem is you cant sell out totally like MSU did, unless it is working and they dont have an answer for it. You have to force everything back to the middle. Color around the edges. Push on the edges and stay with your block (making what will look like a rainbow to the qb), until they get uncomfortable and either throw it or try and run, if they run, get off your block and grab em. LB's play heads up, close to the los, but far enough back you can see whats going on, and MAKE SURE THE EDGE IS SEALED. Norm knows. We will be fine.
Nebby has to play MSU and Penn before we get them, so I fully expect them to lose another "star" player before we get them and who knows who that may be.

There are Michigan fans who aren't even convinced that D-Rob will be starting at QB by the time they play us. It has become painfully obvious that the guy just can't throw unless it's a huck to wide open receiver downfield.

Latest posts