How does this D stop Robinson or Martinez?

I know it's not night and day.. but weren't we missing some starters on the defensive unit that we'd likely see back for the Mich game?

If I am Parker I want Robinson throwing from the pocket. The DLine needs to drive the OL right into the QB with a Bull Rush, just like they did against Northwestern. But Iowa has got to figure out a way to stop 3rd and long so they can get off the field. They were only able to force NW into ONE 3 and out all game and there were 5 drives of at least 10 plays. If you would have showed me the Team Stats without watching the game I would have thought Iowa got blown out. You cannot give up 16 out of 22 3rd down conversions and expect to win the game or 495 yards.

Hopefully Parker can make some adjustments against Indiana and Minnesota or even those games will be an adventure. If Iowa plays defense against Michigan the way they did against Northwestern then it will be a long day.

i agree with the first paragraph, but completely disagree with the second paragraph. you seem to be forgetting that persa is actually a QB who has the ability to run. michigan and minnesota have running backs that have arms(can't say they have the ability to throw). slow down the running, you disrupt their whole plan. haven't seen much of indiana to comment

This.

BOTH quarterbacks present MUCH more favorable matchups for our defense than Persa/NU...

IF we can force as many 3rd & 4+'s as we did against NW, we will fare MUCH better...Neither team is good at dink & dunk...

JonD has the answer - sell out to stop the run. (I'd add UofI needs to score at least 2-3 TDs) NU's getting smarter in that they're relying more on Burkhead and less on Martinez to get yardage. I think the Ohio St. game is going to become the model - have Martinez hand off or check down early. Then later in the game, release him to run. By then he's comfortable, and hopefully not in a position where he thinks he needs to be a gunslinger.

The Wisc. game was the worst case scenario - defense couldn't contain Wilson and the OC and Martinez got nervous and thought they were in a shootout. You want to win in Lincoln, that's what Iowa's got to do - get up early and make it look like the Blackshirts can't stop 'em. That'll rattle Martinez into trying to do more than he's capable of, and he'll make mistakes.....

Now, do I think that'll happen, especially in Lincoln? :) ...........

Commit to making them throw the ball. They both throw ducks, Martinez moreso.

Martinez has a release much like Kent Tekulve!
001308268.jpg

I think Persa/Culter are better QB weapons than either Robinson or Martinez, the problem is UM and UNL have better supporting casts and defenses. Neb has a running game to deal with outside of Martinez. Neb also has a pretty dang good defense, much better than NW fielded.

Persa is incredibly elusive (like Robinson and Martinez) but he is an incredibly accurate passer as well, a superlative that certainly does not fit either of the other two QBs.

I think Persa/Culter are better QB weapons than either Robinson or Martinez, the problem is UM and UNL have better supporting casts and defenses. Neb has a running game to deal with outside of Martinez. Neb also has a pretty dang good defense, much better than NW fielded.

Persa is incredibly elusive (like Robinson and Martinez) but he is an incredibly accurate passer as well, a superlative that certainly does not fit either of the other two QBs.

I know their defense was supposed to be good but right now they are 9th in the Big Ten, giving up 27 points/game. They gave up 27 points at home to an Ohio State team that doesn't have a quarterback and didn't have Boom Herron.

We are screwed against Michigan if we play standard D. Iowa is going to have to force them to pass which means not matching up with their offensive set. This D-line is going to really struggle against Michigan and we must play 8 in the box and spy on obvious passing downs. I don't feel confident we will see adjustments early in the Michigan game. Hope I am wrong.

How does this defense stop Michigan or Nebraska...it is simple, it doesn't. It won't stop MSU eitehr. Heck the way this defense plays, the Minnesota game might be a barnburner./..

How does this defense stop Michigan or Nebraska...it is simple, it doesn't. It won't stop MSU eitehr. Heck the way this defense plays, the Minnesota game might be a barnburner./..

After IU's first two drives, they went punt, punt, end of half, field goal, turnover on downs, punt, garbage time touchdown. I guess I'm not seeing the crisis here.

After IU's first two drives, they went punt, punt, end of half, field goal, turnover on downs, punt, garbage time touchdown. I guess I'm not seeing the crisis here.

I think the angst comes from a horrible Indiana team with a true freshman QB sustaining three long drives against Iowa's 1st team defense.

This defense has issues. The 1st one is getting fully healthy

I can't believe you guys!!! The Hawks just won a game - the offence played well - the defense did what it had to do - and all you can do is *****. Let them enjoy this win and start to prepare for the Gophers. Sure the defense has to improve to beat Nebby, MSU and Mich, but give them credit for the win and let them worry about next week. Everyone knew the defense had a long way to go before they played one game. A lot can happen in the next 6 weeks.

I can't believe you guys!!! The Hawks just won a game - the offence played well - the defense did what it had to do - and all you can do is *****. Let them enjoy this win and start to prepare for the Gophers. Sure the defense has to improve to beat Nebby, MSU and Mich, but give them credit for the win and let them worry about next week. Everyone knew the defense had a long way to go before they played one game. A lot can happen in the next 6 weeks.

So no speculation on the future is allowed and no discussion of the teams issues? Gotcha

Latest posts