How do you feel if your kids goes to Iowa State and youre truly Hawk fan?

If one of my kids wants to be a vet or engineer, I'll gladly pay out out of state tuition for them to go somewhere else. They won't even consider Iowa State after growing up with me.

Not ISU but daughter recently committed to become a Becky softballer.

ISU was under consideration, even camped there early in the process but, in true chick fashion, she decided she didn't like the colors. (Can you believe that? Eliminating a school from the recruiting process based on their colors? Keep that in mind the next time you try to figure out what's going on in the decision-making of a high school recruit :p!)

She's well aware how strong my loyalty is to Iowa -- an alum, a long-time season ticket holder & contributor. She still attends / watches some games with me. She knows how much I love Iowa City. She's been there many times, enough to be familiar with the city and campus (even took the orientation tour) and realizes it's very close to home to where we could make almost every game. She has met with coaches and camped there, as well. She has even worked with Gayle Blevins during the off season. Despite all that, it just didn't seem to be a fit for her.

Key words, there ... I / me vs her. It sickens and saddens me that, in this day of uber-participation from the time kids are in 3rd or 4th grade, too many parents can't separate the two because (in the name of "opportunity, support and protection") they are trying to compensate for something by living vicariously through their kids. They become so excessively involved in dictating their kids' lives that they blur it into being about them, rather than about their child's experience and life to live.

As a parent, I have 1 job: raise my daughter to be respectful of herself and others, have confidence, think, recognize and seize opportunities, don't give up in the face of challenge and laugh. If I do my job, I figure everything else is up to her to succeed or fail. I feel pretty good that she'll be just fine.

Would've loved for her to be a Hawk. Doesn't matter. She wants to be a Badger. I'm still a Hawk and she's still my daughter.

That's pretty cool SB, all my kids are gone from college, but while deciding they never once considered ISU. If they would've considered it, it would've been ok with me. Some of my best friends are clone fans, and all I know about the school is that it's on my way to Des Moines and west of I-35....lived in NE Iowa most of my life, that's all I know.....Iowa has always been my families team of choice....love them Hawkeyes and always will, win or lose....Now Wisconsin on the other hand.....;)...Madison is awful nice though....

Last edited:
If a parent questions their kids choice in school because they are a rival, they need to turn in their parent membership badge. Understand when it comes to things like degree choice or even things like cost. But Really? People would be upset with their child choosing to attend a rivalry school?

Stillbuster is dead on with his post.

ISU was under consideration, even camped there early in the process but, in true chick fashion, she decided she didn't like the colors. (Can you believe that? Eliminating a school from the recruiting process based on their colors? Keep that in mind the next time you try to figure out what's going on in the decision-making of a high school recruit :p!)

She's well aware how strong my loyalty is to Iowa -- an alum, a long-time season ticket holder & contributor. She still attends / watches some games with me. She knows how much I love Iowa City. She's been there many times, enough to be familiar with the city and campus (even took the orientation tour) and realizes it's very close to home to where we could make almost every game. She has met with coaches and camped there, as well. She has even worked with Gayle Blevins during the off season. Despite all that, it just didn't seem to be a fit for her.

Key words, there ... I / me vs her. It sickens and saddens me that, in this day of uber-participation from the time kids are in 3rd or 4th grade, too many parents can't separate the two because (in the name of "opportunity, support and protection") they are trying to compensate for something by living vicariously through their kids. They become so excessively involved in dictating their kids' lives that they blur it into being about them, rather than about their child's experience and life to live.

As a parent, I have 1 job: raise my daughter to be respectful of herself and others, have confidence, think, recognize and seize opportunities, don't give up in the face of challenge and laugh. If I do my job, I figure everything else is up to her to succeed or fail. I feel pretty good that she'll be just fine.

Would've loved for her to be a Hawk. Doesn't matter. She wants to be a Badger. I'm still a Hawk and she's still my daughter.

Agree with this post. I do understand her choice of Madison. I lived in Wisco for a few years and really liked Madison a lot. Seems like a great college town. Lots to do and see. Wisconsin in general is a great place to live.

Depends, on what I want out of my kids. I have one stupid kid that I'm fine if he justs want to party. So, in that case - IOWA is great as it's # 1 party school. I have another kid who is smart and wants to be an engineer... in that case I'm ok with clown school.

I don't see a problem with this. It is about the kids getting an education that prepares them for real life, not popular opinion on message boards. If their self esteem is defined by the performance of the football team that they have no control over, my guess is they will have some problems in life.

Definitely wouldn't care. If ISU is better for their desired degree, I would hope they choose the better school for their plans. A kid doesn't owe any school anything based on sports fandom, just like kids don't owe the athletic department anything simply because they happen to attend the school.

This is a great answer and one I would fully agree with.

I am the son in your scenario. Only person in my family to go to ISU, rest huge Iowa fans. If you are any kind of parent/family that cares about each other that stuff doesn't matter one bit. I was encouraged to go where I felt I needed to go. I have a 6 month old son and I would be very proud if he went to ISU or Iowa or Kirkwood, or the military or none of the above. Just as long as he is happy.

This is another great answer.

I'd be totally fine with it. It is a great community college to get started at before transferring to a four year university like Iowa.

I am not wealthy and I highly doubt it that I will ever be wealthy so if ISU is offering up a schollie academic, athletic or otherwise probably going to have to run with it. Only stipulation I would have is that i would never wear their gear. If i were to attend athletic events I would probably have to break out my Steeler gear or maybe some cub stuff.

Both of my kids are out of college and in the working working world but it would not have bothered me at all. I pull for ISU when it is not playing Iowa even though their fans inferiority complex drives me crazy. I actually like ISU WBB and Bill Fennelly more that Iowa womens BB.

I'd be totally fine with it. It is a great community college to get started at before transferring to a four year university like Iowa.

Since you took my answer, I'll say this instead: I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe he/she could learn to castrate pigs and run for senate some day.

I had 2 nephews graduate from lames...one a Vet and one works for Cargill. Good fit for their academics paths.

That said, they've both remained Iowa fans. There was only a brief wavering while they were on campus...it quickly passed after graduation.

Last edited:

We'll said. If you prohibit your kid from going to a school strictly based on fandom you are a crappy parent.

Latest posts