How do you feel if your kids goes to Iowa State and youre truly Hawk fan?

basketballnames.jpg

My son starts this year in the aerospace engineering program at ISU. I'M SO PROUD of him. He's already told me he will be going with me to Hawk games this year and will not give up his seat in Kinnick.

My son starts this year in the aerospace engineering program at ISU. I'M SO PROUD of him. He's already told me he will be going with me to Hawk games this year and will not give up his seat in Kinnick.

Outstanding......

If ISU has a better course that fits one's talents, it would be wise to go there, to continue to be an Iowa fan is the right way to do it.....[Grin]

One of my friends I went to Dowling with went to Iowa and Iowa State, and goes to games at both schools. He usually goes to the Iowa football games with us, but goes to the big ISU games. He watched the Ok St. game, but won't watch the Iowa-Iowa State games with us because his heart is torn and he is among rabid Hawk fans.....

:cool:

I don't have kids, but if I did, it would be THEIR choice, not mine. They should live their lives for themselves, not for me. That's the only way I can see it.

Any dad out there?

My son went to Central. My daughter to Kirkwood. Both got what they wanted as far as degrees go, and both are Hawkeye fans. My nephew is an Iowa State grad who wore black and gold for the four years he attended to get his mechanical engineering degree and still roots for the Hawks in head-to-head competition.

Just depends on the kid and what he or she wants. Like others have said, if I have a son or daughter who wants to be a Vet. or an Engineer I think it would make perfect sense for them to go to ISU.

I know that we here in the state of Iowa are conditioned to believe that Iowa State is a top engineering college. When you look at national statistics, Iowa State isn't in the top 20. But, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue and Maryland are all in the top 20 representing the B1G. By most comparison sites, Iowa State ranks around 35-40th, depending upon what site you check.

We are also conditioned to believe that Iowa State is a top veterinary college. Again, looking at national statistics, Iowa State is around 15-20th, depending upon the site. Good rating... top 20 and all, but again the B1G has Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, and Wisconsin all ranking higher.

I know that we here in the state of Iowa are conditioned to believe that Iowa State is a top engineering college. When you look at national statistics, Iowa State isn't in the top 20. But, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue and Maryland are all in the top 20 representing the B1G. By most comparison sites, Iowa State ranks around 35-40th, depending upon what site you check.

We are also conditioned to believe that Iowa State is a top veterinary college. Again, looking at national statistics, Iowa State is around 15-20th, depending upon the site. Good rating... top 20 and all, but again the B1G has Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, and Wisconsin all ranking higher.

Thanks for the update, I always assumed that ISU was the pinnacle of engineering and veterinary education.

You did well with your children, sent them to the right schools for them and kept them Hawk fans along with your nephew. Excellent parenting.....

You did well, Knight....

:rolleyes:

Yes, but in-state they are the "top" option for Engineering and Veterinary studies. So if my kid wants to stay in-state and become an Engineer or a Vet. I would understand and support them choosing ISU.

I've already made the decision that I won't be paying for their college so in reality they can choose whatever school they want to :). Unless I strike it rich sometime in the next 10-20 years that is.

What's this ******** that the State of IA is going to direct $12 million more to ISU away from IA because ISU has more in state kids? That's crap.

Actually, I worked in the vet industry for three years, just a couple years back and as I was leaving the industry the vet school was ranked second to last. On top of that, they lost their accreditation status very recently (they now have a probation status) which is a really big deal, and a very very poor representation of how well the school is running. If you have a pet, you do NOT want to take them to isu vet school. That's one of those factoids

Actually, I worked in the vet industry for three years, just a couple years back and as I was leaving the industry the vet school was ranked second to last. On top of that, they lost their accreditation status very recently (they now have a probation status) which is a really big deal, and a very very poor representation of how well the school is running. If you have a pet, you do NOT want to take them to isu vet school. That's one of those factoids

Yikes! No wonders they're called clown university.

Yes, but in-state they are the "top" option for Engineering and Veterinary studies. So if my kid wants to stay in-state and become an Engineer or a Vet. I would understand and support them choosing ISU.

I've already made the decision that I won't be paying for their college so in reality they can choose whatever school they want to :). Unless I strike it rich sometime in the next 10-20 years that is.

Kind of like the line from Mel Brooks' "To Be or Not to Be": "He's world famous in Poland."

Not sure what you are talking about. Of course, since this is the ISU VetMed site, they could be lying.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/news/isu-veterinary-college-receives-full-accreditation

ISU Veterinary College Receives Full Accreditation

Date:
March 13, 2011

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine was once again awarded full accreditation by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the national accrediting body for veterinary colleges.

“We are very proud that the college received full accreditation status,” said Dr. Lisa K. Nolan, Dr. Stephen G. Juelsgaard Dean of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State. “As the country’s oldest public veterinary college and Iowa’s only veterinary college, we believe that training future veterinarians is an important mission and a great responsibility. I’m pleased with the efforts and accomplishments of our faculty, clinicians and staff in providing the best education and training for our students. Full accreditation confirms that we have been successful in our efforts.”

Every seven years the AVMA does a through review of the college based on 11 standards. The accreditation process takes approximately nine months. It begins with the preparation of a self-study report that is reviewed by a team from the AVMA’s Council on Education prior to its five-day visit to assess the college’s educational program. The team’s report is submitted to the council, which decides whether to grant full accreditation. Full accreditation means the college is meeting all the requirements and standards for educating and training future veterinarians. The status is granted for a period of no more than seven years, contingent on satisfactory review by the AVMA of annual reports from the college.

“This is an important milestone for the college, and we are committed to continual improvement and enhancement of our veterinary education program,” Dean Nolan said.

Not sure what you are talking about. Of course, since this is the ISU VetMed site, they could be lying.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/news/isu-veterinary-college-receives-full-accreditation

Date:
March 13, 2011

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine was once again awarded full accreditation by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the national accrediting body for veterinary colleges.

“We are very proud that the college received full accreditation status,” said Dr. Lisa K. Nolan, Dr. Stephen G. Juelsgaard Dean of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State. “As the country’s oldest public veterinary college and Iowa’s only veterinary college, we believe that training future veterinarians is an important mission and a great responsibility. I’m pleased with the efforts and accomplishments of our faculty, clinicians and staff in providing the best education and training for our students. Full accreditation confirms that we have been successful in our efforts.”

Every seven years the AVMA does a through review of the college based on 11 standards. The accreditation process takes approximately nine months. It begins with the preparation of a self-study report that is reviewed by a team from the AVMA’s Council on Education prior to its five-day visit to assess the college’s educational program. The team’s report is submitted to the council, which decides whether to grant full accreditation. Full accreditation means the college is meeting all the requirements and standards for educating and training future veterinarians. The status is granted for a period of no more than seven years, contingent on satisfactory review by the AVMA of annual reports from the college.

“This is an important milestone for the college, and we are committed to continual improvement and enhancement of our veterinary education program,” Dean Nolan said.

I would guess he is referencing this. Which isnt as dire as he makes it.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_e53e5e50-39aa-512f-97c0-76f916c9c2b4.html

And from 10 years ago.

In the higher education business, this sounds like what we call "using accreditation to get what you want." Sometimes, you have to play hard-ball and take a knock from your accreditation agency to get administration support for what you really want.

Its sure possible. It must have worked, now they are getting all sorts of goods to remodel and reinvigorate.

Date:
March 13, 2011

That's outdated I believe. Losing their acceediation is pretty recent

Latest posts