How big a town are you from?

Waverly, IA....graduated in 1980, class size 210.....
Now on Charles City.....gotta love the NEIC. When I was growing up CC was around 12,000, now 7500.

GJhawk - Hmm, how about Grand Junction? I believe he said that in thread about travel to the Rose Bowl a couple years ago. Got to agree on the number there, 590 would be about right for a town w/ 12.5K, - OR - town of 1250 would have a class of about 59. Thinking the number of zeros in one of those two numbers is off.

Grand Junction was my first thought (been there several times on biz) but it's nowhere near 130,000

North Liberty?

If so I have relatives who have lived there for 25-30 years and they are not liking what's happening.

I visited last summer and was stunned at the growth from the last time I was there.
Lived there too for a time back in the 80's. Even then it was a fast-growing area. Large amount of transient population in that many are working on their Master's or PhD and then leave when their research grant ended, or were a new hire for an expanding department @ SUI. As it is what is happening around IC is what demographers have been talking about for years; the resettling of the Iowa population to less than a handful of metro areas.

Grew up in Decorah. NE Iowa, very NE. Happy to say the town is still doing okay. I think we're around 8,000 population still. Only make it back once or twice a year. Folks still live there. Live in St Paul now, Chicago for a couple years after college

Yeah, probably closer to 60 or 70 thousand. But man, do they love their dirt bikes!
WFO baby! If you go by the city limits then it is 60K. I think GJHawk may be referring to the greater Grand Junction Metropolitan area as a whole. That would be like referring to the Iowa City metropolitan area which includes Coralville and North Liberty. The suburbs out there are just lines on a map usually. You cross the street and, voilà, you are in another municipality.

Grew up in Philadelphia until the seventh grade when we moved to DM.....

Over 2 million folks for neighbors at the time.....

Used to ride the trolleys and subway/elevated trains. In the Summer we would wait by the turnstiles for the sound of the subway approaching. When we heard it slow down we would race to the turnstiles and slide under them, not unlike sliding into third base, and run to the train with the security screaming at us.....:cool:

CoP605_Subway_sm.jpg

49th-at-woodland-1967-660x409.jpg

When Christmas came around we would go to John Wanamaker's Department Store to ride the monorail around the ceiling.....

;
curio_pic_wanamaker_monorail_mj2009_1000px.jpg

Nonetheless, Iowa is a much better place to live.....

:cool:
Also lived in Philadelphia for a few years as a child and one of the few things I remember is Wanamakers. Standing in line with my little brother waiting to see Santa Claus and him screaming......Another brother used to crawl into the display fixtures so had to be on a little harness.

When I was a teenager, we were living in Chicago and I moved with my mother to a small town in NW Iowa to live with my aunt and uncle. Soon after after moving to the small town, I learned city council has banned dancing and rock music. I soon met a rebellious teenage girl with a very strict Reverend father. We were determined to change her fathers opinions and the town and allow music and dance again.

I went before the city council and read several Bible verses to cite scriptural support for the worth of dancing to rejoice, exercise, or celebrate. Although the Reverend was moved, the council votes against me and music and dance are once again banned from the town.

It was at this time, I was able to obtain a video of Kirk Ferentz dancing in the Hawkeye lockerroom after a victory at Nebraska securing a 12-0 season. I showed the Reverend the video and he was moved to allow dance and music again.

We were then allowed to have music and dancing at our prom. Man, I got so laid at prom that year.
Well-played WinOne...well-played.

A town of 12,500 but a graduating class of 59?! The math doesn't work.

Also...what city in Western Colorado has a population of 130,000?
Oops, got an extra zero in there. Grand Junction. Actual town isn't that big, but the valley where Grand Junction is located has that big a population.

WFO baby! If you go by the city limits then it is 60K. I think GJHawk may be referring to the greater Grand Junction Metropolitan area as a whole. That would be like referring to the Iowa City metropolitan area which includes Coralville and North Liberty. The suburbs out there are just lines on a map usually. You cross the street and, voilà, you are in another municipality.
Correct. According to Wikipedia the valley had a population of 147083 in 2011. Everyone here just considers the valley as one big community.

In west Philadelphia born and raised. On the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool. Shooting some b-ball................. Can't believe no one has posted that yet.

For real though:

Grew up in Nashua, IA which at the time had a population of about 1900 and a graduating class of around 75, IIRC. Those were great times as a kid. Leaving the house in the morning with no particular plans in mind and coming home at dark exhausted from all the things we did.

Used to climb the grain elevator late at night in our early teens, then sit up there and enjoy the view. My those were the days.

Live in Clear Lake now which has about 7700 people. I love the town as there is something going on nearly every weekend. I'm just a small town guy. Could never survive in a city. I hate crowds and traffic.

Correct. According to Wikipedia the valley had a population of 147083 in 2011. Everyone here just considers the valley as one big community.
That sounds about right. I like Grand Junction. Spend the night there about once a year or so. I have property out in Arizona and on some trips we drive out there. Grand Junction is a good day's drive from Prescott.

Great drive from GJ to Prescott. See the whole gamut of scenery. Desert, red rock formations, Navajo country, canyon country, mountains. That drive encapsulates the southwest of our country.

Waverly, IA....graduated in 1980, class size 210.....
Now on Charles City.....gotta love the NEIC. When I was growing up CC was around 12,000, now 7500.

Grew up close to Chucktown. Bunch of thugs up there. Always wanted to fight guys from my town, even though our town was much smaller.

In west Philadelphia born and raised. On the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool. Shooting some b-ball................. Can't believe no one has posted that yet.

For real though:

Grew up in Nashua, IA which at the time had a population of about 1900 and a graduating class of around 75, IIRC. Those were great times as a kid. Leaving the house in the morning with no particular plans in mind and coming home at dark exhausted from all the things we did.

Used to climb the grain elevator late at night in our early teens, then sit up there and enjoy the view. My those were the days.

Live in Clear Lake now which has about 7700 people. I love the town as there is something going on nearly every weekend. I'm just a small town guy. Could never survive in a city. I hate crowds and traffic.

Did you ever sneak into the Nashua Country Club to swim at night with friends?

"The Rock"?

Last edited:
This week I started working from home. I could have done it years ago but chose to drive 12 minutes to the local office. I had a nice office, nice desk, phone, big window.

This is strange and a bit wonderful.
I went from working outside and on the road a lot to having a desk job. That was a bigger change than going from driving to work and then not. Thankfully I have an ear piece and a standing desk so I'm not totally nailed down to my desk I can go outside about 50 yards or so now.

Born and raised in Marshalltown...25,000 or so people.
Grad class was around 350.
After college I moved to the Twin Cities...3,000,000+ people. I love it. So much variety and so much to do compared to small towns.

From my perspective in the IT field, all white collar jobs are heading where the talent is and where the talent wants to live, which is big cities. Long gone are the days when an employee hooks their trailer to one company and rides them all the way to retirement. Loyalty no longer exists when a company can outsource your job at any point.

My assumption is that over the next 3-5 years the work from home opportunities are going to explode as companies continue looking for ways to cut costs, which could be good for smaller towns. It would allow people to live where they actually want to and raise a family where they want to.

Latest posts