How big a town are you from?

Mike Falls was the only guy to strike me out my senior year of baseball. Had a live fastball. If I remeber right W B and Van Buren got into a brawl and IHSA kicked a number of players out for the rest of the season.
That was after my time. I always missed the good stuff! :(

That was after my time. I always missed the good stuff! :(
The Van Buren guys were really mouthy....but so were the girls. The Falcon guys didnt win at anything....but baseball when Falls pitched. We couldnt figure out why they got booted. A New London guy sruck me out in playoffs but it was below my knees...so I dont count that. Going to McDonalds was a big deal for us. You guys had it all....and a mall.....we were out in the Boonies.

The Van Buren guys were really mouthy....but so were the girls. The Falcon guys didnt win at anything....but baseball when Falls pitched. We couldnt figure out why they got booted. A New London guy sruck me out in playoffs but it was below my knees...so I dont count that. Going to McDonalds was a big deal for us. You guys had it all....and a mall.....we were out in the Boonies.
The old conference everybody but W. B. was in the boonies! In football we played tri county and just tromped them something horrible. After the game when the bus was leaving a bunch of wild childs was knocking out the windows on the bus with chains! That was kind of weird. The chain guys were a lot tougher than the football team! Lol I had forgot about that. Come to think of it W.B. was playing at Cardinal in basketball and a Cardinal player knocked one of our players out cold! That was a pretty good free for all! The Cardinal player said he did it for breaking his leg in football! Sheeeesh I had forgot about all that stuff.

The old conference everybody but W. B. was in the boonies! In football we played tri county and just tromped them something horrible. After the game when the bus was leaving a bunch of wild childs was knocking out the windows on the bus with chains! That was kind of weird. The chain guys were a lot tougher than the football team! Lol I had forgot about that. Come to think of it W.B. was playing at Cardinal in basketball and a Cardinal player knocked one of our players out cold! That was a pretty good free for all! The Cardinal player said he did it for breaking his leg in football! Sheeeesh I had forgot about all that stuff.

Jeez ya bunch of Hicks!! Glad I grew up in NE Iowa where a bit more civil. You guys are just a bit too close to the Missouri border and it shows!

Hometown: Ankeny, Iowa
Graduating Class: 400-450
Population: About 20K when I moved there, about 30K when I moved to college, almost 60K now

Ankeny was really starting to grow a lot during my childhood years, but it's stunning to see the changes each time I go back. In my (stuck in 1997) mind, Mendards is the only store on Delaware, and the big exciting thing is the new connection between 2nd Avenue and State Street that opens up a new way to drive to Des Moines.

In the last decade, I've spent maybe 30 total hours in Ankeny. Each time I visit, I'm amazed at the number of things that are so, so different and the number of things that are just like I remember them. There is so much growth in areas that I remember being cornfields, but at the same time, the older parts of town where I spent so much of time (I grew up near the old funeral home on 1st St) still seem so similar to what I remember.

I think back before my time WB was down 74--0 at half time of a football game. When I was in school several WB football players marched in the marching band at halftime in their football uniforms. I think they had white jerseys only and we played with home jerseys at WB. Tri County was terrible in about everything but baseball. In basketball they had a 6-8 inner city kid from Milwaukee show up and they either won or came close to winning the conference. He was highly recruited but I don't know what ever happened to him. Tri County was an eternity bus ride from WB wasn't it? No 4 lanes on 34. Cardinal was always sassy. VB and Cardinal were old river towns. I think Cardinal had 2 players off their football team in that time period that played for ISU when they were under old 8 and 3. There at times was pretty good sport in those days. A guy from our school (not to be mentioned) was a starter in the Pac 10 in basketball for a ranked team. Tri County was always a long ride and an adventure when there.

A lot of the schools have pretty much dried up in rural SE Iowa. Except maybe WB. Mt Pleasant seems to be doing OK, but the number of murders there in the past was incredible.

I didn't grow up in a town, but the nearest one was only 3 miles away with a population of about 1200 at that time. Probably isn't much more today. I graduated in 1980 and lived about 10 miles outside of Davenport. The small towns in western Scott County had their own elementary schools and one Jr High but we all had to go to Davenport for HS. In those days HS in Davenport was just grades 10-12 and we had about 3000 in our school, Dav West. It was the biggest HS in the state at that time. I don't remember the exact number but I had somewhere between 900-1000 kids in my graduating class. We had trailers out back for classes we were so overcrowded. So I was a small town farm kid who had to go to a big city HS. I moved away to California for about 7 years then Texas for one before I returned for some unknown reason. I live in Davenport now and would have no interest in living in the small town community again; too closed minded, too many people in your business, too many people who never left and experienced the rest of the world. Just my opinion, different things make different people happy. Mostly I wish I had never come back as I can think of hundreds of places I'd rather live. But, tied to a job now, kids are all here in town, Iowa City or Cedar Rapids with one in the Twin Cities, grandkids are nearby so I'm here for the duration.

As a side note, Davenport has as many people as when I was in school but not nearly as many kids. We've had to close down schools. Fewer kids, far more old folks.

I think back before my time WB was down 74--0 at half time of a football game. When I was in school several WB football players marched in the marching band at halftime in their football uniforms. I think they had white jerseys only and we played with home jerseys at WB. Tri County was terrible in about everything but baseball. In basketball they had a 6-8 inner city kid from Milwaukee show up and they either won or came close to winning the conference. He was highly recruited but I don't know what ever happened to him. Tri County was an eternity bus ride from WB wasn't it? No 4 lanes on 34. Cardinal was always sassy. VB and Cardinal were old river towns. I think Cardinal had 2 players off their football team in that time period that played for ISU when they were under old 8 and 3. There at times was pretty good sport in those days. A guy from our school (not to be mentioned) was a starter in the Pac 10 in basketball for a ranked team. Tri County was always a long ride and an adventure when there.

A lot of the schools have pretty much dried up in rural SE Iowa. Except maybe WB. Mt Pleasant seems to be doing OK, but the number of murders there in the past was incredible.
Tri County was 110 miles and all 2 lanes. It was great because we got out of school early just to get there. I don't remember a score that bad but I don't doubt you. The only state championships W.B. has is they won a couple track titles. Them boys were faaaaaaast! Isaiah Trousil has been the fastest kid in the state for like 3 years. His grandpa is the mayor of W,B. and I would of never thought of that back in school. Waco was a huge rivalry in most sports. They seemed to enjoy kicking are butt! Lol They would use their faculty for officals and our coach one time almost scored a touchdown for them because of the penalties he got called on him. The old Blackhawk conference was a pretty tuff conference. Now they have super conferences with all kinds of classes mixed in. Head scratcher for sure.

Tri County was 110 miles and all 2 lanes. It was great because we got out of school early just to get there. I don't remember a score that bad but I don't doubt you. The only state championships W.B. has is they won a couple track titles. Them boys were faaaaaaast! Isaiah Trousil has been the fastest kid in the state for like 3 years. His grandpa is the mayor of W,B. and I would of never thought of that back in school. Waco was a huge rivalry in most sports. They seemed to enjoy kicking are butt! Lol They would use their faculty for officals and our coach one time almost scored a touchdown for them because of the penalties he got called on him. The old Blackhawk conference was a pretty tuff conference. Now they have super conferences with all kinds of classes mixed in. Head scratcher for sure.

How on earth does it work for WB/ND the latter of which is private to coop football?

Hampton IA (30 miles south of Mason City)
4500 population in the 70s
Graduating class of 120 in 1977

Big night was to drive to Mason City, cruise the NIACC chicks, grab a beer at the College Inn, then the drive through at McDonalds.

I've lived all over (career Navy).....including WashDC, Chicago. I put up with the larger cities due to the job. Usually hated it. I came back to Iowa almost immediately after retiring from the Navy.

Live in Durant now, exit 277 on I-80....about 1800 in population. *Perfect* for me....close to the Quad Cities, Iowa City, but no crime, gangs, traffic, noise.

Last edited:
How on earth does it work for WB/ND the latter of which is private to coop football?
ND and WB hated each other bad! I couldn't believe it when they combined them. Baseball and basketball I think is the only 2 sports they don't combine. ND has like 8 grads a year. Maybe more but not much. We have them in track, wrestling, football and softball. If they want to swim they need to go to BHS. As for the contract I don't know the specifics but it was just renewed this past year I believe. ND is just hanging on by a thread. They have a lot of fund raisers every year that brings in some big money. Brads kids went their so I'm sure he supported the school big time! It's kind of weird when they have to play both school songs!

Also lived in Philadelphia for a few years as a child and one of the few things I remember is Wanamakers. Standing in line with my little brother waiting to see Santa Claus and him screaming......Another brother used to crawl into the display fixtures so had to be on a little harness.

Downtown Philadelphia was loaded with Department Stores. Wanamakers, Gimbles and Strawbridge Clothier. Returned to Philly after high school in DM to work in GImbles Advertising Department, lasted about two years before I Had to return to DM.....

With Amazon becoming an unstoppable force, department stores are fast becoming a thing of the past. However it is nice to actually see, in person, what one is considering to purchase, and every large store has sales all the time.....

:cool:

SE Iowa. Town of 1000. Moved away for several years, but the small town aspect pulled me back in. Good manufacturing company, hospital, small businesses. The county itself is one of the poorest in the state, but the community is doing very well, thanks to hard work by the residents. We have a golf course, new community pool, and wrapping up a 4 field baseball complex. I love the laid back lifestyle. I can drive my golf cart around town and meeting up with friends doesn't require weeks of planning. Wish I was closer to Iowa City, but it takes 90 minutes to get to a lot of places when you live in a city too.

Grew up in Garwin IA. about 800 people and had 12 in my class, but graduated from Frisco Texas. 12,000 people at the time I graduated and I had 64 kids in my class. Frisco now has 9 high schools the Dallas Cowboys practice facility and is growing bigger every day.

Back in the '80s I was the varsity basketball coach at Maxwell, in the same conference. Garwin kicked our butts. The year before I left there they were the state runner-up in boys basketball. Gary Peterson was the coach - a very intense guy that was Bob Knight on caffiene. But they had a really good couple of classes where they were good in football, basketball, track and baseball. Now both high schools are combined with nearby schools. Collins-Maxwell-Baxter (my starting point guard is now the high school principal there) and Green Mountain-Garwin.

Latest posts