High-Step Showboat Crap

I think RB25 is going into the DJK type of doghouse for the rest of the year. Probably wearing a costume during practice or holding a sign that says I Don't Care About My Teammates. Maybe some suspensions for the first quarter or first half of the rest of the games, before a final suspension and ending his nfl career before it begins.

You're completely missing the point. Why even chance it with that sort of behavior? I'm surprised Wadley's never been called before. It's a selfish move that only has a downside--hurting the team with a penalty.

So...you're saying he shouldn't high-step when trying to make a juke/move? Good Lord, they should take away his jump-cut, too, huh?

When that kind of "penalty" becomes subject to "judgment", the game is lost. Think Bama players will ever get called for that? Think O$U players will ever get called for that?

Look at it for what it is. A player is being given a penalty for running a certain way. Anyone that is as upset as Mrs. Huckleberry Finn needs to get a hobby.

Worse, it COULD affect him using high-step as a juke-move. God forbid he ever uses his jump-cut again.

Come to think of it, a QB using a pump-fake offends me. It's practically "taunting", don't you agree?

Agree that was not a real High-step, more a leg stretch, Way too much interpretation by the refs. Did anyone see the Oklahoma/Ohio State game? That game would still be playing if they were held to this standard. Hell they celebrate the huddle break. BS call, let a guy have a little fun. I'll be watching games this season to see if this call is being made consistently.

You know damn well it won't. Think Bama will EVER get called for one?

Worse, it COULD affect him using high-step as a juke-move. God forbid he ever uses his jump-cut again.

Come to think of it, a QB using a pump-fake offends me. It's practically "taunting", don't you agree?
I don't know but Stanley gives a fist pump after many of his TDs. I wonder if that could be considered taunting or excessive celebration. It was just a really dumb interpretation of the rule by this ref. That's why you never see it called. If Wadley would have looked back and stared down the defender, like the Penn State RB did last year, I'd get it.​

So...you're saying he shouldn't high-step when trying to make a juke/move? Good Lord, they should take away his jump-cut, too, huh?

When that kind of "penalty" becomes subject to "judgment", the game is lost. Think Bama players will ever get called for that? Think O$U players will ever get called for that?
Spin moves are for showboaters. He should just run straight forward 1.5 yards per carry. Sam Brownlee style. That's what Iowa football is all about

I think the call was total BS but there is a difference between high stepping on the way to the end zone than the ISU game when he used it to set up the ISU defender.

I think many of you have never played sports beyond everyone gets a ribbon or coached. Adrenalin rush, combat mode.... His talent is just as much personality as it is physical skill. He didn't stick out a finger, he probably wasn't trash talking and he didn't stop and dive over the goal. It was TWO steps.

Thrilled to death we have a back that is good enough to be that open going towards the goal line.

Personally I'm tired of boring KF football. This was fun to see.

Wow, I thought this thread was sarcastic at first. There are a bunch of real fucking morons on this board. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Wadley did and the refs were total dumbasses all game long.

How does McSorley get away with doing his freaking baseball swing and salute after every td pass? Especially if there's supposed to be an emphasis on it this year?

If Wadley's high step was a penalty, then McSorley should be ejected...his is clearly taunting...

How does McSorley get away with doing his freaking baseball swing and salute after every td pass? Especially if there's supposed to be an emphasis on it this year?

If Wadley's high step was a penalty, then McSorley should be ejected...his is clearly taunting...

You mean high steps. Not high step. There were two of them. He might have gotten away with it if it was only one. It was that second one that was excessive.

You mean high steps. Not high step. There were two of them. He might have gotten away with it if it was only one. It was that second one that was excessive.

Gosh now we are counting steps like we are working on our cholesterol. I think the refs would have perfered that Iowa players were simply falling on their faces instead of breaking away for TD's. I'm pretty sure 1 or all of those refs Pete Rose'd us. They probably all had money on N Tx to cover the spread.

Im from the Barry Sanders, Kirk Ferentz, old school camp....act like youve been there before. Even urban meyer, hand the ball to a ref/hug a big guy mentality. But that penalty is just wrong. He was clearly excited for his accomplishment. You go say a quick word to him or relay to the sideline that next time is a penalty. That is bad for football. Excessive is a penalty, had he taunted someone, throw a flag. Good grief!

I grew up watching walter payton high step when he scored. Every kid imitated his moves in every backyard game for years.

The NFL honors excellence on AND OFF the field with the "walter payton man of the year award."

If it's ok for the namesake of the man of the year award ... I'm ok with our guys doing a little high stepping.

Of course, given the consequences (right or wrong), I doubt we'll see any more high stepping this season.

The rule in and of itself is absolute crap. To penalize a team 15 yards from the spot of an "unsportsmanlike act" (called maybe 1% of the time) and take points off the board, but then allow the touchdown to be upheld and simply tack the 15 yard penalty if it happens after he breaks the end zone is ridiculous. If they truly care about it being "unsportsmanlike" then both instances should be enforced the same way and called consistently.

The officials had enough of a hard time calling the game on Saturday as it was. Why focus on things that are never called and don't impact a game, when they can't seem to get right the things that do.

FYI: Saturday's crew just threw another flag and are reviewing another play as we speak.

The rule is a good one to have....the application of it Saturday was garbage.

I'd be fine with a 15 yard penalty. Taking a TD off the board is insanity. I can't even comprehend how that is possible. You taunt after the TD...15 yards. You high-step on your way to a TD...no TD.

There's a 100% chance we see a team score on us this year where the player does something worse than what Wadley did and it isn't called. I can't wait to see these forums explode once that happens.

I'd be fine with a 15 yard penalty. Taking a TD off the board is insanity. I can't even comprehend how that is possible. You taunt after the TD...15 yards. You high-step on your way to a TD...no TD.

There's a 100% chance we see a team score on us this year where the player does something worse than what Wadley did and it isn't called. I can't wait to see these forums explode once that happens.

This. If it was consistently called I'd be a fan of it, but should rules that are never enforced remain rules. Celebrations are celebrations and they're going to happen. You cannot call something in one instance that is overlooked 99% of the time in other instances by other crews.

As I've said before the biggest problem is the application of the 15 yard penalty. If you want to keep a questionable rule, than make the penalty identical to part of the same rule that is called more frequently and either apply the 15 yard penalty to the kick or nullify the TD and apply the 15 yards universally regardless of when the penalty occurred.

Latest posts