High-Step Showboat Crap

It's a stupid rule. Where is the line drawn? As someone early on in this thread noted, McSorley's home run swing? How about Vandeberg when he catches a pass for a first down and gives the first down signal? Or a DL celebrating after a sack? Or a DB giving the incomplete pass call after breaking up a pass? It's way too subjective, and probably dependent on the age of the official watching it.

For that matter, Wadley didn't even "high step", he did a couple of stutter steps, which I interpreted as him shaking out a potential hamstring injury - it was preventative move, not a celebratory move. See how easy it is to interpret this stupid rule.

Look, the first problem was that you had a conglomerate officiating crew that had never worked together. Second, a handful of the officials were MAC and MVC officials that were probably looking to make a "name" for themselves to get better gigs by showing they knew the rulebook....especially since some of the officials were the same ones that got suspended last year for the Okie State v Cent Michigan untimed down debacle from last year. Finally, it's Iowa....we have the worst luck with officials in the history of college football. The two worst officiated games I've ever seen on any level was the Witvoet game from 2005 against Michigan that ruined our huge home winning streak and the Outback Bowl against Florida...no other game before or since has ever been as poorly officiated from start to finish as those two games.

If the NCAA ref's had been enforcing this rule all along then Wadley would have to take the blame, but this is a penalty This was a strict interpretation of the rule.

They should have been enforcing this rule for the past 5 years. Wadley's high step is very mild compared to some. Ridiculous

It's a stupid rule. Where is the line drawn? As someone early on in this thread noted, McSorley's home run swing? How about Vandeberg when he catches a pass for a first down and gives the first down signal? Or a DL celebrating after a sack? Or a DB giving the incomplete pass call after breaking up a pass? It's way too subjective, and probably dependent on the age of the official watching it.

For that matter, Wadley didn't even "high step", he did a couple of stutter steps, which I interpreted as him shaking out a potential hamstring injury - it was preventative move, not a celebratory move. See how easy it is to interpret this stupid rule.

Who's to say he didn't eat Mexican the night before and things went seriously wrong when he high stepped the diving defender? That would also explain his early trip to the locker room.

Who's to say he didn't eat Mexican the night before and things went seriously wrong when he high stepped the diving defender? That would also explain his early trip to the locker room.
Exactly. And given the quality of some of the Mexican around Iowa City, it's not all that improbable.

Someone explain to me how this TD by Barkley is any different than Wadley's

Uhhh the colors of the Jersey. PSU has put a major scandal behind them and now sit at the table of elites again. The rules are not the same for Lords as they are for the peasants. We really should be used to it by now. It is the same reason the refs never let Iowa basketball beat MSU in the B1G tournament. Even though we have roundly outplayed them several of the last few meetings. We should all prepare for another officiating stink fest in the PSU game. If Iowa manages to control the game at any point, I guarantee you will see the officiating disparity rear it head.

Someone explain to me how this TD by Barkley is any different than Wadley's

It's no different. The officiating crew should be banned. Kirk and Gary should have called time out and fired them all on the spot. Scrounge up a new crew from the Ped Mall to finish.

If Wadley thought he could get penalized for that he wouldn't have done it.

Like myself he has watched football for many years and never seen that called a penatly...
I couldn't agree more. Shouldn't the real question be, why are these douchewad refs calling this in the first place. This isn't the No fun League. If anything, the move was joyous. BTW, worst refs ever! Jim Bain level!

I grew up watching walter payton high step when he scored. Every kid imitated his moves in every backyard game for years.

The NFL honors excellence on AND OFF the field with the "walter payton man of the year award."

If it's ok for the namesake of the man of the year award ... I'm ok with our guys doing a little high stepping.

Of course, given the consequences (right or wrong), I doubt we'll see any more high stepping this season.
I loved walter payton, but his high stepping generally wasnt for celebration. Either way, Walter Payton is the greatest rb of all time, just behind jerry rice as goat in the nfl overall

Point is...Iowa won the game...might be a burr under the saddle of Iowa for the rest of the year...Iowa plays well as a victim and underdog...

Point is...Iowa won the game...might be a burr under the saddle of Iowa for the rest of the year...Iowa plays well as a victim and underdog...

Maybe in 8 and 4 years when we are missing a qb, a rb or some major component. 8-4 this year is 5-4 the rest of the way.

In the Florida State - NC State game, a guy just caught a pass and ran 70 some yards and does a flip crossing the goal line. The guy gets flagged, but the penalty is on the kickoff. TD counts.

In the Florida State - NC State game, a guy just caught a pass and ran 70 some yards and does a flip crossing the goal line. The guy gets flagged, but the penalty is on the kickoff. TD counts.

Did they have to review the play to see exactly where he started his flip? It matters a ton for some stupid reason.