High-Step Showboat Crap

The team we are about to play, Penn State, does a ton of celebration. Barkley and another player windmilled their way off the field after a score. McSorely does his baseball bat thing after every touchdown pass. If you look at it again, it wasn't an overt highstepping...it was just a couple. That's a no call 90% of the time. Honestly, some officials...if it's not overt in your face taunting...why take all the personality out of the game. It's simply hypocritical.

Like my wife being ticketed by a highway patrolman following an illegal exit on the interstate ..."Someone needs to change that law. Has anyone looked into it? It is stupid."

Honey...just don't do it...

Well there are some really stupid laws that need to be changed. But this is more like going 1 mile over the speed limit and getting a 100 dollar fine. I'm guessing you would be pretty surprised and annoyed if it happened to you. Your wife would just say "honey... just don't do it..."

If any player, from any team, did what AW did and got called unsportsmanlike for it, i would feel the same. It was a horseshite call.

This was Not neon Dion, with the the hand behind the head, ball held out, looking back at opponent. If it was, I'd be fine with the call.

It was a ref way out of his depth, clearly.

common sense and eyes tell you this was far from taunting, which was the entire reason for the new rule. Folks don't seem to handle the "grey" very well anymore, everything must be a zero sum scenario now.

Yeah so.. huck... I must not be stupid i guess... because I can see about 90% of the posters agree with me.

Or we are just all stupid.

Im from the Barry Sanders, Kirk Ferentz, old school camp....act like youve been there before. Even urban meyer, hand the ball to a ref/hug a big guy mentality. But that penalty is just wrong. He was clearly excited for his accomplishment. You go say a quick word to him or relay to the sideline that next time is a penalty. That is bad for football. Excessive is a penalty, had he taunted someone, throw a flag. Good grief!

So we are told over and over again that they are students and it is a game, yet the slightest bit of fun is hated on.

If you hold that against wadley then you are wrong.
AJ Eppy learned yesterday that you can't tackle the QB. Ragumba leatned you can't run after a receiver, and Wadley learned you can't have fun playing a game. It's all business, but you don't get paid.

Has not Wadley done the high step before? I remember him doing this a few times, perhaps not quite as out in the open but certainly open. No penalty then. Personally I have never seen a penalty called for this ever. Knowing that he wasn't called for it in the past
Yes Wadley even did it just before he got tackled in the Wyoming game. The announcer said he loved the way he finished the run. It used to be considered an actual football move in order to not be tripped up from behind.

It absolutely represents a "type of behavior." High stepping was noted as a type of banned over-celebration when they made the ban 20 some years ago. Regardless, it's a subjective call by the refs--why give them any reason. Every time Wadley does that crap I cringe because I know this can happen. Just act like you've been there before, go back to the sidelines and celebrate with your teammates. It's real easy. Our "look at me" culture that you seem to agree with is the reason for this stupid crap...Wadley also needs to cut out the stupid slapping money thing after touchdowns--selfish and stupid.

While I see your point, I am very tired of watching emotionless Iowa teams get crushed by teams that have fire. I will take a celebration penalty on every score. That is something special teams will just have to overcome lol. I will say though that the celebrations need to be reserved until the TD is banked. No more dancing over the goal line on break away scores, but let's not scorn the young man for a mistake. To call him selfish or a showboat is facetious and uncalled for. The young man puts the team on his back week in and week out and people call him names. Disgraceful high horses some Iowa fans watch games from.

Hell, I'm gonna chime in on this again to take it one step further.

It shouldn't have been a penalty and shouldn't be something people get upset about, I said that already.

But also, the fact that KF held him out for that, and then said something negative about it in his pc (I didn't hear / read what he said so just going by what's been said in this thread) is NOT a confirmation of AW's fault. It's a confirmation of one of KF's faults- the lack of emotion from the team that I and others have commented on. He should have gone up to him after the play and said "don't worry about it- nice play!" and then during the week casually mention the whole "wait til you score" thing.

The team we are about to play, Penn State, does a ton of celebration. Barkley and another player windmilled their way off the field after a score. McSorely does his baseball bat thing after every touchdown pass. If you look at it again, it wasn't an overt highstepping...it was just a couple. That's a no call 90% of the time. Honestly, some officials...if it's not overt in your face taunting...why take all the personality out of the game. It's simply hypocritical.
You're wrong. It's a no call 99.99999 % of the time. Citizens arrest!

I was at the game, and Kinnick exploded with, initially disbelief, then outrage. Everyone around me was screaming at the refs, then the Boos started and continued throughout the entire game. Worst officiating I have ever seen, bar none. Bush league fools who would have no business officiating a high school football game were on the field Saturday.....

The continuity of the football game was seriously altered the entire game for both teams. The ancient adage about power corrupting those who wield it was demonstrated absolutely yesterday at Kinnick. Those lame idiots should not be permitted to officiate another football game this season. Give them time to ponder their incompetence.....

Excellent article by David Schwartz. Hits the nail right on the head......

nail-on-the-head.png

The referees can completely take control of a game with endless penalties called one after another. In basketball we see this with a constant parade to the free throw line, destroying the continuity of the game. This has become worse with each and every season.....

Who is going to officiate the officials. Public outcry will only do so much. Those in charge at the NCAA must address this situation......

Last edited:
Let's put this into perspective.... AW took 2-3 longer steps than he normally takes while running. Running for a touchdown IN A GAME. Games are meant to be FUN. Especially when these players aren't getting paid. Let the guys have some fun. If the celebration is directly offensive (like Moss' pulling down his pants) then maybe flag it. However, I am of the mentally that of you don't want the other team to score Or celebrate, then don't let them into the endzone.

Same goes against us. If you score and want to celebrate, go for it. You earned it

Latest posts