Higdon flipped to Michigan

Once Michigan came into play, did you really think we had a chance? That's a pro football coach with a brother still coaching in the pros, at a traditional school, with better football fans, and a better football environment. I honestly would have been shocked if he stayed.

This post indicates you might be part of the problem. If Michigan is so great, why be a Hawkeye fan? Seriously. You seem so miserable, yet you are constantly posting here. Why put yourself through it?

Pathetic recruiting class by captain clueless. Get used to the BIG basements, boys and girls. We'll be there for the next 4 or 5 years. At least.

Worthless Punk? You're an idiot for calling out a HS kid for making a decision other than Iowa.

Worthless Human is too kind for your BS.

I love the moral irony of this post...

For some reason I've never gotten into getting too up and down when it comes to football recruits.

Is it possible that back in the 80's you could quietly go to NY and get a Ronnie Harmon and most other programs would never know about it.

Now the brand programs can query the data in 10 seconds...who are the highest rated players recruited by the 'lesser brands' ? and go after them....and swipe them away.

"Worthless punks" don't chase the brightest opportunity available to them. Higdon did.

I think many people are upset for multiple reasons. Not saying I agree with them but this is what i see as reason some people are mad. 1 him being a serious home run threat which Iowa hasn't recruited in a long time and he got away. 2 some believe he wanted to flip earlier and held out until NSD and it hurt Iowa from getting another highend RB commit. 3 Karan was tweeting back and forth with other Iowa commits as recent as Monday night talking about going to the spring together.

I dont get excited until they sign the paper and fax it in and then, like shonn greene, I dont get excited about recruits and recruiting until I see them play. Just crazy how people put so much time following recruiting.

I used to love being at kinnick during the early game blowouts to see the new kids play but now we cant even get a blowout.

I haven't seen this, but JDM claimed it in his recent podcast: "Higdon was a 3 star when verballed to Iowa, after committing to UM he immediately was listed as a 4 star" LOL

I haven't seen this, but JDM claimed it in his recent podcast: "Higdon was a 3 star when verballed to Iowa, after committing to UM he immediately was listed as a 4 star" LOL

It depends on the service. Rivals has him as a 3* and 247 a 4*

Wow. It is too bad that "handlers" have this much influence with kids. I mean it barely seems like this is Hidgon's decision at all, but rather he gets pushed, pulled and prodded into Michigan......from not even wanting to visit, to being still committed to Iowa after the visit.

Pretty shady stuff here: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/karan-higdon-commitment-story

That was a great read, and unusually detailed. Assuming it's true, I saw nothing "shady" at all, just what nearly every football coach in the country goes through with kids being recruited. And if you think Butch Wade didn't push Michigan a bit, you're nuts. Interesting that his mom didn't even know.

Couldn't help noticing that some of this just doesn't fit the narrative here on Iowa recruiting: "Iowa entered the picture and did everything right. Coach Chris White and Kirk Ferentz were first rate the whole way through. In fact Chris, stayed through the heat of a pair of our practices and watched Karan. That is not usual practice as most coaches don't hang around August and September practices in our 90+ degree weather. Karan would take an official to Iowa and fell in love with the blue collar style and the people. Everything with Iowa was genuine. Karan virtually shut down his recruitment at that juncture. He had interest from many bigger schools but offers from Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, USF, Arizona, Duke, South Carolina and of course Iowa."

Obviously, we didn't close the sale. But some people forget the recruits we've flipped to Iowa last-minute.

I don't know. That assistant coach sure sounds like he probably roots for the maize and blue. They were very careful to praise Iowa's efforts and program, but in the end he steered him to Michigan over Iowa. I would be curious to know if he's a UM donor/booster.

That was a great read, and unusually detailed. Assuming it's true, I saw nothing "shady" at all, just what nearly every football coach in the country goes through with kids being recruited. And if you think Butch Wade didn't push Michigan a bit, you're nuts. Interesting that his mom didn't even know.

Couldn't help noticing that some of this just doesn't fit the narrative here on Iowa recruiting: "Iowa entered the picture and did everything right. Coach Chris White and Kirk Ferentz were first rate the whole way through. In fact Chris, stayed through the heat of a pair of our practices and watched Karan. That is not usual practice as most coaches don't hang around August and September practices in our 90+ degree weather. Karan would take an official to Iowa and fell in love with the blue collar style and the people. Everything with Iowa was genuine. Karan virtually shut down his recruitment at that juncture. He had interest from many bigger schools but offers from Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, USF, Arizona, Duke, South Carolina and of course Iowa."

Obviously, we didn't close the sale. But some people forget the recruits we've flipped to Iowa last-minute.

Agree with this. I liked reading the part where KF was understandably mad while on the phone.

I wouldn't have cared so much but to change his plans the night before he was supposed to sign the LOI. After making it sound like he was all in on Iowa. The handler saying, "I could say anything bad about Iowa." Well he did say much good either. Just another reason not to follow recruiting. Maybe he had to wait until the check cleared.

I think it was one of those Moody Blues "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour" moments for Higdon. Michigan pulled out a shinny trinket and Harbaugh
dangled it in his eyes.

Interesting article.. If that's how it went down I don't have a problem with it. It just sucks being on this end of it with a player that would have been a difference maker and hell of a player. So long as this guy who wrote that is telling the truth about his role and I have no reason to think he isn't it's just a kid making a decision to change his mind. Not the first time sure won't be the last.

Interesting article.. If that's how it went down I don't have a problem with it. It just sucks being on this end of it with a player that would have been a difference maker and hell of a player. So long as this guy who wrote that is telling the truth about his role and I have no reason to think he isn't it's just a kid making a decision to change his mind. Not the first time sure won't be the last.

Keep reading down that thread. My first reaction was like yours, but the Sparty fan had some pretty good rebuttal of the assistant coach/Michigan fan. The coach pretty much tailored his account to make it appear he wasn't tampering, but he sure did bend over backwards to get this kid to UM.
Getting him wasn't going to turn things around, but losing him makes it all the more unlikely.
(His name always reminds me if the legendary Higby, so it's probably better this way)

Last edited:
Keep reading down that thread. My first reaction was like yours, but the Sparty fan had some pretty good rebuttal of the assistant coach/Michigan fan. The coach pretty much tailored his account to make it appear he wasn't tampering, but he sure did bend over backwards to get this kid to UM.
Getting him wasn't going to turn things around, but losing him makes it all the more unlikely.
(His name always reminds me if the legendary Higby, so it's probably better this way)

The flip never happens without without this guy involved. It was Higdon's decision, and he has to do what is right for him. Yet out of Higdon's own mouth he said the visit to Michigan was set up behind his back. He told Harbaugh thanks for the offer, but no. The visit was then set up anyway, without Higdon's knowledge. Then they convinced him to go on that visit that they had set up, and we all know what happened from there.

Latest posts