Here is some spin for ya.

Well to be honest his post didn’t make a whole lot of sense. You said our offense was doing decent and or defense sucked and he replied by saying our PG was one dimensional on offense. He then proceeded to say that the supporting cast around our PG wasn’t giving him much help either.

I’m all for getting another guard, but that is primarily to help with our defense over anything.

To answer your question. Absolutely JBo has taken some horrendous shots this year and that’s usually when he was getting pressure.

About Cook. He is putting up monster numbers because he is very good. He is at the top of every team’s scouting report when they play us. Crean said he was at the top of their scouting report when they played Iowa last year even with Jok. I don’t think he is benefiting much from JBo right now.

As I said at the beginning of the year, you’re never going to want JBo to be your second option for scoring. As both of you have accurately stated he’s one dimensional on offense, and that’s why you want him as a third or maybe even fourth option. Unfortunately with Moss’s struggles early in the year JBo had to try and do more than he really could.
Might be part of the reason why he's unemployed... If you were prioritizing defending Cook last yr over Jok you'd have to be an idiot. Jok was putting 20 plus on the board pretty much every game. Cook had some good games here and there but similarly to this year he also has some games under 10 and didn't have much of an impact. Jok even when he wasn't scoring had a bigger impact on games then we realized too. I think JBo of all people would tell you that. How many of JBos assists last yr went to him? How many open shots JBo got were related to defenses focusing on Jok and the ball getting swung around to him.
I think Cook is a lot better than last yr and we are going to him considerably more which is great. That said he's not even close to a finished product yet. With his physical abilities he outta be able to just dominate both ends of the floor. Maybe he'll get to that point.

Might be part of the reason why he's unemployed... If you were prioritizing defending Cook last yr over Jok you'd have to be an idiot. Jok was putting 20 plus on the board pretty much every game. Cook had some good games here and there but similarly to this year he also has some games under 10 and didn't have much of an impact. Jok even when he wasn't scoring had a bigger impact on games then we realized too. I think JBo of all people would tell you that. How many of JBos assists last yr went to him? How many open shots JBo got were related to defenses focusing on Jok and the ball getting swung around to him.
I think Cook is a lot better than last yr and we are going to him considerably more which is great. That said he's not even close to a finished product yet. With his physical abilities he outta be able to just dominate both ends of the floor. Maybe he'll get to that point.
You make some fair points but Crean was talking about preparation for the B1G tourney game and they absolutely blew the doors off Iowa in that one, so maybe the strategy worked.

Literally any PG would work. With this team it's not about driving the lane it's about drawing defenders. When Bohannon has a shot he's deadly, when someone gets remotely near being in his face he turtles up like an 8th grader. And to make things worse, when he does feel the heat coming on he launches some of the dumbest shots you'll see in NCAA basketball. I'm sorry to the J-Bo fan boys out there but the kid is entirely one-dimensional. He can drain wide open NBA threes all night, but the reason he's not getting those looks anymore is because coaches know there's no threat up top and they can play right up on him with no risk. They know he isn't driving and there's no Jok to worry about or anyone down low who's a real threat. Watch him get defended and you can see guys smell blood in the water.

Pretty garbage assessment of JBo. Maybe your understanding of basketball is one dimensional. Does his first step need work? Sure it does. Does he posses natural instincts for driving and finishing? Nope. None of those offensive deficiencies equal "one dimensional". Perhaps you missed in OT when JBo crossed over a very good Illinois defender and side pro hopped into an open 3 point look and drained it. That is 3 dimensional right there. JBo needs to continue to build confidence and gain experience, but that was a glimpse of his potential. I have also noticed JBo is clearly working on his lane floater. If he can see a couple more of those go down and gain some confidence from it, then he becomes about as dangerous offensively as any PG in Iowa history.

I think people are confusing being happy with 6th place and being happy that we are put in a position where we are forced to be happy with 6rh place. I would be ecstatic if we finished in 6th place and am pissed as hell that this season put me in that situation.

Pretty garbage assessment of JBo. Maybe your understanding of basketball is one dimensional. Does his first step need work? Sure it does. Does he posses natural instincts for driving and finishing? Nope. None of those offensive deficiencies equal "one dimensional". Perhaps you missed in OT when JBo crossed over a very good Illinois defender and side pro hopped into an open 3 point look and drained it. That is 3 dimensional right there. JBo needs to continue to build confidence and gain experience, but that was a glimpse of his potential. I have also noticed JBo is clearly working on his lane floater. If he can see a couple more of those go down and gain some confidence from it, then he becomes about as dangerous offensively as any PG in Iowa history.

When Bohannon is playing with confidence, he isn't even close to being a one dimensional player. He was driving the lane, shooting pull up 2s, and training 3s last game. If he played like that regularly, people wouldn't care so much about his defense.

You must have missed the “...sorry to the J-Bo fan boys out there...” part.

If the only dangerous part of your game is open look threes, that’s one dimensional. Especially at D-1 level ball.

All the stuff you mentioned him not having yet and needing to work on, and how he has potential, I don’t disagree. When/if he develops that...then he’ll be “three dimensional.”

In regards to JBo. His defensive issues are the beginning of our overall poor team defense, He will never be a PG that can guard a quick, fast PG. And that will lead to a bunch of issues. As we have seen this year.
I would rather have a quick, fast PG that didnt score much but could be an elite defender, than a PG that can make a 3.

JBo is a great shooter and has ice in his veins. But that only goes so far.

You must have missed the “...sorry to the J-Bo fan boys out there...” part.

If the only dangerous part of your game is open look threes, that’s one dimensional. Especially at D-1 level ball.

All the stuff you mentioned him not having yet and needing to work on, and how he has potential, I don’t disagree. When/if he develops that...then he’ll be “three dimensional.”

There are many dimensions to a ball handler's game. It's like an onion. There are layers upon layers. JBo is already producing at a B1G level in several of them. He has shown flashes of even more. Of course he needs to work on consistency of deployment of these skills. He is already a 3 dimensional player. Your main point is correct though. He needs to be operating at about 6 or 7 dimensions to be an Elite PG. He is not there yet.

All in all the kids scoring capabilities are already high. As you admit every defense is game planning for him and guarding him from half court. This is a testament to that scoring skill. IMO JBo's biggest area to improve offensively is vision in the lane. Beat your man off the dribble and penetrate, but then what? He doesn't have rare finishing instinct. This is not something that anyone is ever likely to "develop". But seeing open bigs in the paint as a defense helps is the key to next level. It is a skill that someone can develop. It is a skill that he needs to develop.

There are many dimensions to a ball handler's game. It's like an onion. There are layers upon layers. JBo is already producing at a B1G level in several of them. He has shown flashes of even more. Of course he needs to work on consistency of deployment of these skills. He is already a 3 dimensional player. Your main point is correct though. He needs to be operating at about 6 or 7 dimensions to be an Elite PG. He is not there yet.

All in all the kids scoring capabilities are already high. As you admit every defense is game planning for him and guarding him from half court. This is a testament to that scoring skill. IMO JBo's biggest area to improve offensively is vision in the lane. Beat your man off the dribble and penetrate, but then what? He doesn't have rare finishing instinct. This is not something that anyone is ever likely to "develop". But seeing open bigs in the paint as a defense helps is the key to next level. It is a skill that someone can develop. It is a skill that he needs to develop.

He has had a couple pretty impressive passes to Cook for dunks after he got past his man in the lane. 2 is not near enough, especially since I'm pretty sure one was last year. But he has done it twice and since he rarely even gets into the lane, that's not too bad.

In regards to JBo. His defensive issues are the beginning of our overall poor team defense, He will never be a PG that can guard a quick, fast PG. And that will lead to a bunch of issues. As we have seen this year.
I would rather have a quick, fast PG that didnt score much but could be an elite defender, than a PG that can make a 3.

JBo is a great shooter and has ice in his veins. But that only goes so far.

I agree I don't care if a PG scores alot. I would perfer a furious defender and sufficient ball handler. A PG that gives you assists but not many points is fine.

I disagree strongly that any player at Iowa is to "slow" to defend adequately. This is simply a false hood. At this level of basketball good fundamentals can easily overcome speed disparities. Most of this team seems to lack these fundamentals. So I'm putting that on Fran and staff. I don't believe at all that it is a JBo problem. The only thing JBo is lacking that can't be taught is size and length. Even if he stays on the hip of a driving guard he is limited by length to alter shots or layups.

He has had a couple pretty impressive passes to Cook for dunks after he got past his man in the lane. 2 is not near enough, especially since I'm pretty sure one was last year. But he has done it twice and since he rarely even gets into the lane, that's not too bad.

Ya those fall under the "shown flashes" category. He is capable to do it more. Just needs to have the confidence and experience to deploy these skills effectively and at the right times. I definitely don't want to see him force his game in this area. It could be disastrous. My opinion is these are skills that will be pretty polished by Senior year.

I agree I don't care if a PG scores alot. I would perfer a furious defender and sufficient ball handler. A PG that gives you assists but not many points is fine.

I disagree strongly that any player at Iowa is to "slow" to defend adequately. This is simply a false hood. At this level of basketball good fundamentals can easily overcome speed disparities. Most of this team seems to lack these fundamentals. So I'm putting that on Fran and staff. I don't believe at all that it is a JBo problem. The only thing JBo is lacking that can't be taught is size and length. Even if he stays on the hip of a driving guard he is limited by length to alter shots or layups.

You're pretty much saying here you'd rather have a player like Mike than Jordan and I couldn't agree more.

Latest posts