Here is some spin for ya.

You're pretty much saying here you'd rather have a player like Mike than Jordan and I couldn't agree more.

If we still had Mike yes. I would have him playing PG. I would absolutely have JBo playing the 2 guard next to him though.

If we still had Mike yes. I would have him playing PG. I would absolutely have JBo playing the 2 guard next to him though.

The problem with Bohannon at the 2 is his defense isn't masked at all. And since his offense isn't the problem, I'm not sure that helps us much. It's pretty much trading Mike for Moss.

I agree I don't care if a PG scores alot. I would perfer a furious defender and sufficient ball handler. A PG that gives you assists but not many points is fine.

I disagree strongly that any player at Iowa is to "slow" to defend adequately. This is simply a false hood. At this level of basketball good fundamentals can easily overcome speed disparities. Most of this team seems to lack these fundamentals. So I'm putting that on Fran and staff. I don't believe at all that it is a JBo problem. The only thing JBo is lacking that can't be taught is size and length. Even if he stays on the hip of a driving guard he is limited by length to alter shots or layups.

I've see plenty of players with Bohannon's quickness play good defense. They normally wear Wisconsin uniforms.

I agree Mike was a better point guard than Jordan has been to this point in his career.

Well I will say this Mike was a better finished product then JBo is at PG right now as a Sophomore. Mike's first year and a half might not be better than JBo's though. I also expect that JBo will end up as a better finished product than Mike. Maybe not defensively but all around offense I am confident.

P.S. Sapp was the best defensive guard that we have had under Fran.

I do wonder if this team would be better with that trade or not. Does it help to lose Bohannon's offense just to have one good defender out of five? Would our offense take a big dip without Bohannon out there? Would our defense get a lot better without Bohannon out there? I honestly don't know the answer to those questions.

I do wonder if this team would be better with that trade or not. Does it help to lose Bohannon's offense just to have one good defender out of five? Would our offense take a big dip without Bohannon out there? Would our defense get a lot better without Bohannon out there? I honestly don't know the answer to those questions.

Anyone who claims to know that is probably wrong anyways. Even if JBo wasn't our PG though he would be the starting SG so the point is moot.

Unfortunately "The Book" on Iowa BB and FB is clearly defined and easy to execute...and works well...

BB...attack, constantly, the PG position.

FB...make Iowa beat you passing...they won't, probably won't even try much.

Repeat as needed...

Yeah.

What about when they blow right by Moss and the interior defense gives up a layup? What about when they still blow by Mike (admittedly not as often as they do with Bohannon) and there is no Woody to help? I do agree it would be better. But we don't agree how much better. How much worse do you think the offense would be?

What about when they blow right by Moss and the interior defense gives up a layup? What about when they still blow by Mike (admittedly not as often as they do with Bohannon) and there is no Woody to help? I do agree it would be better. But we don't agree how much better. How much worse do you think the offense would be?

Moss has been bad on defense but nobody has been near as bad as Jordan this year by going off advanced statistics and even just the eye test. Like others have said if we could trade out Mike for Jordan on this team we would be better off.

Moss has been bad on defense but nobody has been near as bad as Jordan this year by going off advanced statistics and even just the eye test. Like others have said if we could trade out Mike for Jordan on this team we would be better off.

What about the offense? Bohannon drags his man out to the 3 point line. Gesell's man sagged to the free throw line.

Just curious, so you don't believe in PER anymore? Because Bohannon's career PER (15.4) is better than Gesell's career PER (14.5). I guess if you look at defensive ratings only (Bohannon 110.6 vs Gesell 100.5), then that would be the case. But Bohannon's offensive rating (115.0 vs 104.6) makes him much better than Gesell ever was on the offensive end, and it's not really close.

The assists per 100 possessions (Bohannon 9.4 vs Gesell 9.5) isn't really the difference maker either.

Unfortunately "The Book" on Iowa BB and FB is clearly defined and easy to execute...and works well...

BB...attack, constantly, the PG position.

FB...make Iowa beat you passing...they won't, probably won't even try much.

Repeat as needed...

Sounds simple but is obviously easier said then done. In football at least. And actually the book on Iowa basketball is swing the ball and wait for Iowa to make a terrible rotation. Teams only need to drive if they aren't making open jumpers. Or in transition just because it's fun.

If we win tonight and Ohio State beats Northwestern, we will be tied for 11th! Only one spot away from a first round bye in the Big 10 tourney!

If we win tonight and Ohio State beats Northwestern, we will be tied for 11th! Only one spot away from a first round bye in the Big 10 tourney!

Spin! Spin!

giphy.gif

I agree I don't care if a PG scores alot. I would perfer a furious defender and sufficient ball handler. A PG that gives you assists but not many points is fine.

I disagree strongly that any player at Iowa is to "slow" to defend adequately. This is simply a false hood. At this level of basketball good fundamentals can easily overcome speed disparities. Most of this team seems to lack these fundamentals. So I'm putting that on Fran and staff. I don't believe at all that it is a JBo problem. The only thing JBo is lacking that can't be taught is size and length. Even if he stays on the hip of a driving guard he is limited by length to alter shots or layups.
Sounds as though you prefer the MG/Clemmons type of PG. I think having pass first run the offense type of PGs is fine too. So long as they can hit 3s when left open. You have to be able to burn teams that sag off you and give you open jumpers which MG struggled with Clemmons too. They had moments here and there but by no means consistent at hitting jumpers. It's a give and take deal for sure. Offensively MG could do pretty much everything except that. He was much more willing to go to the hole (and occasionally get stuffed) but he drew more fouls and hit a lot of free throws if I remember right.
There's no fixing JBos defensive issues he is who he is. He might get a tad quicker/faster through training and working on his legs but not a ton more in regards to who he's going up against night in and out. So Fran has to strategize around that. Make JBo a gambler have him anticipate passing lanes and maybe that'll pay off now and then. I dunno but what's going on isn't working very well to say the least. Rotations have to be better regardless of if it's JBos man or someone elses.

Latest posts