Here is some spin for ya.

PCHawk

If Illinois beats Nebraska, Purdue beats Wisconsin, and we beat Rutgers Wednesday, we will be one game out of a tie for 6th place. Of course if we lose Wednesday we will be tied for last.

Can’t believe we are discussing this. Sixth place??????? The cyclones had invaded Iowa City!!! This should be on the football side of things since it sounds like something Kirk supporters would throw out there.

PC please tell me your just joking around?

Can’t believe we are discussing this. Sixth place??????? The cyclones had invaded Iowa City!!! This should be on the football side of things since it sounds like something Kirk supporters would throw out there.

He is joking around - he said in the topic "here's some spin for ya" ...But Nebraska beat IL - so it's moot. But all jokes aside, it would be kind of funny if Iowa were tied for 6th place after Wednesday would it not? The B1G is so top heavy - one of these bottom 6 teams are going to step up and place pretty well. My guess is Northwestern.

Are you telling me you wouldn't sign up for 6th place right now?

KoxZirquiGBCvbl-1600x900-noPad.jpg

Are you telling me you wouldn't sign up for 6th place right now?

Lol, ok from that angle you have a point. The old motto “it’s time to get mad again” has changed to licks old motto “it’s time to get sad again”.

All joking aside it could amaze people what one quality point guard could do for this team. Garza and Cook are a serious foundation to build upon.

He is joking around - he said in the topic "here's some spin for ya" ...But Nebraska beat IL - so it's moot. But all jokes aside, it would be kind of funny if Iowa were tied for 6th place after Wednesday would it not? The B1G is so top heavy - one of these bottom 6 teams are going to step up and place pretty well. My guess is Northwestern.

I know he was just joking around. I was joking around back at him. Hey I had to poke a little fun at the orphans in Ames.

Lol, ok from that angle you have a point. The old motto “it’s time to get mad again” has changed to licks old motto “it’s time to get sad again”.

All joking aside it could amaze people what one quality point guard could do for this team. Garza and Cook are a serious foundation to build upon.

It would amaze people more what having a functional defense would do for this team. If Iowa could play even average defense, they could throw pre-wolf Scott Howard out there at PG and still win a lot of games.

A lot of people point to having a PG as the answer, yet Iowa's offensive efficiency rating currently is 42nd in the nation.

Defense efficiency on the other hand is 192nd. About the same as last year.

It would amaze people more what having a functional defense would do for this team. If Iowa could play even average defense, they could throw pre-wolf Scott Howard out there at PG and still win a lot of games.

A lot of people point to having a PG as the answer, yet Iowa's offensive efficiency rating currently is 42nd in the nation.

Exactly! People regurgitate the need for a "true" PG even though Jordan's #'s are better then last season offensively and Iowa is scoring at will...even without a super quick, penetrating PG. How's that? The defense is problem 1a and problem 1b and probably problem 1c. A "true" PG is a basically non existent in college basketball. Could Iowa have a better one? Of course but most PG's that get any accolades are scoring PG's, that's not a "true" PG. Most of them are combo guards playing the point. A true PG is John Stockton. He'd average 7 to 8 assists in the current climate and score under 8 pts a game and get RAILED by this fan base.

Is 6th better than last? It is in the BIG so I'd take it. Is it something to brag about? Well duh of course not. But neither is being in last place so now that we are in the cellar this is us starting to dig out.

Is 6th better than last? It is in the BIG so I'd take it. Is it something to brag about? Well duh of course not. But neither is being in last place so now that we are in the cellar this is us starting to dig out.

We will have to settle for a tie for 7th now because of that buzzer beater. The good news is if we lose, we still won't be in last.

We will have to settle for a tie for 7th now because of that buzzer beater. The good news is if we lose, we still won't be in last.
It'd sure be nice to have some positivity coming down the stretch here. Good thing is there's a long ways to go till March yet for that to happen. I'm not terribly optimistic but hey I want to root for em and see some good things happen so next yr they can hit the ground running

the defensive issues are tied to slow-footed guards. our first line of defense of the lane is wide open.

If its spin you want...its spin you get...

Iowa's path back to a .500 Big Ten record:

@ Rutgers W (Iowa will be slight underdogs, but this is a winnable game)
Purdue L (Iowa will not win this game)
Wisconsin W (realtimerpi currently says Iowa wins this game by 11. That seems ridiculous, but this is a winnable game)
@ Nebraska W (This is a very likely loss. Nebraska is playing well especially at home. Need a miracle)
Minnesota W (Minnesota is on the verge of imploding after the Reggie Lynch thing.)
@ Penn State W (Revenge game)

Iowa is suddenly 6-6 in the Big Ten

edit - I don't believe for a second any of this will happen, but its not impossible.

PS - Don't glance at Iowa's schedule after the Penn State game. It will not be pretty.

If its spin you want...its spin you get...

Iowa's path back to a .500 Big Ten record:

@ Rutgers W (Iowa will be slight underdogs, but this is a winnable game)
Purdue L (Iowa will not win this game)
Wisconsin W (realtimerpi currently says Iowa wins this game by 11. That seems ridiculous, but this is a winnable game)
@ Nebraska W (This is a very likely loss. Nebraska is playing well especially at home. Need a miracle)
Minnesota W (Minnesota is on the verge of imploding after the Reggie Lynch thing.)
@ Penn State W (Revenge game)

Iowa is suddenly 6-6 in the Big Ten

edit - I don't believe for a second any of this will happen, but its not impossible.

PS - Don't glance at Iowa's schedule after the Penn State game. It will not be pretty.

Wins bring confidence. Confidence brings effort. With effort comes average defense. With average defense we have a chance against Purdue. Now that's spin.

Exactly! People regurgitate the need for a "true" PG even though Jordan's #'s are better then last season offensively and Iowa is scoring at will...even without a super quick, penetrating PG. How's that? The defense is problem 1a and problem 1b and probably problem 1c. A "true" PG is a basically non existent in college basketball. Could Iowa have a better one? Of course but most PG's that get any accolades are scoring PG's, that's not a "true" PG. Most of them are combo guards playing the point. A true PG is John Stockton. He'd average 7 to 8 assists in the current climate and score under 8 pts a game and get RAILED by this fan base.

There you go again...making "Good" sense!

Literally any PG would work. With this team it's not about driving the lane it's about drawing defenders. When Bohannon has a shot he's deadly, when someone gets remotely near being in his face he turtles up like an 8th grader. And to make things worse, when he does feel the heat coming on he launches some of the dumbest shots you'll see in NCAA basketball. I'm sorry to the J-Bo fan boys out there but the kid is entirely one-dimensional. He can drain wide open NBA threes all night, but the reason he's not getting those looks anymore is because coaches know there's no threat up top and they can play right up on him with no risk. They know he isn't driving and there's no Jok to worry about or anyone down low who's a real threat. Watch him get defended and you can see guys smell blood in the water.

Latest posts