Heat Directed at JVB

Suppose you are right and JR isn't ready. What between now and next fall is going to get him ready. He has been in the system two years so I don't believe it is a question of more practice time.

I personally would take whatever results JR could deliver if it gives us a better chance next year. A 6-6, 5-7 or even 7-6 season this year only to start over at square one next year is simply not worth it.

It's entirely possible Rudock/Sokol/Beathard aren't ready. Brad Banks wasn't in 2001, Stanzi and Arvell Nelson weren't in 2007.

So, why not let Weinke get a few series here and/or there. He's been in the program the same length of time as JVB, and presumably, his wearing a headset on the sideline means he's in the loop, QB-wise. So let him take a couple series, come out and say to JVB, "Their LBs tend right, the DBs are susceptible to a pump-fake, the DTs are thugs", or whatever else he might see. At worst, we get a 5th-year senior who is as team-first as JVB.

I agree, I've said this over and over. 99% know that Vandy is out there doing the best he can. He just isn't cutting it. Not even close. But only an idiot has anything against him personally.

The blame is all on Ferentz. Either he is keeping a better player on the bench, or if the backups are truly that much worse, then Ferentz has failed to do his job of recruiting players that can play at this level. Either way he has done a pretty lousy job lately and deserves the heat.

<<The blame is all on Ferentz>>

Uh, the decision to continue with JVB is. JVBs play, and the play of the OL, receivers and Defense last night is not.

That said, last night was grim, grim as hel&. Any more of that, coupled with the injuries, and 4-8 is not only possible, it's probable.

I agree, I've said this over and over. 99% know that Vandy is out there doing the best he can. He just isn't cutting it. Not even close. But only an idiot has anything against him personally.

The blame is all on Ferentz. Either he is keeping a better player on the bench, or if the backups are truly that much worse, then Ferentz has failed to do his job of recruiting players that can play at this level. Either way he has done a pretty lousy job lately and deserves the heat.

With regard to recruiting, when JVB and Weinke signed, the whole of Hawkeye fandom raved. JVB, local-boy-made-good, was revered, and after OSU/2009, some said he should replace Stanzi. Weinke was a guy who was going to Michigan until Lloyd Carr "retired".

I don't believe it when it is said our backup QB isn't ready.....look at last year. A J Derby was #2, and the staff felt confident enough to move him to LB because they had sufficient talent (Rudock) for the future. Weinke also sees the writing on the wall that he is not gonna over take JVB or Rudock, so he finds another position to contribute at.
So Rudock or Sokol must be prepared, ready, good enough to push these other backups out of the position, and one to another team.
It is because of this that I don't believe Rudock isn't ready. Must be something else. Ferentz is too stubborn and loyal to the invested Iowa boy.
If we are not careful, Jake will go back to a Florida school and become successful.

The personnel decisions are questionable. He finally gave Nico a chance last night. Look how long it took them to get Cotton opportunities to be involved, and look at the quick results. Then look at how many TBs had to be eliminated before Weisman got a chance.

<<Then look at how many TBs had to be eliminated...>>

Quick, list the numerous schools that wanted Weisman as a TB. Second, tell us where Weisman EVER played TB beyond the 9th grade.

Not even Air Force tried him at TB/RB, and running the ball is all Air Force does.

KF motto:
When life hands you lemons, you don't let anyone touch those lemons but JVB and everybody drinks water.

JM you are correct, it is not JVB's fault...he is giving us his best given the play calling that is given to him. GD is not sufficiently using his skills to his best advantage nor building his confidence with some quick hit completions. Yes JVB has thrown erratic all season, but by the time in the game that he needs to be throwing well, his confidence seems shot. I think that KF is afraid of creating a controversy at the risk of taking away his confidence (and thus the team's confidence) in JVB as a leader. The other guys may appear immature to actually "lead" in practice and behind the scenes, but he needs/needed to get some reps to these backups for the just in case scenario that JVB does go down. Why wait until then, and if JVB is so much better than the others, why leave him so exposed in a blowout. I blame KF on this one first, and GD second.

It is starting to feel like a bad trend...like we don't want to put on the appearance that winning does matter. I'm not so sure what the answers are, but I'm thinking less of GD and his abilities to adapt to given talent. I'm thinking less in KF's abilities to experiment, if for nothing else than to prevent injury to your perceived #1.

As I mentioned last night, the Greg Davis Experiment has run its course. It's time to flush him.

KF is obviously loyal. To a fault.

<<The blame is all on Ferentz>>

Uh, the decision to continue with JVB is. JVBs play, and the play of the OL, receivers and Defense last night is not.

That said, last night was grim, grim as hel&. Any more of that, coupled with the injuries, and 4-8 is not only possible, it's probable.

I strongly disagree. Everything that happens on the field is the responsibility of the coaching staff. They have to recruit players that can play, and coach them so that they are ready perform and execute correctly during the game. That's his job.

Do you think that the great coaches just have a magic lucky rabbit foot and because of that their players seem to play well?

MY ANGER IS WITH KIRK FERENTZ. There is no reason why another QB didn't get an opportunity to play last night. What about Weineke? He's given his all and never a snap. Doubtful he could have played any worse.

I strongly disagree. Everything that happens on the field is the responsibility of the coaching staff. They have to recruit players that can play, and coach them so that they are ready perform and execute correctly during the game. That's his job.

Do you think that the great coaches just have a magic lucky rabbit foot and because of that their players seem to play well?

Of course not, but what happened last night was players, too, not just staff. Sure, JVB should be pulled. But if they won't pull him, he should at least get his head in the game. He lost all focus. And the D flat-out gave up.

Please name them. Lets just stick in the Big Ten.

nOt sure about this year and all big 10 schools but last year northwestern had 3 qbs who could start for Iowa, Indiana has two this year, NW has two,

But overall JDM, there is no reason last nite to let jvb take off the 4th qtr and "think and watch " the game as his backup hands off and throws a few passes.

As I mentioned last night, the Greg Davis Experiment has run its course. It's time to flush him.

KF is obviously loyal. To a fault.

LOL I said it when KOK was here to everyone. This has proven it to be true....what is the common denominator with KOK and Greg Davis??? Hmmmmm

Yes, you can attack him and call him every name in the book, insult him as a person for being a hunter and THATS cool...but dont you dare attack him as a quarterback..What a F-ing joke.....I dont, and wouldnt attack him in any way, shape, or form, because he busts his butt and gives us his best. Even though thats not good anymore, he still is a great role model for our kids, and a great human.....but this post is a Joke Miller....You should be ashamed of that.

JVB was pretty darn good at 'the shoe' in 09. Remember the endzone shot? And he did not look terrible last year. No....something has happened to him. He can't come within a time zone on a 10 yard throw. He is frustrated.

I think he being asked to do too much in his progression reads, back shoulder passes, timed routes, coverage check downs, etc,etc.

I think the coaches (namely GD) are in his head and he does not have the time to do everything he is being asked but yet he is still trying to do every thing asked of him. I'll bet if GD went to Vandy and said "look, this next game i want you to put all the things we have talked about after you take the snap and just concentrate on throwing the ball" I'll bet we see a whole different JVB.

JVB was pretty darn good at 'the shoe' in 09. Remember the endzone shot? And he did not look terrible last year. No....something has happened to him. He can't come within a time zone on a 10 yard throw. He is frustrated.

I think he being asked to do too much in his progression reads, back shoulder passes, timed routes, coverage check downs, etc,etc.

I think the coaches (namely GD) are in his head and he does not have the time to do everything he is being asked but yet he is still trying to do every thing asked of him. I'll bet if GD went to Vandy and said "look, this next game i want you to put all the things we have talked about after you take the snap and just concentrate on throwing the ball" I'll bet we see a whole different JVB.

I would agree that it seems like this offense was implemented a little too 'all-at-once', rather than mastering a few components and then adding on each week.

I would agree that it seems like this offense was implemented a little too 'all-at-once', rather than mastering a few components and then adding on each week.

Yeah, that's what it feels like^^

Do you want to call Greg Davis or should I?:D

I'll have a buddy of mine call him:
okap.jpg

He's pretty good at keeping offense 'simple'.

At some point doesn't that become misdirected?

James is 100% invested. He's given it all he has. Countless extra hours of his time to get better, to study, to try to improve but it's just not happening. I think he's probably tried too hard. It just doesn't seem like it's going to happen for him with five games to go.

LOL, "100% invested," that is rich. So just how is spending two weeks of precious practice time last summer up at some hunting ranch in another country, when he has not only a whole new playbook to learn, but also a completely new combination of footwork, drop distance, and reads? Every other staring QB in the country spent their summer working on timing and the playbook on their own time with their returning receivers, but JVB decides to forget about next season for awhile and instead lay out some cash on a canned trophy hunt. The boy has his priorities screwed up and us fans are paying the price. "Countless hours," indeed.

LOL, "100% invested," that is rich. So just how is spending two weeks of precious practice time last summer up at some hunting ranch in another country, when he has not only a whole new playbook to learn, but also a completely new combination of footwork, drop distance, and reads? Every other staring QB in the country spent their summer working on timing and the playbook on their own time with their returning receivers, but JVB decides to forget about next season for awhile and instead lay out some cash on a canned trophy hunt. The boy has his priorities screwed up and us fans are paying the price. "Countless hours," indeed.

So, it shall be known that henceforth, all college FB players shall not have any down time in the summer leading up to the upcoming season...Get a grip. Do you know he did not take the playbook with him on said trip?

Its like being mad at the weatherman. Face it, the program is sliding. Recruiting is not positive, there is not enough depth, Hyde might be the only draft pick, the program is in the news for the wrong reasons. When did another program have 12 players end up in the hospital under supervised training. Ferentz thinks he does not have to answer to fans any longer and that is the issue. JVB is a class kid, just a weatherman in bad weather. Ferentz needs to change or he will be the change at some point. In the end, the fans pay his salary. Ask Lickliter.