Hayden Fry

I guess I am out of the loop...did Barta seriously do that?
Nah, that's why I said "if." Could you imagine if he had a presser on Friday and was like "Um, yeah, before everything gets crazy with Christmas and the bowl next week, I just wanted to announce that we are naming the field "the Pancheros Pump it Up Field at Kinnick Stadium" and it will have to be referred to as that in all media releases going forward."

TigerHawk
The Swarm
Steeler Uniforms
White pants
Scratch where it itche
Pink locker room
ANF
The Bubble
Those Shades
No.1 for 5 weeks
Coaching Tree
Bib Overalls
Stand up TE
So fortunate to be a 20yr old at Iowa in 1981.
RIP Coach! Sure it'll be a heck of a press conference upstairs

This man not only breathed life into Iowa football, he boosted the pride of the entire state with his leadership and style. Made us feel proud again like winners when it hadn’t ever happened before.
ANF
High porch picnic
Exotics
Scratch where it itches
Hawkeye Pepsi bottles
Hope we didn’t hurt any of your boys
Lil’ Dumplins
Our famous-Pink visitors locker room.
Rockin’ the white pants
Made it to 90 cause Marines are just too damn tough
Cancer sucks
LEGEND

This cyclone fan sends his thoughts and condolences to the Hawkeye family. Even as an isu fan, I grew up watching those Iowa teams (as they were on TV way more that the cyclones). Always admired his teams and coaching demeanor. Rest In Peace coach Fry!

I couldn't have been the only one with this:

R-13400291-1553472616-4065.jpeg.jpg

That you spend time on this board and have a chance to celebrate Hawkeye football....and that it is something you cherish, look forward to every fall Saturday and fight and cheer and cry and sweat over....that's because of Coach Fry. As a Hawkeye fan, he gave us this....a part of life to be passionate about and to cherish. How could you ever thank him enough? God speed! Love you coach!
And we as Hawkeyes never have had to apologize for unethical actions because of the honor of Hayden and KF.

TigerHawk
The Swarm
Steeler Uniforms
White pants
Scratch where it itche
Pink locker room
ANF
The Bubble
Those Shades
No.1 for 5 weeks
Coaching Tree
Bib Overalls
Stand up TE
So fortunate to be a 20yr old at Iowa in 1981.
RIP Coach! Sure it'll be a heck of a press conference upstairs
Damn - Great minds!
Kinda freaky we were both thinking same thing just a minute apart

I remember listening to his presser when he was hired in 79 in my dorm room.

I and just about everybody else thought "yeah yeah" he'll be here then gone. Iowa sucks.

Glad I was wrong.

Nah, that's why I said "if." Could you imagine if he had a presser on Friday and was like "Um, yeah, before everything gets crazy with Christmas and the bowl next week, I just wanted to announce that we are naming the field "the Pancheros Pump it Up Field at Kinnick Stadium" and it will have to be referred to as that in all media releases going forward."
That would be something he would do ....too bad the University didn't have the foresight when he inducted into the College Football Hall in 2003.

I can’t believe how sad his passing makes me. We were so blessed to have him lead our favorite team.

From a Penn State fan..............

"I met him once and it was funny.

Pregame in 1984 Iowa City. About 10am I was on the field...throwing passes with team managers and cheerleaders. I was not in the Lion suit.

Standing at midfield, I dropped back to the 45 and sent a pass to the far corner of the end zone. It was a pass that left my hand in a way no ball ever did and a way I could never repeat again. My target caught the ball as I stood with my mouth open.

Immediately behind me a voice says “Son, you should be playing for us”. Turning around....it’s Haden Fry.

I have no recollection of my response other than shaking the hand he offered to me.

RIP....one of my coolest memories."

Marine, leader, coach, bigger than life, none of these titles gives justice to the man from Texas that saved Iowa football and transformed the Big 10 from the Big 2 and the little 8. He was a master phycologist and innovator and above all a competitor. The University, the state of Iowa, and all of us fans owe that man a debt of gratitude that can't be repaid. He changed our belief system in what we thought was possible for Iowa football. I am saddened by the news of his passing but remember only great memories of the man in sunglasses who brought sunshine to Iowa football.

For the state of Iowa there was no better time for a man like Hayden Fry to be on the scene. The 1980's were economically very tough. Farmers were going bust, plants were being shuttered, and people were fleeing the state. There was a lot of human misery. For three hours on fall Saturdays Hayden Fry coached a University of Iowa football team that helped many people escape the grim realities of life. It did for me personally since I was directly involved with the consequences of business failures and unemployment.

Hayden Fry's contribution to the University of Iowa was far greater than the confines of Kinnick Stadium. It extended to every corner of the state and to the many athletes from around the country that elected to be coached and mentored by him. And to the Fry family I express my condolences and give thanks for the innumerable ways he affected so many in a positive way. Our hero...

Woke up being gut punched! R.i.p. coach Fry
Semper Fi brother Marine! More of my childhood and young adult life just passed by today!
Thanks for the memories and making me a Hawk fan!

Latest posts