Hayden Fry

Does make me wonder how KF will honor him. Obviously KF loves him and has nothing but respect. A helmet decal doesnt seem like enough.
Knowing how important the Tiger Hawk was to Hayden (and the program), I'd like to see something like a single tear coming from the Tiger Hawk's eye on the helmet, rather than an all-black helmet. He was, after all, basically the guy who commissioned it.

My personal Hayden Fry...

When "High Porch Picnic" came out, he did a book signing at CHA. I was in Eastern Iowa on biz so I stopped by.

I got to the table, introduced myself and Coach Fry shook my hand. As he signed my book, I told him, "Coach you always reminded me a little of my Dad" (who had passed earlier that year). Hayden paused, looked up at me and deadpanned "Well...I hope you liked him" and we both laughed. Then he looked me straight in the eye and said "Thank you, that's a heck of a compliment".

Classic Hayden.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the funeral will be between this Friday - Sunday down in Texas somewhere? I'm sure Kirk will go, I wonder how much of Iowa's practice he will miss and how it will affect the teams practice as well?

Coach Fry had a long and storybook life, which should be celebrated, not mourned. That's the way he would want it.

One of my favorite stories about Hayden was told (I believe) by Tom Nichol.

Apparently, Hayden was assessing the talent at practice before the season started and was hit square in the head by a ball while walking down the sideline. He turned to ask who it was and an assistant coach said (to paraphrase), "That's our new kicker." To which Hayden responded, "Well, at least he's accurate..."

RIP Coach.

Last edited:
ShU2lZQ.gif

I was 12 when Hayden was hired. I grew up with losing Iowa football. When Hayden came in and created the Tiger Hawk, I was blown away. Such a simple design. I would sit in class and draw it. And Im terrible at drawing, but I could draw that logo. So iconic.

Hayden was a fantastic man. He was exactly what the state of Iowa and the University needed at that time.

Go to Youtube and search "Hayden Fry" lots of great stuff, Sedric Shaw, Po Pelini, Alvarez, Snyder, lots and lots.

Hayden has been in the Dallas area for several years. He was unable to attend the last reunion of one of the Rose bowl teams (Brashier looked pretty frail as well). His 90th birthday party, held in Dallas in April, was relatively low key.

In honor of Hayden our first offensive play in the Holiday Bowl should be a statue of liberty!

Run it twice in a row like the 1980 game against Illinois.

Without Hayden. Iowa could have been Rutgers

Yeah, probably more like Kansas. Rutgers was in a weak conference and had a mini-run with Schiano. I think Iowa would have had like honestly one really good year and maybe a couple of 8 win years rather than our current run of success.

Latest posts