Hayden Fry

The student section used to be in that end zone.

I was sitting above and to the left in the shot as seen from behind Houghtlin.

I don't think I had a voice for three days.

They should do a "Where Are They Now" on BTN or something and interview the student who tossed the iconic roll of toilet paper immediately after the kick was made.

Of course 1,000 people would claim responsibility, just like hundreds of thousands claim now to have been in attendance that day.

When I left Iowa in 1976 there were very few Iowa hoodies, T shirts around. Now the Tiger Hawk is world wide. My little town north of Seattle. Represented. In Sitka Alaska at the Pioneer bar there's a Iowa flag on the wall behind the bartenders. In Juneau there's a little cafe run by a Iowan.I was in Disney world recently, Hawkeye's were there. That's the affect of Hayden Fry. He put Iowa on the map.

Later this coming year I am going to Ireland. There will be some Hawkeye stickers left behind. I am sure my Hawkeye stickers won't be the only ones there.

The student section used to be in that end zone.

I was sitting above and to the left in the shot as seen from behind Houghtlin.

I don't think I had a voice for three days.

They should do a "Where Are They Now" on BTN or something and interview the student who tossed the iconic roll of toilet paper immediately after the kick was made.

Of course 1,000 people would claim responsibility, just like hundreds of thousands claim now to have been in attendance that day.

I would have been to your left, Houghtlin's right, almost directly behind the goalpost.

I spent the last 5 minutes trying not to hurl after a guy held up his bota, said, "Drink, dude!", and shot me leatherized rum. He 1) forgot to add Coke or other mix and 2) obviously purchased the bota that morning without rinsing it. Only that kick saved me!

And the week just got worse. The Last American Hero, Junior Johnson, died today at 88.
Now THAT is the end of an era.

Is he the last of the great original NASCAR drivers? I consider Richard Petty a second generation driver. His dad would have been first generation.

It's been written that Hayden "lost a 20 year battle with cancer". I'd say surviving 20 years and living to age 90 is winning.

Now THAT is the end of an era.

Is he the last of the great original NASCAR drivers? I consider Richard Petty a second generation driver. His dad would have been first generation.

Yeah, pretty much everything from that era is gone. Cotton Owens, Curtis Turner, Tim Flock, Lee Petty, Buck Baker. Hell even Hudson automobiles are gone and the blow dried college boys who took over NASCAR after Bill France Sr. gave up the reigns killed off Wilkesboro speedway up in NC, which was Junior Johnson's home track.

Yeah, pretty much everything from that era is gone. Cotton Owens, Curtis Turner, Tim Flock, Lee Petty, Buck Baker. Hell even Hudson automobiles are gone and the blow dried college boys who took over NASCAR after Bill France Sr. gave up the reigns killed off Wilkesboro speedway up in NC, which was Junior Johnson's home track.
They abandoned Rockingham as well. A great midsized track.

They cut Darlington and Atlanta back to one race per season. Every new track that was built in the nineties was a cookie cutter superspeedway that, predictably, they can no longer fill up for even one race a year. Meanwhile, the corporate side of the sport hitched their buggy wagon to Jeff Gordon, the perfect antihero for the Millenium.

Give me Senior, Cale, David Pearson and Richard Petty any day of the week!

STOCK CAR driver. back in the day, they were Stock Car drivers. :)
Back in the day when they would beat on each other for 500 miles, wrestle a beat up car to the finish line, then go get a beer together.

Dale Earnhardt after he and Ricky Rudd once tangled up "No, I'm not upset. He had as much right to that piece of the track as I did. That was some good ol' fashioned stock car racing".

Dale must have been in a good mood that day. He and Ricky had as many dust-ups as any two drivers of that era. Nowadays you take the air off someone's spoiler and they're looking to drop the gloves. And they wouldn't know how to drive a beat up car if you gave them detailed instructions.

They abandoned Rockingham as well. A great midsized track.

They cut Darlington and Atlanta back to one race per season. Every new track that was built in the nineties was a cookie cutter superspeedway that, predictably, they can no longer fill up for even one race a year. Meanwhile, the corporate side of the sport hitched their buggy wagon to Jeff Gordon, the perfect antihero for the Millenium.

Give me Senior, Cale, David Pearson and Richard Petty any day of the week!

Rockingham might be able to return. It has been kept up since it is so close to Charlotte. Teams used to test there before the testing ban and Goodyear will still test tires there. They need to cut Texas, California, Vegas and Kansas to one race each, get at least one more back to the South and get one in Newton, Iowa.

I don't mind that they cut Atlanta to one race. They redid the track and it is a Charlotte clone, just like all the other new tracks.

Latest posts