Hawks look to start win streak of one at Breslin game thread

He's struggling with his shot and confidence, no doubt Especially on the road. I'm not ready to call him mentally weak just yet though.

He's 6' 6", and he's gotta keep shooting from outside even when cold. The form is good, if not great. He cant dribble drive unless his shot is falling. He also needs to put on a little muscle yet...bodying him really throws him off

He’s soft. Holy hell is he soft. Fine brick everything, but dammit your ass better be on the floor getting after loose balls, not falling asleep on D. He needs to wake the F up

The good JT did an excellent job on Winston and played one of his best games defensively, Winston only got hot while JT was on the bench.
The bad JW has become very inconsistent.
I also think Garza is great but not ready for the pros as he will face tillman types every night

Did anyone really expect a Big title? Let’s just get healthy win our home games and prepare for the Tourneys. Beat Penn St. revenge Purdue, ride that mo to Illinois. It hurts because the refs stopped calling the game they called for 75 % of the game and kissed Izzo’s ass the last quarter of the game. Iowa didn’t rise to the occasion as well. I hope the players are not gassed from the grind of the season. Does anyone know it CJ had a setback or just needed more time?

He's struggling with his shot and confidence, no doubt Especially on the road. I'm not ready to call him mentally weak just yet though.

He's 6' 6", and he's gotta keep shooting from outside even when cold. The form is good, if not great. He cant dribble drive unless his shot is falling. He also needs to put on a little muscle yet...bodying him really throws him off
He was so bad shooting the last few games he's almost throwing up air balls. He's extremely weak at the rim missed another one tonight had 2 TO's on 2 other drives Fran should bench the kid bring him for 6 minutes per half almost Riley Till like and see if he can even provide a bench spark at some point.

He was so bad shooting the last few games he's almost throwing up air balls. He's extremely weak at the rim missed another one tonight had 2 TO's on 2 other drives Fran should bench the kid bring him for 6 minutes per half almost Riley Till like and see if he can even provide a bench spark at some point.
It looks like he is trying to spin the ball when he shoots or something. It looks really awkward.

And play...Pemsl or Ash more?

Without CJF...you play JW and tell him to start shooting more outside...he's 6'6" and needs to pull the trigger until he finds it.
No you go smaller with Evelyn and Toussaint and hopefully CJ can get back before the Big 10 tourney. And BTW Pemsl is shooting at a better % than Weiskamp is down the stretch.

Evelyn actually had 2

Not according to the box score, and I don't remember a second make.

Kreiner - 2 of 5
CMac - 2 of 4
Toussaint - 1 of 2
Evelyn - 1 of 5
Garza - 0 of 5
Wieskamp - 0 of 5

Team - 6 of 27

I'm not positive, but I think Garza has missed ten straight threes going back to last game. Last game I think he started out 2 for 2, but then ended up 2 for 7.

Wieskamp didnt shoot a single shot tonight that looked like it had a chance to go in the second after it left his hand. Every single one of his shots were god awful.

Yep. It is a confidence issue at this point. It is no longer about teams being physical with him or doubling him up.....he’s lost his mojo

He's just mentally weak.

Uh, no. The kid came in as a Freshman and never so much a blinked from his first game on. He can play in any arena. I just think he's hitting a slump. It happens...even to really good players. The shot doesn't fall, you force things, get out of your rhythm...and then your confidence dips. That's where he is right now...nothing looked comfortable tonight. Has to find a way to get it back..and hopefully we have a coaching staff that can help.

But he's not mentally weak.

At this point I think Fran needs to re-examine the minutes Joe W is getting the kid is a liability out there a majority of the time. He's completely lost all confidence and there's little anyone can do to get the kid to pull his head out. He looks so uncomfortable shooting out there it's pointless to show confidence in the kid. Bench him bring him in off the bench play him 12 min a game and be done with it.
No. There’s not enough talent on bench to do that. He still plays good defense — although I caught him jogging back after missed shots this game.

If it was next season with JBo and CJ, yeah, I can see taking minutes away and make him fear losing minutes more than afraid of contact on the floor.

MSU isn't up to their normal standard but their D is still tough as hell. It won the game for them down the stretch. Iowa couldn't get many clean looks while MSU was shooting wide open in rhythm 3s

I don't think the kid is mentally weak but he's on eggshells as far as his confidence is concerned and he is physically weak at the rim he's not Aaron White, Jared Uthoff OR Isaiah MOss finishing a fast break.

No. There’s not enough talent on bench to do that. He still plays good defense — although I caught him jogging back after missed shots this game.

If it was next season with JBo and CJ, yeah, I can see taking minutes away and make him fear losing minutes more than afraid of contact on the floor.
So your answer is just let the kid continue to flounder in hopes he figures it out? I think we've been doing that like the last 8 games and we are still winning.

Uh, no. The kid came in as a Freshman and never so much a blinked from his first game on. He can play in any arena. I just think he's hitting a slump. It happens...even to really good players. The shot doesn't fall, you force things, get out of your rhythm...and then your confidence dips. That's where he is right now...nothing looked comfortable tonight. Has to find a way to get it back..and hopefully we have a coaching staff that can help.

But he's not mentally weak.
His confidence dips because he's mentally weak. Bohannon's confidence never dips because he's not mentally weak.

Latest posts