Hawks Land 4-star RB

He runs about a 4.5 40. The team he got the 540 on is about 20 minutes from where I live. They arent very good, but Smith was the offense. They gave him the rock, and as the stats show, he dominated them.
He is a very good pick up.

Good job on keeping the St Louis pipeline open. Its fertile ground.

EDIT: He decommitted from Mizzou.

He said he's done taking visits too, said it's Iowa, case closed. Also saw somewhere that he squatted 500 lbs..Doyle is salivating..

I thought we weren't supposed to mention positives.

Very glad to hear this. Video looks impressive. Welcome Aboard Markel!! GO HAWKS!

This could work out to be a very good pickup in the long run. Hopefully he has heart and character to stay out of trouble when he gets here.

I heard that O'l Miss pays top dollar for Running Backs, so maybe we're getting serious about all of this now.

I was a 4 star running back with multiple offers. then I realized: I'm a slasher. I'm not a power back.

espn_pod_sep17_20.jpg

Some interesting rumors out there involving Markel. The big one is that he tried to commit to Mizzou today and was turned down, so he decided on Iowa because of that. There was even a story set to run on the StL Post-Dispatch website with the headline "Markel Smith commits to Mizzou" earlier today. A link was posted, the headline was there for people to see, and the editor are now back-tracking.

This was posted at 5:25 PM as a correction of the headline from earlier in the day saying Markel had committed to Mizzou:

"Markel Smith commits to Mizzou" is an outdated, standing headline that should have been deleted from our system. Somehow, it found its way onto our site this afternoon for a few minutes, and if you clicked it, you noticed the story was blank.

I apologize for the confusion. There is no news on Markel Smith.

-- mike

Now, it's possible that this was a weird mistake by the folks at the Post-Dispatch. It's also very possible that Markel leaked to them that he was going to commit to Mizzou, they prepped the story on their website, and after Mizzou turned him away, the website had to retract what they already posted.

Some interesting rumors out there involving Markel. The big one is that he tried to commit to Mizzou today and was turned down, so he decided on Iowa because of that. There was even a story set to run on the StL Post-Dispatch website with the headline "Markel Smith commits to Mizzou" earlier today. A link was posted, the headline was there for people to see, and the editor are now back-tracking.

This was posted at 5:25 PM as a correction of the headline from earlier in the day saying Markel had committed to Mizzou:

Now, it's possible that this was a weird mistake by the folks at the Post-Dispatch. It's also very possible that Markel leaked to them that he was going to commit to Mizzou, they prepped the story on their website, and after Mizzou turned him away, the website had to retract what they already posted.

If that had been what happened, they wouldn't backtrack, though. At least not with an explanation like that.

Sounds fishy all the way around. Wonder why Mizzou wouldn't pull the trigger on the kid? Color me skeptical he ever wears an Iowa uniform, although I sincerely hope he does based on his stats and highlight videos.

On one hand I'm happy the Hawks landed a 4-star stud RB, but on the other hand I'm saddened that landing a 4-star anything is so rare it warrants it's own thread on a non-recruiting forum.

Once he committed to Iowa I am sure the Wisconsin coaches were getting their luggage loaded on a plane to go visit and try to poach a recruit.

Since 4* RB's are usually field-ready, I'm looking forward to seeing him in 2016, after Weisman, Bullock and then Canzerri have all graduated. That is, if some other upperclassman "story" doesn't emerge in the meantime and he knows how to pick up the blitz.

Experience and blocking technique are the true measures of RB contributions and will trump physical talent and speed. Just work hard Markel and don't get discouraged.

First off, good job by the Iowa recruiting staff! They are really picking things up.

Second it is good to see a kid with a good head on his shoulders. He made a good choice, and had a promising future. Too many rectuits in the past few years have made awful decisions. I hope that more recruits will follow his path.

Iowa is quietly putting together a pretty good recruiting class this year. I'm excited to see who else comes out of nowhere and commits.

But wait I thought no one wanted to come here over other BCS schools?
This is a very good pickup and they are still in on some very good recruits.

Met all academic entrance requirements at this stage? There could still be some question there which might also explain the somewhat unusual limited offers since his earlier change of heart with MO.

Latest posts