Hawks Land 4-star RB

I have a sick feeling in my stomach this is going to turn out to be Rodney Coe v2.0 except Smith isn't a DT trying to be a RB. Lots of crowing out there that this kid is not getting the numbers on his ACT needed to get into school and he has several ACT attempts booked over the next few months to make sure he gets those numbers needed.

However with Mizzou, it sounds like the legitimately turned him down because they were full at RB, not because of his academic standing.[/QUOTE]

Hard to believe that Mizzou couldn't find a way to get a four-star RB there. Sounds like there's more to the story going on heree.

Please supply me with evidence that he tried to re-commit to Mizzou and was turned down. Thank you.

If it makes you feel any better, what Norwalk said was a pessimistic exaggeration. The closest thing to that was this quote.

"I like Iowa," Jennings said. "I liked everything about it. It definitely gives me something to think about."

That was the worst thing he said.

Shocking that some Iowa fans desperately try to glean the negative out of any Iowa football situation....nah. Some fans are so desperate to get rid of KF, they root against Iowa football at this point...shame.

He runs about a 4.5 40. The team he got the 540 on is about 20 minutes from where I live. They arent very good, but Smith was the offense. They gave him the rock, and as the stats show, he dominated them.
He is a very good pick up.

Good job on keeping the St Louis pipeline open. Its fertile ground.

EDIT: He decommitted from Mizzou.

• 40:4.65 secs
Markel Smith - Yahoo! Sports

Not super fast but looks strong and switches directions well. Watching some of his highlights he does real well returning kickoffs also. Seems to read the field well.

If it makes you feel any better, what Norwalk said was a pessimistic exaggeration. The closest thing to that was this quote.

"I like Iowa," Jennings said. "I liked everything about it. It definitely gives me something to think about."

That was the worst thing he said.

Look at it this way, if the kid truly wanted to get out of Rutgers and he liked his visit as much as you think his comments mean then he would have done so. Not saying it's out of the question but the rumblings are that these visits were more of the "comparing Rutgers to others" instead of the "looking for another place to go".

Also here is something Vosov failed to post from the same article he took the quotes from. Jennings talking about where he is at currently in the process:

"I'm still committed," he said. "I'm still holding strong with it, but I'm gonna take my officials because I just want to experience different places just to see if another place could possibly be right for me. And I won't know if I don't experience them."

Look at it this way, if the kid truly wanted to get out of Rutgers and he liked his visit as much as you think his comments mean then he would have done so. Not saying it's out of the question but the rumblings are that these visits were more of the "comparing Rutgers to others" instead of the "looking for another place to go".

Norwalk, he is doing the exact same thing that every other kid that has ever been committed to one school but visited others have done. They continue to say they are committed until they actually commit somewhere else. I never said anything about what his comment meant. All I did was give an actual quote instead of make something up that made it sound worse than what he actually said. He still wants to visit Pitt as well, and my guess is that he will likely have a pretty good idea by then.

Also here is something Vosov failed to post from the same article he took the quotes from. Jennings talking about where he is at currently in the process:

"I'm still committed," he said. "I'm still holding strong with it, but I'm gonna take my officials because I just want to experience different places just to see if another place could possibly be right for me. And I won't know if I don't experience them."

That is not from the article I quoted.

Can he cut back against the flow, i.e., the forgotten bread and butter of Iowa's running game?

According to multiple sources, Markel Smith of St. Louis is the newest Iowa commit.

I live in St Louis and have been able to see him this year. His HS, Vianney is a few miles from my home.

Here is what I know. He is a very good running back to be sure. This year, Vianney has only played 2 teams that have a winning record. The best team they played is CBC (Christian Brothers College HS) and he had 35 carries for 127 yards or 3.6 per carry.

He's had some huge games as well, but the competition was a little weaker and I am only trying to be honest about it. He averages 31 carries per game as well. Again, Vianney has only played 4 schools this year in St. Louis County. Their other 5 games to date were against teams considered smaller and more rural.

It at least keeps the pipeline open in St. Louis.

Do you ever get anything right? He is waiting for his ACT score because he only recently took the test. This clearly does NOT indicate he will have a problem qualifying. Try waiting until info becomes available before you start running your mouth. thank you.

"Smith also mentions that he's still trying to qualify" ........per Dave Matter on 11/6, sport's writer for Columbia Daily Tribune and contributor to The St. Louis Dispatch.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't exactly tell me that there is clearly no problem. It's also my belief that it is the SAT. Hopefully it all works for the young man and he will be a Hawkeye. It's good news for now.

"Smith also mentions that he's still trying to qualify" ........per Dave Matter on 11/6, sport's writer for Columbia Daily Tribune and contributor to The St. Louis Dispatch.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't exactly tell me that there is clearly no problem. It's also my belief that it is the SAT. Hopefully it all works for the young man and he will be a Hawkeye. It's good news for now.

Not SAT, but ACT. He has recently retaken it and is waiting on his score. If he doesn't get the score he wants he said he will take it again. More than likely he will be fine, but it certainly isn't a slam dunk.

I live in St Louis and have been able to see him this year. His HS, Vianney is a few miles from my home.

Here is what I know. He is a very good running back to be sure. This year, Vianney has only played 2 teams that have a winning record. The best team they played is CBC (Christian Brothers College HS) and he had 35 carries for 127 yards or 3.6 per carry.

He's had some huge games as well, but the competition was a little weaker and I am only trying to be honest about it. He averages 31 carries per game as well. Again, Vianney has only played 4 schools this year in St. Louis County. Their other 5 games to date were against teams considered smaller and more rural.

It at least keeps the pipeline open in St. Louis.

thanks for 'keepin' it real' for the common folk of IA......let's hope D1 schools who watched and expressed interested factored what you have revealed into their offers/interest.

this board is incredible - iowa give you something to give you something to be happy about, and seemingly a majority is finding fault with that too.

Do you ever get anything right? He is waiting for his ACT score because he only recently took the test. This clearly does NOT indicate he will have a problem qualifying. Try waiting until info becomes available before you start running your mouth. thank you.

Since when do I have to wait for anything until I run my mouth? Running my mouth is what I do.

He hasn't qualified yet, just as you pointed out. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue.

Latest posts