Hawkeyes Sign Patrick McCaffery, Joe Toussaint

Meh. At one time this was supposed to be a marquee class. Remember when Pat was going to recruit other “top” talent to come play with him?

This class ended with him, who I still feel should probably redshirt as a freshman unless something changes, and Toussaint.

Toussaint is an interesting prospect but let’s recall the staff didn’t even recruit or offer him until late in the process.

All of this is to say now the 2020 class is even more important. We have a few scholarships to use, need to get a couple impact guys. It would help if we had an uptick on the floor this year.

Gee. It sure did not take long for a couple of posters to immediately diss our new team members. I think I will hang around for a couple of years before I pass judgement.

Gee. It sure did not take long for a couple of posters to immediately diss our new team members. I think I will hang around for a couple of years before I pass judgement.
Nobody dissed them? 1hawkeye responded to his own post hoping Joe was the real deal.

I was merely commenting on the fact that we had extremely high hopes for this class and it didn’t end with a whole lot of excitement (missing Carton and every other big name guy we were pursuing).

I think Pat could be really good down the road when he puts on some weight. Joe is an interesting prospect and could be a nice player for us.

Joe should help out a lot, Patrick I don't expect much from to at least his sophomore season. He needs a redshirt for sure. From what I've seen on the highlights Joe will have the most impact on this team of any player in the last several years. Dribble drive, playing defense, and quickness, wish we had him this year.

Joe should help out a lot, Patrick I don't expect much from to at least his sophomore season. He needs a redshirt for sure. From what I've seen on the highlights Joe will have the most impact on this team of any player in the last several years. Dribble drive, playing defense, and quickness, wish we had him this year.

He won’t redshirt because Pops won’t be here long enough. :cool:

Fran recruits what Fran recruits. He also produces recruits......................... with the help of his wife. :D Hoping for the best!!!

I think we need to temper expectations of Joe a bit. Iowa was his only P5 offer. His tape reminds me of Clemmons, who was a quality player for us but not necessarily a program changer. He plays with a low center of gravity, not the tightest handle in the world and not a lot of rise on his jump shot. I like his bulldog mentality and he should help us with defense.

Everyone wants to believe he’s this lightning quick PG they’ve been wanting for a long time, but I’m not sure he’s that guy. The coaching staff is recruiting several PGs in the 2020 class so they might not be sold either.

Anyway again I’m not knocking Joe and I’m glad we pulled the trigger on him. His mentality and defense should be much needed, although I’m not sure he gets a lot of minutes next year anyway. Down the road he should be a quality role player for us.

My mistake. I hope the hawkeyes do good this year. They have up to six scholarships to award next year.

This. We absolutely HAVE to do well this season. No NCAA tournament probably spells the end for Fran. Can't strike out on a class that needs to fill so many spots.

Edit: By this I mean not an immediate end, but a slow death due to a lack of capable players leading to multiple more years of missed tournaments.

On this scholarship discussion.

Pat will get one because we have one available as we speak, we have Baer’s, and Cook will likely depart after this year. We could and probably should have taken another player in this class but we just couldn’t land our targets. We might go the transfer route in the off-season when Cook goes pro but Fran hasn’t don’t much of that.

Part of me is starting to wonder if this will be Moss’s last year. He could grad transfer after this season and he’s starting to already lose minutes to Cmac and Dailey.

Either way I hope the 2020 class is at max 4 freshman, even that number is too big most likely.