Hawkeyes Sign Patrick McCaffery, Joe Toussaint

Think about it. If this guy were anywhere near a Dean Oliver or Jeff Moe or Steve Carfino, he would be worshiped like a God by this rabid fan base.
I'd take another Anthony Clemmons. Solid defender and good role player. Not everybody needs to be or will be a star. They do need at least one star player in the 2020 class. Preferably a guard.

Iowa in 2 years...

Senior: Garza
Junior: Wieskamp, Nunge, Connor (RS)
Sophomore: Patrick, Joe Touissant, CJ Fredrick (RS)

On paper it seems to check all the boxes. A stud senior center, some upper classmen who can shoot, rebound, and hopefully play some defense, some talented sophomores. Who knows. Its also very white....like 85% white.

Fran might want to look into a JUCO to pair with Garza's class next year. Help even the classes out.

Iowa in 2 years...

Senior: Garza
Junior: Wieskamp, Nunge, Connor (RS)
Sophomore: Patrick, Joe Touissant, CJ Fredrick (RS)

On paper it seems to check all the boxes. A stud senior center, some upper classmen who can shoot, rebound, and hopefully play some defense, some talented sophomores. Who knows. Its also very white....like 85% white.

Fran might want to look into a JUCO to pair with Garza's class next year. Help even the classes out.
When I look at that it tells me there is no way we can redshirt Pat next year which is unfortunate.

It’s also too bad that Dailey never redshirted. Would have been nice to have him in Garza’s class.

Doesn’t seem like the unbalanced scholarship situation is going away anytime soon. Just another one of the knocks on Fran.

I'd take another Anthony Clemmons. Solid defender and good role player. Not everybody needs to be or will be a star. They do need at least one star player in the 2020 class. Preferably a guard.
Probably dreaming a bit here, but I would love to land Foster and Tyler Beard in the 2020 class. Throw in maybe an athletic wing for one of the other open scholarships and that could be a strong class.

https://247sports.com/player/tyler-beard-46047367/

This is all a total yawner I believe FRan needs to win games...doesn't matter put any name on the back of a Hawkeye jersey and it should say NO D.

When I look at that it tells me there is no way we can redshirt Pat next year which is unfortunate.

It’s also too bad that Dailey never redshirted. Would have been nice to have him in Garza’s class.

Doesn’t seem like the unbalanced scholarship situation is going away anytime soon. Just another one of the knocks on Fran.

Why can't Pat redshirt next year?

PG - Connor & Joe T
PG/SG - Bohannon
SG - Moss & Frederick
SG/SF - Dailey
SF - Joe W
PF/C - Nunge, Kriener & Pemsl
C - Garza

Pat will be a 3/4 with a similar body type as Baer/Uthoff. That lineup should be able to handle a year without Pat barring any unforeseen injuries. There are possibly 11 players besides Pat that will be fighting for minutes, assuming nobody transfers.

Why can't Pat redshirt next year?

PG - Connor & Joe T
PG/SG - Bohannon
SG - Moss & Frederick
SG/SF - Dailey
SF - Joe W
PF/C - Nunge, Kriener & Pemsl
C - Garza

Pat will be a 3/4 with a similar body type as Baer/Uthoff. That lineup should be able to handle a year without Pat barring any unforeseen injuries. There are possibly 11 players besides Pat that will be fighting for minutes, assuming nobody transfers.
It’s not about next year it’s about the following year. You lose JBo, Moss, Dailey, Kriener, and Pemsl. Which means if Pat redshirted the following year you’d only return a few guys with experience playing. Hard to have a winning season with 6 freshman added to the mix.

Again I do think Pat needs to redshirt but based on the classes it might not work out.

It’s not about next year it’s about the following year. You lose JBo, Moss, Dailey, Kriener, and Pemsl. Which means if Pat redshirted the following year you’d only return a few guys with experience playing. Hard to have a winning season with 6 freshman added to the mix.

Again I do think Pat needs to redshirt but based on the classes it might not work out.

Gotcha. Yeah that would make it tough. The starters would be somewhat seasoned but the bench would be extremely young.

So for the 2020-2021 season we are looking at a current roster like this.

PG - Connor & Joe T
SG - Frederick
SF - Joe W
SF/PF - Pat
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

That's 7 players known. Honestly even if Pat does redshirt next year I don't think it's a huge deal for the following year. It would be tough but you'd have 6 players with experience 4 with 2+ years under their belts. It'll be interesting to see if Fran goes after a transfer or some JUCO players to try and help fix the scholarship distribution issue. Probably not but one can hope...

This. We absolutely HAVE to do well this season. No NCAA tournament probably spells the end for Fran. Can't strike out on a class that needs to fill so many spots.

Edit: By this I mean not an immediate end, but a slow death due to a lack of capable players leading to multiple more years of missed tournaments.
Very slow death given the Barta extension AGAIN!

So for the 2020-2021 season we are looking at a current roster like this.

PG - Connor & Joe T
SG - Frederick
SF - Joe W
SF/PF - Pat
PF - Nunge
C - Garza

That's 7 players known. Honestly even if Pat does redshirt next year I don't think it's a huge deal for the following year. It would be tough but you'd have 6 players with experience 4 with 2+ years under their belts. It'll be interesting to see if Fran goes after a transfer or some JUCO players to try and help fix the scholarship distribution issue. Probably not but one can hope...
Cordell should be in that mix as a fifth year senior. He should get the medical redshirt.

Cordell should be in that mix as a fifth year senior. He should get the medical redshirt.

Indeed, he will most likely be in that list now that we have more information available than we did a month ago. ;)

That gives the team 8 players and another experienced guy. There will be a few more sprinkled in as well. The roster should be in decent shape.