Hawkeyes Past, Present, Future Share Feelings on Racial Injustice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I have no doubt that you have no idea.
Of course we have no idea. But picture this. A guy sits at home every day wishing he could afford to get back to his native land. Do you think it sucks that he doesn't live where he wants to live?

Of course we have no idea. But picture this. A guy sits at home every day wishing he could afford to get back to his native land. Do you think it sucks that he doesn't live where he wants to live?
STOP THIS RHETORIC. THEIR NATIVE LAND IS AMERICA. IF YOU WERE BORN IN IOWA, YOU ARE AN IOWAN NATIVE. IF YOU WERE BORN IN CALIFORNIA, YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA NATIVE. IF YOU WERE BORN IN AMERICA, YOU ARE A NATIVE AMERICAN.

(the people you think are "native americans" are INDIGENOUS PEOPLE).

THIS IS THEIR HOME, YOU IDIOT.

EDIT: QUIT DOGWHISTLING AND "OTHERING" BLACK AMERICANS.
Are you arguing that no one ever wants to go back to where their family originated? I would argue with 330 million people here, there are at least some people from most countries who still consider their native country some form of home. But Fry made a good point that the time gap from people coming from Europe and the slaves being forced over is big. Let's say slaves were forced here 60 years ago. Would you then see how some people would want to go back today if given the choice? The only flaw in my arguement was I didn't consider the time gap. Everything else is unconscious bias from people assuming I'm saying something I'm clearly not saying.

Sorry, I tried really hard and just couldn't picture this.

STOP THIS RHETORIC. THEIR NATIVE LAND IS AMERICA. IF YOU WERE BORN IN IOWA, YOU ARE AN IOWAN NATIVE. IF YOU WERE BORN IN CALIFORNIA, YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA NATIVE. IF YOU WERE BORN IN AMERICA, YOU ARE A NATIVE AMERICAN.

(the people you think are "native americans" are INDIGENOUS PEOPLE).
Ok then what word do you use to describe the land your ancestors originated from. That's the word I mean to use.

PC you should really give up while you're behind man. It's not "going home" if they've never lived there and their parents never lived there and their grandparents never lived there and their great grandparents never lived there, etc. They were born here. This is their home.

PC you should really give up while you're behind man. It's not "going home" if they've never lived there and their parents never lived there and their grandparents never lived there and their great grandparents never lived there, etc. They were born here. This is their home.

That's why I said repeatedly that I didn't consider time frame. Again, here was my thought process.

1- see things that say "if they don't like it, go home".

2- think, that's a dumb arguement. They couldn't afford to if they want to.

3- think, there are probably people who would like to go to Africa because I know there are people of other nationalities that would jump at the chance to go back to where they originated.

4- think, that is something the government should do. Their ancestors were forced here so if anyone truly wants to go back, money shouldn't be a reason they can't.

5- make post saying that.

6- get torn up.

7- read a good point explaining the time frame difference between Europeans that came here and African people that came here.

8- explain how that's a good point and that is where my idea was flawed. But still recognize that the only thing that changes is the amount of people who would want to take advantage of that opportunity. It doesn't change the good intent I had when I posted it.

I'm not stepping back and I don't agree with you. I don't want to hear your whataboutism story. You want me to acknowledge people on here not willing to accept unconscious bias and white privilege and want no part of understanding it and someone talking about sending black people back to Africa?

Come on, dude. The time for soft-stepping is done. If you expect that from me moving forward, you're going to be very disappointed.
That's cold dude... I thought that guy was coming at you from a respectful place. He was calling you out but he was respectful about it. You put your whataboutism out there with your past. His has no lessor value. I'm not sure to what extent he's asking you 'acknowledge' anything from that other guy as he is just pointing out how you've been going about conversing with others. I'm not sure if most folks expect you to be Mr Rodgers but you've noticeably flipped a switch with how your speaking to others though and I can see what he means. It's pretty off putting.

Well crap I just did and I got a place. Can you give me a quick explanation of what you mean or give me something to google?

You can't solve racism as a society, because it starts at the top.
Why do immigrants get special tax breaks? Starting a new life? We all did when we left home. I can guarantee you there are people of every race in this country that left home with more than I did. Probably the same could be said about starting a new life, leaving home with less.
However you don't hear me over hear bitching that someone else's parents got a better deal on college then mine did and this gave their children a better start in life.
This whole dam country is soft. Every one thinks they have something to say and it doesn't matter if it's their opinion against a million, they think it should carry the same weight. Like a bunch of Gabby women on the view, who don't know anything about the real world but want to advise on it.
The fact is we will never all be equal and it has nothing to do with race. Someone will always have more and someone will always have less. Unless y'all are suggesting that everyone on this board pools all their assets and we divide them equally. I didn't think so. Because how is that fair? I remember someone on here talking about how much they had to work and save and had no money to do anything while in college, so how is it fair that they had to do that, but there are a multitude of programs for minorities to go to school much much easier? So who is the privileged one?
Again somebody will always have a worse start and someone will always have a better start. Someone will always have more and someone will always have less. It's not just in the United States either.
But if you can just stop being soft. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop bitching and complaining and just shut the hell up and put your head down and take care of business, you might not win, but you won't lose either. Stop focusing on the bad, stop focusing on what you think you can't accomplish, stop the constant talk about this and that.
It's like the children's book The Little Red Hen. That is what the world has come to. Everyone wants a piece of the pie, but nobody wants to do what it takes to make the pie.

Last edited:
"But listen: This is not said to make white people feel guilty about their privilege. It’s not your fault that you were born with white skin and experience these privileges. But whether you realize it or not, you do benefit from it, and it is your fault if you don’t maintain awareness of that fact."

Been to jail? With a name like Reefer? Of course. Been the minority? Yep.

Edited previous post to link article.

Here it is again: Link

Does white privilege exist? You're damn right it does and anyone who thinks different is either stupid, naive, or both.

On the flipside, Is the term "white privilege" used by certain people as a bludgeon of guilt and shame? You're damn right it does and anyone who thinks it doesn't constantly get used that way is either stupid, naive, or both.

No I'm sorry I'm not. But I'm planning on googling it. My assumption right now is it has something to do with what people are blindly assuming I'm saying. I will find out tho soon.

I feel like we're making progress. The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know jack. Or to quote Aristotle "The more you know, the more you know you don't know"

That's cold dude... I thought that guy was coming at you from a respectful place. He was calling you out but he was respectful about it. You put your whataboutism out there with your past. His has no lessor value. I'm not sure to what extent he's asking you 'acknowledge' anything from that other guy as he is just pointing out how you've been going about conversing with others. I'm not sure if most folks expect you to be Mr Rodgers but you've noticeably flipped a switch with how your speaking to others though and I can see what he means. It's pretty off putting.

Not sorry. This is me. You're free to not like me. I'm here with a name and a face. No hiding.

I want going to post, but this is hysterically sad. This site is doomed. Rob should be banned for starting this. The stupidity on this thread is why this nation is in the shape it's in. I wish I didn't believe some of you are serious. God help the US. God help Hawkeye Nation. Iowa has maybe the most covert racists in the US... Thank you for Representative King to the world.

Iowa is way low on college degrees and the anecdotal evidence here is epic.

North, couple of things. First the trauma will be with your kids forever. It's a cold fact and I know personally. 2nd, relations with significant others of your kid.... Much harder than raising kids. You wont won't see it coming especially this generation.

PC. How could you be so ignorant?

Fry... Get over your ex.

Rob....you are afraid to take some on here on and it is loud.

Hawkeye Nation self destruction over Covid 19 and racism.

That is all.

IT'S NOT THEIR HOME!!!

GERMANY ISN'T MY HOME.

WHATEVER EURO COUNTRY YOU CAME FROM ISN'T YOUR HOME.

AMERICA IS THEIR HOME. WHAT DON'T YOU GRASP?

THE FAMILIES OF BLACK MEN AND WOMEN HAVE BEEN HERE HUNDREDS OF YEARS MORE THAN YOURS...
Isn't that exactly what I said? And I'm a huge believer that where you are born is home. I used to always get annoyed at people who say "I'm German" or whatever. No dude, you're American. That was always what I said. I've sofned on that stance after being around a huge irish family who consider Ireland home. I still feel more like you on that. I've just become more aware through learning and experience over the years. Maybe if you would educate yourself more on the subject of some people's heritage being more important to them than others you can stop using huge font to demean their idea.

I want going to post, but this is hysterically sad. This site is doomed. Rob should be banned for starting this. The stupidity on this thread is why this nation is in the shape it's in. I wish I didn't believe some of you are serious. God help the US. God help Hawkeye Nation. Iowa has maybe the most covert racists in the US... Thank you for Representative King to the world.

Iowa is way low on college degrees and the anecdotal evidence here is epic.

North, couple of things. First the trauma will be with your kids forever. It's a cold fact and I know personally. 2nd, relations with significant others of your kid.... Much harder than raising kids. You wont won't see it coming especially this generation.

PC. How could you be so ignorant?

Fry... Get over your ex.

Rob....you are afraid to take some on here on and it is loud.

Hawkeye Nation self destruction over Covid 19 and racism.

That is all.
Ignorant how? On how few people would take advantage of a program meant for good? I agree, I was ignorant on that. Fortunately fry set me straight with one quick post that had some logic in it. Rob also retweeted a video of something I took stuff from. I do learn and expand. Some people are too hard headed or angry to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts