Hawkeyes Past, Present, Future Share Feelings on Racial Injustice

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my worst memories happened in the Minneapolis area. I along with three other men were attending software training classes. One of our group was a immigrant from Nigeria and his character was and is impeccable. As we exited our car and were approaching the office building a woman also entering the building became filled with fright and orally expressed her fear. The only behavior on our part was that we may have been talking loudly, no profanity or comments about her. My coworker from Nigeria expressed that her reaction was probably because of him. I felt so bad. I've carried that memory for 20 years now.

Today I have three grand children whose mother's family are from India. Last fall my son sent us a copy of a letter addressed to all parent in the school district about Indian students being singled out for what I will say as harsh intolerance. Obviously the school district became proactive to stop the intolerance but the damage to the psych of their mother was done.

Regardless of race no policeman should be using fixation during a stop and no policeman observing it should stand back passively and watch. It's too bad this happened because it makes the lives of all police officers more difficult to protect and to serve.

The scenes coming out of these protests are incredible. Just, literally insane. This may be the polices coming to Jesus moment.

As to the officers who stood by. If three guys went in to rob a liquor store and one of them shot the owner, what would the other two be charged with?

Im glad former athletes are using their voices. Good for them. They can have very powerful influence.

As for the police, there are bad apples just like in every industry. The thing that bothers me is the post 9/11 militarization of police depts, and the tactics police are using all across the country. There are countless stories of the police shooting at the press, shooting at people on their front porch after saying "Light them up", a video of a police officer pushing down an elderly man with a cane using his riot shield, etc. Imagine what some of them do off camera that no one sees?

This isnt just Minneapolis, this is everywhere. We need to reform our system of policing. And we need to protect all citizens. Black people have sucha deplorable situation that most of us really have no idea how bad it is.

I hope all athletes step up and lead this nation for reform. Its obvious people miss sports, what if all athletes struck until reform happened? Would that change the world? Wasnt there a movie about that and nuclear weapons? That was a great movie.

EDIT: The movie was Amazing Grace and Chuck. Awesome movie and for rent on Prime.

That "light em up" video was ridiculous. Hey idiots, that is the exact reason people are protesting. If you're a cop and you live for those moments, then you shouldn't be allowed to be a cop.

As to the officers who stood by. If three guys went in to rob a liquor store and one of them shot the owner, what would the other two be charged with?
I think the most damning part of the video is how often, and how many people, were straight up telling the cops the shape Floyd was in. Thos isn't a situation where something happened without people noticing. There was ample opportunity to acknowledge what was going on and stop it.

I've been a first hand witness to police brutality twice in my life and both instances still get my blood boiling when I think about them. FWIW, both instances were white cops to white people.

I've been a first hand witness to police brutality twice in my life and both instances still get my blood boiling when I think about them. FWIW, both instances were white cops to white people.
Same here, white on white in Normal, IL and white on white in Champaign, IL.

I see the pain in black peoples' faces and I don't blame them for being outraged or for anyone to be outraged for that matter. But just a few thoughts.

Did this bad cop also rough up white guys like that? I think that's relevant.
If this happened to a white guy, would CNN be covering it? Honestly, I don't think so.
Do protesters believe this kind of thing is happening more often than it really is? I get it though, it's still bad and it still happens but just trying to start an honest discussion. The data doesn't support that it does.
Weekend before last, 10 black people were shot and killed in Chicago, yet nobody seems to care. Why? To me, those kind of shootings represent a greater societal problem than this situation.

Well, I'm still sorry about the George Floyd death. Those are just honest questions but his death was still a great injustice, no doubt.

Tyler Cook had me cringe with something he went on to say. In that same thread he'd wrote "I'm not saying I support rioting and looting, but I also can't say I blame people for doing it"...

Myself I'm not one for attempting to justify/rationalize rioting & looting to any degree... At best I feel they're immature adults/teenagers throwing temper tantrums for not getting their way. It's dangerous and hurts innocent people. It totally under minds the credibility they have towards their cause. Violence begets violence and I don't see how that solves anything...

Racism is a systemic problem in this country. Some of your posts illuminate the foundation of it. The whataboutism and deflection from the core issues need to change. It’s going to take a lot of effort and time to change it, but it must happen. It’s so ingrained in so many folks, they may never change. But the push for equality must intensify now so that future generations may live in peace without systemic racism.

If you have an issue with Tyler Cook’s reaction, read Kareem’s column LINK

DL coach Kelvin Bell shared this

People can choose to ignore the core issues here. That’s happened from the beginning of time in this country. But change is coming. The marginalized have had enough.

Part of the problem is Qualified Immunity. Police basically get away with crime. A congressman is putting a bill forward to end this. It will allow people to get relief if police violate their constitutional rights.

A step in the right direction.

Racism is a systemic problem in this country. Some of your posts illuminate the foundation of it. The whataboutism and deflection from the core issues need to change. It’s going to take a lot of effort and time to change it, but it must happen. It’s so ingrained in so many folks, they may never change. But the push for equality must intensify now so that future generations may live in peace without systemic racism.

People can choose to ignore the core issues here. That’s happened from the beginning of time in this country. But change is coming. The marginalized have had enough.
Great column from Kareem IMO, thanks for sharing - exactly how I feel. I can't relate and am not for violence or looting, but I find it hard to blame them.

"Yes, protests often are used as an excuse for some to take advantage, just as when fans celebrating a hometown sports team championship burn cars and destroy storefronts. I don’t want to see stores looted or even buildings burn. But African Americans have been living in a burning building for many years, choking on the smoke as the flames burn closer and closer. Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible — even if you’re choking on it — until you let the sun in. Then you see it’s everywhere. As long as we keep shining that light, we have a chance of cleaning it wherever it lands. But we have to stay vigilant, because it’s always still in the air."

I'll break out some of the comments like the one from Kelvin Bell and Brad Banks because I know folks won't take the time to go through all of the reaction in the story linked in the OP.

Lisa Bluder, Luka Garza, Megan Gustafson, Abdul Hodge, Colin Cole, Cara Consuegra, Matt Hankins, Jovon Johnson, Tyler Goodson, Gabe Olaseni, Christian Kirksey, Nicholas Baer, Dane Belton, LeVar Woods, Anthony Herron, Toren Young, Mark Weisman, Ladell Betts, Jonathan Babineaux, Jaleel Johnson, Peter Jok, Spencer Petras, Chauncey Golston, Josh Jackson, Ally Disterhoft, Ivory Kelly-Martin, Djimon Colbert and Greg Stokes are among the people in the Hawkeye community speaking out that I included in the article. And I'm adding continuously.

Here's a '21 recruit

Tyler Cook had me cringe with something he went on to say. In that same thread he'd wrote "I'm not saying I support rioting and looting, but I also can't say I blame people for doing it"...

Myself I'm not one for attempting to justify/rationalize rioting & looting to any degree... At best I feel they're immature adults/teenagers throwing temper tantrums for not getting their way. It's dangerous and hurts innocent people. It totally under minds the credibility they have towards their cause. Violence begets violence and I don't see how that solves anything...

I don't think looting, burning down businesses, assaulting shop owners, slitting the throats of cops lends legitimacy to what Tyler Cook said. It's gone beyond honoring George Floyd now. If we really believe that that kind of behavior is "understandable" then there's really something wrong with us.

We can both decry and work to change the outrage as to what happened to George Floyd and, at the same time, condemn these activities of rioters. It's not either-or.

I don't think looting, burning down businesses, assaulting shop owners, slitting the throats of cops lends legitimacy to what Tyler Cook said. It's gone beyond honoring George Floyd now. If we really believe that that kind of behavior is "understandable" then there's really something wrong with us.

We can both decry and work to change the outrage as to what happened to George Floyd and, at the same time, condemn these activities of rioters. It's not either-or.
You sure it's the protesters doing this? There are other forces involved in stoking the flames and trying to disrupt the cause.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...olent-outside-agitators-minnesota/5291658002/

I read Kareems article. I just can't get down with some of that. When I read things that attempt to justify rioting and looting there's just no 'buts' to it for me. I understand the why. I do. I don't agree with that making it ok to do because of it. That is exactly the sort of thing we teach our kids to not do early on. Throwing temper tantrums because you aren't getting your way (regardless of if you are right or wrong) isn't the way to do it. A lot of the rioting. (not all of it) isn't even due to Floyds death but just opportunistic anarchists having an excuse to run around because they think they can get away with it.

Harming innocent people doesn't fly with me. Just because the damage of property and even physical violence that doesn't result in death isn't as bad as the racial issues going on doesn't make it something to just excuse away. Compounding the problem by adding more problems doesn't work. 1 step forward 3 steps back... I don't know the right answers. Wish I did. But I know it's not that.

I read Kareems article. I just can't get down with some of that. When I read things that attempt to justify rioting and looting there's just no 'buts' to it for me. I understand the why. I do. I don't agree with that making it ok to do because of it. That is exactly the sort of thing we teach our kids to not do early on. Throwing temper tantrums because you aren't getting your way (regardless of if you are right or wrong) isn't the way to do it. A lot of the rioting. (not all of it) isn't even due to Floyds death but just opportunistic anarchists having an excuse to run around because they think they can get away with it.

Harming innocent people doesn't fly with me. Just because the damage of property and even physical violence that doesn't result in death isn't as bad as the racial issues going on doesn't make it something to just excuse away. Compounding the problem by adding more problems doesn't work. 1 step forward 3 steps back... I don't know the right answers. Wish I did. But I know it's not that.

If you're focusing on the riots and looting, ignoring what Kareem and MLK are saying, you're part of the problem. It's deflection from the root issue and whataboutism.

And Kap tried to protest peacefully. Were'd that get him?

Maybe if we taught our kids not to be racists, we wouldn't be in this position.

If you're focusing on the riots and looting, ignoring what Kareem and MLK are saying, you're part of the problem. It's deflection from the root issue and whataboutism.

And Kap tried to protest peacefully. Were'd that get him?

Maybe if we taught our kids not to be racists, we wouldn't be in this position.

Should we be ignoring the rioting and looting? Easy for one to say if they aren't a victim of it right? Are we not capable of saying rioting and looting is bad. Really bad. And racism and cops killing blacks for no reason is worse? Because some of us adults are able to walk and chew gum the same time. It's not deflecting anything for me. Maybe the media plays into that and sure I get that as well. But that sure doesn't mean that I do.

I feel racism is a taught thing. I don't think we are born with hate in our hearts for others only based on what they look like. We've had generations of folks fail in trying to get rid of it. We have to keep trying though. It's a hell of a lot tougher to change the hearts and minds of adults then it is to teach kids right and wrong.

As far as Kap goes he had other agendas and things going on that were often brushed aside but shouldn't have been. I never had a problem with him protesting. But I think the other owners in the league did (his own didn't seem to) and maybe the TV networks did. But if you're trying to say he could have been in the league or still could I'd disagree because Kap himself wasn't willing to be a backup or take a pay cut which were his only realistic options... Kap was making more money with Nike and other endorsments being a martyr that he decided to stick with that. Remember the guy lost his starting job to Blaine Freaking Gabbart with SF his last yr... He wasn't hurt just stunk. So the market for him just wasn't all that great then and every yr since he just got older and further away from the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.