Hawkeyes Past, Present, Future Share Feelings on Racial Injustice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest discussion.

Those two words have been tossed around quite a bit in this thread and just in general. When I hear those two words I think of people like CP87, someone just willing to listen. Not to sway, not to justify, not to rationalize, but to listen.
If everyone else in this thread, and life, was like that, we would be better off.

Reactions: trj
Reacting to The Talk post earlier.

I tell my daughters to put their hands outside the car window with there license in between their fingers hands down and their insurance card in their other hand fingers palms down.

We are not black and would hate to have that Talk. But I still err on the side of caution.

Did Matt Hankins post something on social media about the Iowa coaches? Not sure if it's ISU fans trolling or if he actually did. I don't Twitter or Instagram otherwise I'd look for myself.

I think that’s kind of the point, though. It’s one sure fire way to get everyone’s attention. One of MLK’s quotes that’s being referenced a lot these days is, “Riots are the language of the unheard.” I’m not going to get in a debate about whether rioting is justified or not, but I think you can get the point regardless. That’s a statement that says—extreme measures might sometimes be the only way to be heard after civil disobedience hasn’t worked.

Kneeling at a sporting event is a 100% guaranteed way to be seen and make people know what you think. Im not going to lie, I didn’t like the idea of kneeling before because I felt that it disrespected the country I dearly love. But fortunately or unfortunately, this whole thing has made me reconsider my views and I realize that it’s not about that and no one k relying ever intended it that way. I was (and still am to a large degree) ignorant to what black people face every day. I certainly don’t know what it feels like to drive or walk around nervous all the time about getting stopped or pulled over. I’ve always known there were big problems, but I personally brushed it off because living and working where I do I have almost zero interaction with anyone who’s not white. And that’s my own failure/laziness for not thinking about it until now.
It has an impact, no doubt.

I get the intent and the desire to take full advantage of that exposure. It's impactful. The "Black Power" salutes on the podium of the ' 68 Mexico City olympics is an iconic image that's burned into our collective memories.

Perhaps it's selfish, but to me sports should be a place where we put aside differences and come together, but, yeah, I get it.

The biggest problem with kneeling during the anthem is it divides people more instead of bringing them together. That lady who came up with the wave needs to think of a better way to spread the message.

I’m not mad and I don’t feel any animosity. @InGoodCo was (or is) mad and let it rip. Hot button topic for both of us and shit happens. I’ve never said I haven’t started shit before, so there’s no way I’ll hold it against someone else.

If he stays mad or really thinks I hate black people, or whatever, I can’t change it. He seems like a dude you could trust to tell a secret or watch your kids or be alone with your wife, after that it’s just nitpicking. He and I don’t agree on the type of person I am and that’s ok. I certainly don’t agree with everyone I come across day to day but by and large they’re mostly good people.

Dude, I tried to take the high road, you wouldn’t let me and used a bunch of rhetoric language that you knew would illicit a response. You said let it rip, I did. I have no problem being civil with you. We’ve managed to have that for several years despite differences like your racist remarks on this site. I don’t want to cause Rob the strife. I don’t want to create waves and headaches. 99% of my interactions on HN are positive. I want harmony dude, you’re exhausting. You basically called me a pussy cause I wouldn’t come out and call you a racist. Well no shit? I’m not here to fight with some bigot on line, but if your gonna push, I’m here for it

Last edited:
Man Drew Brees is getting torn up. That's my biggest problem with what's going on with the left. They preach being tolerant but are so darn intolerant. He has something that is really important to him. Can't the left tolerate that? He said everything right but one sentence "I'll never agree with people disrespecting the flag". He didn't say don't do it. He didn't say I hate people who do it. He just says he doesn't agree with it. Can't both sides say "this is important to me but I respect what's important to you"? If Drew doesn't respect people's decision to do it, then he does need to talk to some people who feel strongly about it and educate himself on why they feel they need to. After talking to them, he still doesn't have to agree with them, he just needs to respect where they are coming from. If people don't respect his decision not to agree with it, maybe they need to talk more to him and educate themselves on why it's so important to him. Both sides coming together and respecting everybody's feelings instead of one side completely abandoning themselves to meet all the way at the other side.

And just a note, "sides" in my last sentence means left and right. Or more specifically, people who don't want to budge at all and people who do. It doesn't mean black and white, because there are plenty of people on both of those sides who are more than willing to meet in the middle. I just had to clarify that for the people on the left who like to pretend all black people think the same.

Can't the left tolerate that?

No. To run a successful ideological subversion campaign, you cannot tolerate any deviation. Peer pressure must force conformity. Any failure to conform must be met with swift consequences to prevent others from thinking they can step out of line.

Curious ... has anyone else had to have this 'talk' with their kid when they went off to college (see entire thread). This is an actual former NFL player discussing this about his son as he headed off to Ohio State.

Fantastic post. This is the perfect example that white privilege exists and I'm sure its something the majority of us have never even thought of or had to address. It can't be ignored. There is absolutely no reason why this conversation should ever have to take place in today's society.

Last edited:
Well, the past 3 months, there have been no sports and no movies being made, yet the police brutality continues. I believe the kneeling worked (even though Kaepernick was basically shut out of the league - see Mike Glennon). 3 years later, and the kneeling is still a hot button issue (see responses to Drew Brees today by his receivers and LeBron James). It had a lasting affect and would be even more powerful if it made a comeback.

However, I could see the linking of arms by the entire team could help (some teams did that previously like the Rodgers post) but it was a one time gesture last time. This time, we need actually conversation and changes that occur. Some of the posts about the 8 policy changes that could help limit the violence by police is another place to start the discussion.

I'm so tired of that nonsense. Kap made his bed. For the sake of argument lets say he was good enough to start for some teams. (His last yr in the league he lost his starting job to Blane Gabbart what else does one need to know about his play he wasn't hurt) All the drama he caused himself not only the protesting but with how he was pro Fidel Castro advocating for the killing of cops on his socks that made him untouchable as much as anything. Not so much the kneeling. I think there were some other things too I can't remember off the top of my head. Then take into account his contract demands and that even if he'd have been offered he'd have turned it down. You have to take everything into account not just the kneeling when talking about him not getting back into the league. Context context context.

I'm so tired of that nonsense. Kap made his bed. For the sake of argument lets say he was good enough to start for some teams. (His last yr in the league he lost his starting job to Blane Gabbart what else does one need to know about his play he wasn't hurt) All the drama he caused himself not only the protesting but with how he was pro Fidel Castro advocating for the killing of cops on his socks that made him untouchable as much as anything. Not so much the kneeling. I think there were some other things too I can't remember off the top of my head. Then take into account his contract demands and that even if he'd have been offered he'd have turned it down. You have to take everything into account not just the kneeling when talking about him not getting back into the league. Context context context.

Agreed. For me, I had/still have no problem with kneeling. I'm a veteran and I fought for the ability for common citizens to have the freedom to air their grievances in a peaceful way. That's what Kap did. But when it devolved into "Cops are Pigs", encouraging violence against police, espousing a communist agenda....then he lost me.

If we can't find a way to CONNECT with one another, there will never be change and we will continue to become more and more fractured as people dig in their heels. If we can't have mutual empathy and understanding, nothing meaningful will ever get done.

Agreed. For me, I had/still have no problem with kneeling. I'm a veteran and I fought for the ability for common citizens to have the freedom to air their grievances in a peaceful way. That's what Kap did. But when it devolved into "Cops are Pigs", encouraging violence against police, espousing a communist agenda....then he lost me.

If we can't find a way to CONNECT with one another, there will never be change and we will continue to become more and more fractured as people dig in their heels. If we can't have mutual empathy and understanding, nothing meaningful will ever get done.
Have you ever heard of Yuri Bezmenov and seen his speech on the KGB's implementation of ideological subversion that he did back in 1984? If not, I suggest you look into it. There are clearly people out there with a vested interest in maintaining a highly separated US population. I'm not saying the Russians are behind this, but it is important for people to realized that the techniques exist to do it and the groundwork has certainly been laid.

I would agree ... some of Kap's over the top rhetoric (socks included) resulted in him being too toxic for teams to sign him. He does need to live with the consequences of his actions. And, in the past couple of years, I don't believe he has really been interested in playing anymore - just the publicity ... like his 'tryout' last year.

However, I don't think that means that the meaning of his protest needs to be diminished by that. What he was trying to point out is still an issue and continues to be a lightning rod in society and the NFL. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as the sports come back into our lives.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts