Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

That's awesome! This is going to be a great team going forward for the rest of the season. With the offense now breaking through, and the defense holding teams to under 20 points per game. This is a winning formula for sure. I like how this utilizes it's talent at wide receiver and tight end. They also mix in run and pass very well. If I were a highly rated recruit at any position I would to commit and be a part of this offense without hesitation.
26214ffd272a71bd9ff1817811725099.gif

Maybe... just maybe, Brian will go to dad and say, 'OK, dad, we tried it your way and how's that workin' for ya? I'm done listening to your 'play it safe' BS. We're going for it from now on!"

So what you're saying is there'll be no breakthrough? Cause Iowa is not going to sniff 7 wins this year.

FWIW, I sincerely hope I am 100% wrong. I just haven't seen anything this year to say otherwise. Knowing KF thinks the offense is ready to breakthrough tells me the Hawks will be running the same old boring tired plays with the same horrible results. That won't bode well for the many wins.

I think I know what "playing not to lose" means, and don't disagree that it seems like how Iowa often plays the game, but how to explain going for it on 4th down (even though they had a procedure penalty that knocked them back 5 yards) or kicking an onside kick in the 2nd quarter or running the fake field goal at the 10 (?) yard line or running a fake punt? Maybe there aren't enough of those in a game. Or maybe he doesn't try them in games where the opponent is "better", so it's noticeable. Again, I understand the term, I am struggling with when it applies and when it doesn't.
Point taken but these are one offs. I think most fans are frustrated with the fact that 95% of us can call the second down play based upon what happens on first down. If the casual fan can recognize the patterns and formations does Brian or Kirk really not think that a professional defensive coordinator can't? The problem I have with the KF offense is it requires PERFECT execution to be smooth and successful. Unfortunately that's not realistic for any team up to and including Alabama. These are kids, mistakes are going to happen. It's Brian and Kirks job to build in enough buffers to keep the offense moving when execution isn't on point. Look at Wisconsin -- same talent, same style of offense even if the blocking schemes are a bit different. They don't execute error free all of the time and yet they win a whole heck of a lot more. The play calling and schemes need to evolve...the question is are the Ferentz boys the right duo to make that happen? Prior results say no but I've been wrong before...maybe once.

I don’t care how many they have in the box. We have to have the attitude that we’re going to run it,” Ross said.
How in the ever loving hell could you possibly make it any easier on opposing defensive coordinators than to come right out as a team and say, “What we are doing has not worked and is not working, but we are unequivocally committed to continuing to do the same thing, no matter how long the odds become of us succeeding?”

Someone please tell me how you make yourself any easier to defend than that right there. I challenge you to.

I'm sure there's someone out there that thinks their gonna see Bigfoot this weekend too...........

what kind of electric kool aid acid are you drinking Howe? i hope the offense can explode for points but i havent seen rhe coaching and pla calling yet.

the offense has a long way to go
I suggest you find another team for which to root. You've cashed in your chips on KF. He's not going anywhere.

wtf kind of reply is that . you are being a homer to a below avg offense head coached by a guy who was akin to offensive coordinator of an nfl team. granted the ravens then were offensively challenged just like todays hawks.

i cant believe these coaches cant find a few passing plays that work.

They play not to lose instead of paying to win. Everyone wants to win and they give their all. The coaches call plays that they feel will put them in the best position to win. But the mindset of playing teams to keeping it close does not generate an attacking approach of the offensive players and are almost hesitant to make plays. Running the ball consistently up the gut with a back that is best outside of the tackles. Running the ball on 3rd and long to avoid a mistake. This shows that they just don't want to make a mistake to lose the game and try to keep it close. This results in dropped passes, a running back that is focused on making a big run because he has to. They opened up against NW and the first two drives made it look like the offense was breaking through. A good mix of plays that started with the passing game. Then when they didn't produce points we see the same old running between the tackles, running on 3rd and long with the quarterback. Against ISU they had to score to stay in the game and they did. NS made big throws with guys making big plays. They are a better team than NW and MSU but playing not to lose creates self doubt and leads to mistakes. The tools and skills are there, they just need to take advantage and change the mindset. This mindset will keep them in games with the likes of PSU, OSU and WIS but will also keep them close to NW, MN, PUR ILL and everyone else that takes the field with them.
Have you even watched an Iowa game this year or is this a criticism of the 2012 team? Let's see. We were leading the nation in 4th down conversions there for a while. We even faked a field goal with the holder out wide lol and threw it to Eppy. We had an onside kick that was completely unnecessary. Hayden Fry used to run the ball all the time on 3rd and long to so I guess he was playing to lose to. Wadley is a threat to score if he gets it in space like he may on 3rd and long.

Have you even watched an Iowa game this year or is this a criticism of the 2012 team? Let's see. We were leading the nation in 4th down conversions there for a while. We even faked a field goal with the holder out wide lol and threw it to Eppy. We had an onside kick that was completely unnecessary. Hayden Fry used to run the ball all the time on 3rd and long to so I guess he was playing to lose to. Wadley is a threat to score if he gets it in space like he may on 3rd and long.

we had to do all of that because we were getting our ass kicked by illinois....it was embarrassing, basically cheating.. fake punts and on side kicks against illinois

what kind of electric kool aid acid are you drinking Howe? i hope the offense can explode for points but i havent seen rhe coaching and pla calling yet.

the offense has a long way to go

wtf kind of reply is that . you are being a homer to a below avg offense head coached by a guy who was akin to offensive coordinator of an nfl team.
I think @RobHowe is just telling you that no matter how miserable you get or how much you bitch about it, Ferentz is going nowhere. I’m not a Ferentz fan but the same stuff over and over about how bad he sucks isn’t going to change anything. You have two choices.

One is to stop taking Iowa football seriously and be less miserable which is what I’ve done. For the first season in as long as I can remember I won’t go to a game. Living 5 hours away a game costs me about $500 all in with tickets for my kid and I, food, gas, and a hotel, and I won’t pay that to go watch the stuff that’s on the field right now. I’m not mad about it and I hope they start winning, but I’m “meh” about Hawkeye football for the first time ever and I actually feel ok about it.

The other choice is to be miserable and scream and bitch and whine about KF till you’re voice is gone. Day after day.

Neither one is going to any good whatsoever because Kirk Ferentz is here for the duration and nothing you or I do is going to change that.

--------Surprised this article wasn't met with more positive feedback. Bunch of Debbie Downers.

Seriously, name ONE thing positive about this stale program....there will be no turnaround next season. Jon keeps mentioning the schedule next year as being a major reason....we saw that fools gold in 2015 up until we finished 0-2 against real competition.

I think @RobHowe is just telling you that no matter how miserable you get or how much you bitch about it, Ferentz is going nowhere. I’m not a Ferentz fan but the same stuff over and over about how bad he sucks isn’t going to change anything. You have two choices.

One is to stop taking Iowa football seriously and be less miserable which is what I’ve done. For the first season in as long as I can remember I won’t go to a game. Living 5 hours away a game costs me about $500 all in with tickets for my kid and I, food, gas, and a hotel, and I won’t pay that to go watch the stuff that’s on the field right now. I’m not mad about it and I hope they start winning, but I’m “meh” about Hawkeye football for the first time ever and I actually feel ok about it.

The other choice is to be miserable and scream and bitch and whine about KF till you’re voice is gone. Day after day.

Neither one is going to any good whatsoever because Kirk Ferentz is here for the duration and nothing you or I do is going to change that.

did you read a book on stoicism?

we had to do all of that because we were getting our ass kicked by illinois....it was embarrassing, basically cheating.. fake punts and on side kicks against illinois
Is it playing not to lose or cheating? Let's get the story straight. Also the fake field goal was against MSU.

Surprised this article wasn't met with more positive feedback. Bunch of Debbie Downers.

Seeing is believing. I have been hooked on the hawks since I was 7 years old in 1958. Parents took me to a febasw games over those golden years including a close circuit game at old KRNT theater at Ohio State around 1960.

I do not take bashing this offense lightly but I cant believe how lame they were in the second half last week. First possession and I think they go on 4th and 7 from inside the 30. I know it is a long fg but cmon try to kick it.

I want to see another national championship that I barely remember in 1959 or 1960.

Latest posts