Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

Surprised this article wasn't met with more positive feedback. Bunch of Debbie Downers.

We scored 10 against MSU, we scored 10 against NW. We do the same things over and over and when we do make a positive change we dont do that positive change anymore. We go back to the stuff that doesnt work.

Saying Im going to win a million dollars, doesnt make it so.

They play not to lose instead of paying to win. Everyone wants to win and they give their all. The coaches call plays that they feel will put them in the best position to win. But the mindset of playing teams to keeping it close does not generate an attacking approach of the offensive players and are almost hesitant to make plays. Running the ball consistently up the gut with a back that is best outside of the tackles. Running the ball on 3rd and long to avoid a mistake. This shows that they just don't want to make a mistake to lose the game and try to keep it close. This results in dropped passes, a running back that is focused on making a big run because he has to. They opened up against NW and the first two drives made it look like the offense was breaking through. A good mix of plays that started with the passing game. Then when they didn't produce points we see the same old running between the tackles, running on 3rd and long with the quarterback. Against ISU they had to score to stay in the game and they did. NS made big throws with guys making big plays. They are a better team than NW and MSU but playing not to lose creates self doubt and leads to mistakes. The tools and skills are there, they just need to take advantage and change the mindset. This mindset will keep them in games with the likes of PSU, OSU and WIS but will also keep them close to NW, MN, PUR ILL and everyone else that takes the field with them.

Of course the players say they believe they're close to breaking through. I'm going to presume best intentions and also believe that they mean it. I'm going to further presume and believe that they're going to act on it. Finally, I'm going to presume and believe that they're going to actually be successful at it.

I need help.

They play not to lose instead of paying to win. Everyone wants to win and they give their all. The coaches call plays that they feel will put them in the best position to win. But the mindset of playing teams to keeping it close does not generate an attacking approach of the offensive players and are almost hesitant to make plays. Running the ball consistently up the gut with a back that is best outside of the tackles. Running the ball on 3rd and long to avoid a mistake. This shows that they just don't want to make a mistake to lose the game and try to keep it close. This results in dropped passes, a running back that is focused on making a big run because he has to. They opened up against NW and the first two drives made it look like the offense was breaking through. A good mix of plays that started with the passing game. Then when they didn't produce points we see the same old running between the tackles, running on 3rd and long with the quarterback. Against ISU they had to score to stay in the game and they did. NS made big throws with guys making big plays. They are a better team than NW and MSU but playing not to lose creates self doubt and leads to mistakes. The tools and skills are there, they just need to take advantage and change the mindset. This mindset will keep them in games with the likes of PSU, OSU and WIS but will also keep them close to NW, MN, PUR ILL and everyone else that takes the field with them.
I think I know what "playing not to lose" means, and don't disagree that it seems like how Iowa often plays the game, but how to explain going for it on 4th down (even though they had a procedure penalty that knocked them back 5 yards) or kicking an onside kick in the 2nd quarter or running the fake field goal at the 10 (?) yard line or running a fake punt? Maybe there aren't enough of those in a game. Or maybe he doesn't try them in games where the opponent is "better", so it's noticeable. Again, I understand the term, I am struggling with when it applies and when it doesn't.

Iowa's offense has been marred by inconsistency this season. The Hawkeyes think they're close to breaking through:

LINK

Rob, you know this statement from Iowa is going to get some responses, correct?

The only way this offense breaks through is when KF is no longer the head coach. His philosophy is what it is and has only changed in that he's more conservative than he's ever been.

The coaching staff is delusional if they think most Iowa fans believe this crap sandwich they're trying to feed us.

Rob, you know this statement from Iowa is going to get some responses, correct?

The only way this offense breaks through is when KF is no longer the head coach. His philosophy is what it is and has only changed in that he's more conservative than he's ever been.

The coaching staff is delusional if they think most Iowa fans believe this crap sandwich they're trying to feed us.

I suggest you find another team for which to root. You've cashed in your chips on KF. He's not going anywhere.

I suggest you find another team for which to root. You've cashed in your chips on KF. He's not going anywhere.

Trust me. I know he's going to be in Iowa City a while. But the facts are the facts.

Luckily I live out of state and have several options to follow and I do on any given Saturday. I even flipped back and forth between ISU and the Iowa game. Can tell you directly ISU is so much more fun to watch it's not even close.

But growing up an Iowa fan they'll always be #1 for me regardless of the coach. He will not dictate my allegiance.

I've been an Iowa fan MUCH longer than KF's been there, so I reserve the right to call his philosophy what it is and it's boring and now delusional.

Last edited:
At some point...someone has to take the keys away from dad even though he thinks he can still drive...it is called leadership....dynamic...bold...unlike KF coaching....

Are there any dynamic leaders in IC?

I was kidding. I wasn't surprised. ;)

I get it. It's about results now. Hawks have to walk to the walk instead of talk the talk. I'm hoping they're as close as they think. We'll find out.
"fixing" the offense against Minnesota only matters if it stays fixed against OSU and Wisconsin. I don't think anyone's in the mood for a better offense against a poor team like Minnesota, only to get shut down by OSU. I can hear the post game presser comments now "Well, we thought we took a step forward against Minnesota but we took a few steps back against a very good OSU team..."

Is this for real? I'm still sleeping, I have to be. We will not score 20 points Saturday and we will barely escape with a W, and the captain will tell us in his post game what a hard fought game it was while Fleck does cartwheels on a missed field goal to beat Iowa....

This is what drives me the craziest about KF and his playing offense not to lose. It sends a horrible message to the offensive players. I believe it also hinders the ability to recruit good skill position players on the offensive side of the ball. What highly recruited WR would want to play for a KF offense? I wouldn't. I'd rather play for an FCS program that likes to move the ball aggressively.

That's awesome! This is going to be a great team going forward for the rest of the season. With the offense now breaking through, and the defense holding teams to under 20 points per game. This is a winning formula for sure. I like how this utilizes it's talent at wide receiver and tight end. They also mix in run and pass very well. If I were a highly rated recruit at any position I would to commit and be a part of this offense without hesitation.

Last edited:

Latest posts