Hawkeye Fans: You SUCK!!

no capitulation by iowa. i just re-watched the 2nd half. between the 8:22 (iowa down 11) and 5:35 (iowa down 14) marks of the game, iowa forced msu into 2 shot clock violations . in the last 6:30 of the game, iowa was only outscored 11-8.

so no, i don't see any give up or capitulation. they missed a lot of shots and had some dumb turnovers and kriener needs to understand that when he's coming off the bench, if he picks up quick fouls in the 1st half that send him to the bench, he's not only screwing himself over, but potentially garza (stamina) as well. i wouldn't be surprised if garza had to sleep most of today. he was gassed.
And re-watching the second half? Wow, admirable. I couldn't do it.

You sound like a buyer of Fran ball. Hopefully it is so.

i am more just starting to believe these kids are giving it their all and more. hopefully, they put this one behind them and move forward. i didn't think we were going to win in the first place and i think most people felt the same. i thought iowa played really well for 25 minutes and good for 10 minutes.

i am more just starting to believe these kids are giving it their all and more. hopefully, they put this one behind them and move forward. i didn't think we were going to win in the first place and i think most people felt the same. i thought iowa played really well for 25 minutes and good for 10 minutes.
Concur. Just not in the same league, yet.

I dont understand the concept of beating the crowd by leaving early. I go to an event, i see it through to the end.
Really so you've never EVER gotten up early to leave a game...no matter HOW bad it is? Sorry you have nothing better to do.

no capitulation by iowa. i just re-watched the 2nd half. between the 8:22 (iowa down 11) and 5:35 (iowa down 14) marks of the game, iowa forced msu into 2 shot clock violations . in the last 6:30 of the game, iowa was only outscored 11-8.

so no, i don't see any give up or capitulation. they missed a lot of shots and had some dumb turnovers and kriener needs to understand that when he's coming off the bench, if he picks up quick fouls in the 1st half that send him to the bench, he's not only screwing himself over, but potentially garza (stamina) as well. i wouldn't be surprised if garza had to sleep most of today. he was gassed.
Kriener is a critical piece to the rotation. He must be more consistent. He was good against Nebraska, Penn State and I think Ohio State. He disappeared against Northwestern, Illinois, and Sparty. We basically went with six men the final fifteen minutes at Northwestern because Kriener wasn't engaged and we got away with it. We cannot wear Tyler and Luka down or we will collapse again in February. Tyler is playing too many minutes as it is, 35 more last night. I'd like to see him close to thirty until we get to conference tournament and postseason play.

What a pathetic showing by the Iowa crowd. No energy even though packed house. A few roars after Iowa makes, but other than that, crickets. People getting up and leaving with 4:00 left.
Some folks tried to get on their feet and get some energy going, and the rest of the blue haired front row crowd just scowled at them and sat on their hands.
Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was very very noticeable. Awful look for any recruits watching.
Don't know where you were sitting, but I thought the place was rocking. It got football noisy after that loose ball thing. Fans like me were giving the defense a standing O time after time. Don't blame the crowd that Iowa didn't know there was a second half. After MSU took away our bigs in the second half there wasn't much to cheer about. The crowd did try to get back into it after the Garza 3 pointer made it a long shot, but back to back to back misses by JBO, Moss, and others put this game in the loss column. I had a 2 hour drive in miserable weather so I left at the 2 min. mark when Fran emptied the bench. I guess that makes me a bad fan.

Both teams made 27 FGs. Iowa took 19 more shots (27-70 for 38.6% compared to 27-51 for 52.9%). Three point shooting (8-19 for 42.1 % for MSU vs 5-24 for 20.8% for Iowa) was big.

The rebounding (42-26 advantage for MSU) was offset by the turnover difference (19-7 advantage for Iowa). FT difference (20-21 for MSU compared to 8-8 for Iowa) figured in as well. Yes, there was more to the story than shooting poorly, but it explains a lot.

Box score --> http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082408

Izzo and their high ranking certainly intimidated the zebras. It is extremely irritating to see how he works the referees. They eat it up and consequently he gets the lion's share of the calls.....

The free throw discrepancy was outrageous. Every other game, I do believe, we had the free throw advantage by far, although not as drastic as last night's stats.....

If we had the same number of FT attempts, however, I still do not believe we would have emerged victorious.....

You have to realize that was 26 years ago, those blue hairs today were in their 30s and 40s back then.

At the 4:02 mark of that video we see a young man sitting on the sideline. I believe it is the very same guy that we all know as Iowa's Spike Lee. I think someone said he was a Dentist.

This is big time true.

I have several friends with kids who went to or are now attending in Iowa City. I'll sometimes flip them shit about the student sections at FB and BB games being weak sauce, and their responses are surprisingly similar. And don't shoot the messenger because this is purely anecdotal.

1) They say that "just about everyone" is from the Chicago metro or a grad student from who knows what country or state, and they're either indifferent or they have loyalty to some other team.

2) They say that the majority of students are lukewarm about sports, and they definitely don't care about it enough to attend when the weather is shitty or there is something else going on downtown, Fortnite, etc.

Guys, whether we like it or not, none of these kids in school right now has experienced much of any success by Iowa sports in their lifetimes, and definitely no sustained success. I'd venture to say that most of us here are between 35-65 years old. We grew up seeing what Hayden Fry, Dan Gable, and Tom Davis did. We saw teams brought back from the dead, we grew up in an era where Iowa missing the NCAA was the exception rather than the rule, and we saw wrestling when it was the single most successful sports team on the planet, bar none.

The kids there now have seen none of that. Zero, zip, bupkis. Incoming freshmen were born smack dab in the middle of Alford's tenure followed by Todd Shitliter...you think their folks were bouncing them on their knees cheering for the Hawks on TV and turning them into fans? F no they weren't. Our parents did, but there's been nothing to cheer for in the past couple decades other than a .590 - .600 winning percentage.

Let's face it people, in the last 25 years we've been pretty irrelevant as college sports goes, and these kids really didn't grow up with a whole lot to get excited about. You think the student sections were rockin' when Sharm Sheuerman or Ray Nagel were coaching?

Get real.

I still believe that we need to allocate 2500 tickets to be sold to the students at $5 a pop. On top of that we should have a $1000 student section raffle for each home game. So a student can go for 5 bucks and has a 1 and 2500 chance of winning a grand.

Like many have pointed out. Iowa has not been good at basketball in quite a while. It is only natural that our youngest fanbase is on life support. If we want to try to capitalize on youthful energy we need to come to terms with where we are as a program and incentivise the shit out of going to a game. Honestly does the money matter? How much revenue is it worth to have a juiced crowd and an actuall home court advantage?

Latest posts