Hawkeye Fans: You SUCK!!

This is big time true.

I have several friends with kids who went to or are now attending in Iowa City. I'll sometimes flip them shit about the student sections at FB and BB games being weak sauce, and their responses are surprisingly similar. And don't shoot the messenger because this is purely anecdotal.

1) They say that "just about everyone" is from the Chicago metro or a grad student from who knows what country or state, and they're either indifferent or they have loyalty to some other team.

2) They say that the majority of students are lukewarm about sports, and they definitely don't care about it enough to attend when the weather is shitty or there is something else going on downtown, Fortnite, etc.

Guys, whether we like it or not, none of these kids in school right now has experienced much of any success by Iowa sports in their lifetimes, and definitely no sustained success. I'd venture to say that most of us here are between 35-65 years old. We grew up seeing what Hayden Fry, Dan Gable, and Tom Davis did. We saw teams brought back from the dead, we grew up in an era where Iowa missing the NCAA was the exception rather than the rule, and we saw wrestling when it was the single most successful sports team on the planet, bar none.

The kids there now have seen none of that. Zero, zip, bupkis. Incoming freshmen were born smack dab in the middle of Alford's tenure followed by Todd Shitliter...you think their folks were bouncing them on their knees cheering for the Hawks on TV and turning them into fans? F no they weren't. Our parents did, but there's been nothing to cheer for in the past couple decades other than a .590 - .600 winning percentage.

Let's face it people, in the last 25 years we've been pretty irrelevant as college sports goes, and these kids really didn't grow up with a whole lot to get excited about. You think the student sections were rockin' when Sharm Sheuerman or Ray Nagel were coaching?

Get real.
So Iowa taxpayers fund the decline of a once supportive fan base? I agree. And it is quite sad. Subsidized apathy.

Yes, foreigners and out of state students "pay" for the education but taxpayers are the ones who pay the heavy load. These interlopers get educated, don't support the school much when they are here, then move away, and the state is on the hook. Meanwhile, Iowa, and others get older and older.

I really hope we don't start shooting more mid range jumpers. Get into the lane or shoot a 3. Mid range is a waste.

What a pathetic showing by the Iowa crowd. No energy even though packed house. A few roars after Iowa makes, but other than that, crickets. People getting up and leaving with 4:00 left.
Some folks tried to get on their feet and get some energy going, and the rest of the blue haired front row crowd just scowled at them and sat on their hands.
Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was very very noticeable. Awful look for any recruits watching.
I must've been watching a different game than you were....that game was way over WAY before 4 minutes left. Good for you for sticking around but after that collapse beat the crowd.

Iowa has a unique situation where we were really good for an entire generation (creating life long fans) then we were average/poor for a couple generations (creating bandwagon fans at best). What that leaves us with is an arena half full of really old people who will be there regardless. Those fans make it miserable for people like me who whenever I'm deciding whether or not to go to a game, lame atmosphere is a huge deciding factor. The good news is, that generation will eventually die off and it will create a lot of empty seats for the better. Then guys like me will start going again.
EFF YOU!

I must've been watching a different game than you were....that game was way over WAY before 4 minutes left. Good for you for sticking around but after that collapse beat the crowd.
I dont understand the concept of beating the crowd by leaving early. I go to an event, i see it through to the end.

Nobody wants to go to womens games. Get over it. I can watch short people play mediocre basketball twice a week in my hometown for $5 a game.

And to be honest, it's the truth about CHA. You went on a rant to end all rants the other day about people not coming to games...

News flash...the atmosphere sucks. Most people don't want to go to a game where they get jawed at by the Geritol Squad for standing up or yelling. Why wouldn't we want a different arena that would actually be conducive to a raucous, loud atmosphere? We don't even fill the one we have. Why cater to the nappers?

Nobody wants to go to womens games. Get over it. I can watch short people play mediocre basketball twice a week in my hometown for $5 a game.

And to be honest, it's the truth about CHA. You went on a rant to end all rants the other day about people not coming to games...

News flash...the atmosphere sucks. Most people don't want to go to a game where they get jawed at by the Geritol Squad for standing up or yelling. Why wouldn't we want a different arena that would actually be conducive to a raucous, loud atmosphere? We don't even fill the one we have. Why cater to the nappers?
You need to read that again. Since you brought short people up it's a riot watching 6ft. 10 or 7 footers miss 2-3 foot shots! Now there's some fine basketball for you! At least I don't want anybody to die to make me happy!

You need to read that again. Since you brought short people up it's a riot watching 6ft. 10 or 7 footers miss 2-3 foot shots! Now there's some fine basketball for you! At least I don't want anybody to die to make me happy!
I don’t want anyone to die. That’s ridiculous, ya SJW.

What’s next on your exaggerations list? You going to tell people I kicked your dog and threw your stuffed animals in the garbage?

Seen a couple comments on Twitter, one by Rob Howe, I believe about how great the atmosphere was last night. If that's true, it sure didn't come across on TV.

Look at the rebounding and FT stats. Last night went beyond shooting poorly.

right. but honestly, there were a lot of in and out, rim-out shots that just as easily couldn't have fallen. some back luck there. but a miss is a miss. they didn't play poorly in that they were getting really good, open looks, but they shot poorly.

Teams that jog back on defense are playing poorly. It is called quitting.

they didn't quit. they got tired to some degree. kriener picking up 2 quick fouls forced fran to use garza and garza got gassed several times. i'm not giving iowa an A performance grade, but i'm not giving them an F either.

bout 7:15, hitting the road here in about an hour. That towns gonna be stupid this weekend.
Already is. My boss has been sending me pictures from the bars and Smith’s Bay. He’s got a house on West and I guess his neighbor’s college kid already got his Bronco stuck trying to drive up the bank from the lake. It’s between two trees and from what I gather they don’t know how to get it out. I’m sure there’s no alcohol involved.

But there will probably be chainsaws involved.

I wouldn't say the TO difference offsets it but I get what you're saying. You have to look at rebounds in context. The huge disparity was in defensive rebounds. We allowed them to get the ball back after most of their misses which equals tons of points. Turnovers don't really translate like that.

Bottom line for me is that they need to start shooting more midrange shots, period. You can't take wing-and-a-prayer shots all game long because if you get cold you're done. Garza can't convert under the hoop most of the time, and if your 3 isn't working, what else is there?

Now if someone is going to say, "Well, we can't hit midrange shots..." they wouldn't necessarily be wrong, but then what the F are we even showing up to the game for? The whole conversation is moot at that point

In the rare time that the three is working, or against total shit teams like Illinois or Penn State everyone looks like the '95 Bulls and I think that clouded fans' vision a little bit with the Hawks. I'm not saying we suck, but we sure as shit should have kept it within 6 or 8 last night.

Iowa took 19 more shots than MSU (and missed them), and MSU had 17 more defensive rebounds, so they rebounded most of the extra shots. It really is that simple.

As far as mid range shots, that's really not the direction the game is going. I agree that making any shot is valuable, but looking at the numbers shows the value. If a player like Bohannon is shooting from three (.376 this year) better than two (.341), then an argument could be made that he should never shoot a two. Now, that's over simplistic because he should not turn down a layup, but the percentages show he is better off shooting overall from three, and the payoff is better.

Also, I know you have mentioned that shooting from 25 feet is harder than 20 feet for most players. However, for Jordan Bohannon to free himself, he probably needs that extra distance. It may not make much sense from a percentage standpoint, but that's really the only move in his arsenal at this point.

they didn't quit. they got tired to some degree. kriener picking up 2 quick fouls forced fran to use garza and garza got gassed several times. i'm not giving iowa an A performance grade, but i'm not giving them an F either.
I am not giving them an F either, C perhaps, they tried, put up a good fight, but were over-matched in talent and coaching. Worn down, capitulation, over.

When I said die off I didnt mean literally. I meant them going to games.

Latest posts