have the players quit

echo44

What do you think?
Watching the game it really seemed that most of the players could care less?
Look at Tyler Cook. I felt he totally played without any effort? I don't know if its just me but he seemed to be playing with an attitude almost pouting?
Same with Moss
Regardless of talent or coaching skills players at this level should play their hearts out every game!
I have played for coaches that I didn't like but my desire to win overcame any personal feelings of dislike. At this level you would hope these athletes have a killer instinct to win..
If I was coaching this team I would be starting people who want to play over those with natural talent.
It also seems our team is whiney when they get fouled. Just play the game!
The season is over, let those with heart play. Send a message
what do you guys think?

Yeah that’s pretty damn obvious some of the players have quit..!

I also know of some season ticket holders that have quit as well and won’t be buying for next year. This season and that effort we are seeing is going to have an impact on Season Tickets next year, no doubt..

They spend more time on twitter than practicing.

Part of the reason I am all for coaches putting social media posting on hold during season.

But there's gotta be something more going with this team, I simply can't believe they don't have the talent to compete. Jok was good, but not That good. It's like every returning player either didn't improve at all, or regressed. It's on Fran, for sure, but it's all gotta be something else...

Part of the reason I am all for coaches putting social media posting on hold during season.

But there's gotta be something more going with this team, I simply can't believe they don't have the talent to compete. Jok was good, but not That good. It's like every returning player either didn't improve at all, or regressed. It's on Fran, for sure, but it's all gotta be something else...

It’s almost like Fran Player Development consists of throwing them into the fire, smacking them on the butt and saying “Good Luck, go gettum Champ”

Yeah that’s pretty damn obvious some of the players have quit..!

I also know of some season ticket holders that have quit as well and won’t be buying for next year. This season and that effort we are seeing is going to have an impact on Season Tickets next year, no doubt..

I would not say quit. Most of the guys who hit the floor are trying. But there is a difference between trying and being totally bought in. This team is for sure, 100% not all on the page. That is developed in practice. Guys just are not completely locked in to being successful on both ends of the floor, sacrificing for one another. I don't know the reason for this. None of us likely ever will, unless Fran opens up about it. My theories:
  • Older guys resent Nunge and Garza being recruited over them. Pemsl has been just plain bad, and Wagner not much better. Kriener is hit and miss. Uhl doesn't play so not a factor.
  • Team thought it was better than it was. Lots of talk on media day on how the experts were overlooking them. Well, the experts had Iowa overrated by quite a bit it turns out.
  • Fran has hit the wall coaching. It's a time/life-consuming job, and the utter lack of attention to detail by Iowa is stunning. Just shocking. Fran's teams were never great on defense, but not this sloppy and unorganized. The defense Iowa is playing is embarrassing. No other way to put it. Iowa looks like Ohio State did in Matta's final years. Somewhat talented but just bad. Matta had his health, don't know what the issue is with Fran.
I suppose there is a reset coming for Fran. That would be the optimistic view. The way Iowa is playing is program killing.

I think some of what we are seeing is a collective "back to Earth" reality check. The players are realizing that they simply aren't as good as they thought they were coming into this season, and the coaches may be realizing that they aren't very good at what they do either. The facial expressions and body language tell a grim story.

I still maintain that the biggest issue with this team is lack of leadership and cohesiveness, and, unlike the blue-blood programs, we don't have near enough talent to overcome that. Even Dakich was harping on it today, and it's quite telling that a commentator felt compelled enough to actually bring it up. Whether you like Dakich or not, it's eye-opening when a color analyst points to what essentially amounts to a personal indictment of the players. That's almost unheard of.

He would never admit to it, but I honestly think Fran deep down believes that he has lost this team, and I also think he's genuinely depressed over the realization that he may have overestimated the talent of several players. Even though I doubt it will happen, barring some miraculous turnaround, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fran step down, possibly for his own mental and physical health.

it will be interesting to see who transfers next year if Fran stays. I am guessing Moss, cook and Pemsil will transfer.

it will be interesting to see who transfers next year if Fran stays. I am guessing Moss, cook and Pemsil will transfer.

Cook isn’t going to transfer. He actually has a shot at the NBA down the road so going to a D2 or JuCo will put him completely off the map.

I had a job that I hated once. I still showed up to get the paycheck. That is what is happening here. Show up, keep the scholarship, party.

All signs of no leadership...on the team or from the coaches...

Keep Baer...Kriener...Garza...Wagner... Move the others out... Need to move the quitters and pouters out...poison...

You have to keep Fran, because of his kids... Revamp the coaching staff... Get some coaches who can find a PG and can teach fundamentals...

There you have it...

And...bring Kirk in for a motivational speech...

Keep Baer...Kriener...Garza...Wagner... Move the others out... Need to move the quitters and pouters out...poison...

You have to keep Fran, because of his kids... Revamp the coaching staff... Get some coaches who can find a PG and can teach fundamentals...

There you have it...

Not trying to bad mouth his kids, but they're certainly not good enough to keep an inept coach.

I think you're on to something here. Even the season that Patrick was undergoing cancer treatment, there was more of a team chemistry and desire to compete. Something has to be going on behind the scenes that has just sucked the life out of this team.
They have mentally checked out. I bet we see several transfers at years end
At this point, we NEED people to transfer out. I think Fran is trying too hard to keep everyone happy with their minutes, and it results in odd times to sub someone out, and rotations that don't quite make sense. It's a lost season already, so start building towards next year, and whoever is left out gets a chance to find their next destination.

There you have it...

Not trying to bad mouth his kids, but they're certainly not good enough to keep an inept coach.
That’s what I was thinking.

I think you're on to something here. Even the season that Patrick was undergoing cancer treatment, there was more of a team chemistry and desire to compete. Something has to be going on behind the scenes that has just sucked the life out of this team.

At this point, we NEED people to transfer out. I think Fran is trying too hard to keep everyone happy with their minutes, and it results in odd times to sub someone out, and rotations that don't quite make sense. It's a lost season already, so start building towards next year, and whoever is left out gets a chance to find their next destination.
Isn't it interesting how no matter what reasons we can conceive of for this pathetic season, those reasons always come back to coaching?

Is it cancer in the locker room...?

Lack of athletic ability...lack of fundamentals?

Inept coaching, staff?

Poor AD leadership, motivation?

Perhaps all are true...then, well, that isn't good...

I would hate to have spent $$$ for good season tickets for this shit show...

If your going to have a PG like JBo that isn't a drive and kick style PG (not to mention a major defensive liability) Then your SG must be a good ball handler and be able to drive and kick some. Well.... We don't have that. Moss can go to the basket now and then but he's just not a distributer along those lines and he just disappears in games way too much. Moss is who I was hoping to see more from this year but I'm reserved to the fact he is who he is too. Baer tends to float on D and gamble. Which I think he wouldn't do as much if he knew his teammates could keep someone in front of them. But him floating around leaves his guy open for shots too.

For whatever reason our big guys on D will not put someone on the other team on their ass. I'm not saying go hurting guys but geez our big guys act like they don't want to be on posters more then they do wanting to protect the rim. Erik Hansen as skinny as he was played tougher inside then these guys. I'd take Woodbury back in a heartbeat now. And this is all with Garza having one of his best games. At least offensively. On D he's not that good. If anyone could find out how many offensive fouls Cook has I'd be curious to know. I think he has more on that end then on D. He isn't a good defender at all. I don't want to say he's not trying most of the time but he seems to put more effort into the other end of the court.

Latest posts