have the players quit

If this was 1978, then Cook would definitely be NBA bound, but he doesn't have nearly the refined game that is needed to succeed in the NBA currently. I'm sure he thinks he does, and probably is propped up all the time by comments made by his family and friends, but it's all a pipe dream.

That said, he could still get there with a ton of hard work on his game, and I'd be happy for him, but hard to see it happening.

Cook has next to zero shot at the NBA IMO...6’9 guys who dont play defense and who cannot hit a shot outside 10 feet do not make NBA rosters.. I dont care if he is athletic as all get out..Those are a dime a dozen.

Have u seen an NBA game of late? 4’s shoot the ball and can actually dribble the ball and score.

We got excited about Cook because he was a 4* and has great athletic ability..but he's no where close to an NBA roster.

Third bullet point.
At Carver today, the lack of attention to detail in every phase is considerably lacking from this staff:
When I watched FM teams at Siena, thought man I wish Hawks had guards, pressure, transition and intensity like that.
So what changed....his assistants.
Recruiting and specific sharp coaching detail is lacking from this staff.
If we are talking of player transfers at years end, there should also be a purging of some assistants as well.

It's also much easier to dominate in the MAAC, especially when you have guys like Kenny Hasbrouck and Edwin Ubiles, who were studs in that league. Guys with that talent are a dime a dozen in the Big Ten, and when everyone has a couple of them, you really have to up your game.

Also with the coaches, does anyone else find it odd that eight years in and none of the assistants have gone on to other coaching jobs (except Billy Taylor to Belmont Abbey)? I mean, there's something to say for consistency, but if your staff is that good, shouldn't schools be knocking on the door to bring them in to lead their program?

I’m pretty sure the NBA doesn’t have any need for a 6’8. -6’9 kid with an inconsistent jumper , terribly small hands which affects his ball handling and finishing, plus isn’t quick enough to guard perimeter players

Nobody on this team is going to the NBA. That is just hilarious.

Uh, you do realize Garza was GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, right?
And Nunge is just a superstar waiting to happen. You just watch. I know this because, well... just because I think I read it somewhere.
And Cook? Ya, he gone. I mean, have you seen him dunk? He like, dunks HARD.

Cook has next to zero shot at the NBA IMO...6’9 guys who dont play defense and who cannot hit a shot outside 10 feet do not make NBA rosters.. I dont care if he is athletic as all get out..Those are a dime a dozen.

Have u seen an NBA game of late? 4’s shoot the ball and can actually dribble the ball and score.

Agree but Cook has lead the fast break and has hit more mid range jumpers lately.

He is still only a soph and his game has gotten better in these areas than he was a year ago.

White had a sniff at the NBA and in comparison White averaged 12 pts a game and Cook has 15. Granted different types of players and White was a better defender, shot blocker and rebounder but Cook is stronger and more skilled offensively.

What was there to clap about yesterday??? Listen this team had the opportunity to play in front of a packed house and didn’t show up.. Carver goes as the Hawkeyes go and that’s a fact.!!!
I think he's talking about the lack of atmosphere at Carver in general. He's right in that regard. It may be hard to cheer for a team like this, but when you have almost no home court advantage and a seating layout that shafts the most important fans, the students, and gives the best seats to people who sit and golf clap the entire game, there is a bigger problem at hand.

I think he's talking about the lack of atmosphere at Carver in general. He's right in that regard. It may be hard to cheer for a team like this, but when you have almost no home court advantage and a seating layout that shafts the most important fans, the students, and gives the best seats to people who sit and golf clap the entire game, there is a bigger problem at hand.

Here's a good way to kill enthusiasm.
19 straight years of never making it past the first weekend. (most of those years not even in the dance)
If ya punch someone in the face long enough, they'll stop cheering.

Here's a good way to kill enthusiasm.
18 straight years of never making it past the first weekend. (most of those years not even in the dance)
If ya punch someone in the face long enough, they'll stop cheering.
It's troubling how many don't think it is the coaches job to give them something to cheer for. And NO, just putting on the uniform ain't enough to compensate for hard-earned money spent just to experience disappointment.
That's certainly part of it, but if that were the whole reason, Hilton wouldn't be such a formidable venue. As much as it pains me to say it, ISU has basketball figured out, by treating their students and their loudest fans the best, and in turn, fostering a very tough home environment. I don't think it's a stretch to say a similar environment in Carver-Hawkeye nets at least 2-3 extra home wins a year over the same period of time.

That's certainly part of it, but if that were the whole reason, Hilton wouldn't be such a formidable venue. As much as it pains me to say it, ISU has basketball figured out, by treating their students and their loudest fans the best, and in turn, fostering a very tough home environment. I don't think it's a stretch to say a similar environment in Carver-Hawkeye nets at least 2-3 extra home wins a year over the same period of time.

Do you see that as the BIGGEST problem with the program?
I doubt it.
You just need to distract from the elephant in the room for some reason.

Do you see that as the BIGGEST problem with the program?
I doubt it.
You just need to distract from the elephant in the room for some reason.
Check my history on the basketball program. The wording on my first post may have been vague, I may still like Fran, but I can't defend anything that has gone on this season, nor will I try to.

Or are you just in the mood to pick fights right now?

I can verify during FMs tenure, in general, NO students show up.
Even when the Hawks have been hot, student seats are empty.
This year, they had a finals week give away - great free stuff, free tickets - still no students.
Until students actually show up and support the team (good or bad), I could give two craps where they are given seats.

I can verify during FMs tenure, in general, NO students show up.
Even when the Hawks have been hot, student seats are empty.
This year, they had a finals week give away - great free stuff, free tickets - still no students.
Until students actually show up and support the team (good or bad), I could give two craps where they are given seats.
My argument is the students are given the worst seats in CHA, which in turn, along with a poor product on the court, affects their turnout and enthusiasm. CHA used to be a hell of a venue, but has lost its teeth over the years. That can't be blamed on the students.

Sit Cook down until he gets his attitude adjusted. I was at the game, you could tell every time he went to the bench he was whining about something. He is the only one on that team that looks to have big time talent, but his attitude is holding him back.

Start Daily, Bohannon, Garza, Baer, Uhl (that's right, I typed "Uhl", he was one of the few that looked like they wanted to play Saturday).

2 extra home wins gets us a Big 10 title 2 years ago if one of them was Indiana. 4 years ago, if the crowd helps turn a couple close losses at home to wins, they might never collapse to the extent they did. Those are games ISU wins a lot. Iowa has almost no home court advantage.