have the players quit

I can verify during FMs tenure, in general, NO students show up.
Even when the Hawks have been hot, student seats are empty.
This year, they had a finals week give away - great free stuff, free tickets - still no students.
Until students actually show up and support the team (good or bad), I could give two craps where they are given seats.[/QUO
So your asking traumatized students to leave their "safe spaces" to watch a patriarchal centric event which is clearly an event for members of the "privileged class". To fill the student section you need to advertise wifi "hotspots", free cappuccino, and serve everything in earth-friendly hemp containers. I'm kidding for the most part, but kids that go to Iowa just seem to have other priorities than sports.

2 extra home wins gets us a Big 10 title 2 years ago if one of them was Indiana. 4 years ago, if the crowd helps turn a couple close losses at home to wins, they might never collapse to the extent they did. Those are games ISU wins a lot. Iowa has almost no home court advantage.

So now the fans have cost FM a title??!!
I would tell you to stop embarrassing yourself, but self-awareness is required for that to have an affect.

So your asking traumatized students to leave their "safe spaces" to watch a patriarchal centric event which is clearly an event for members of the "privileged class". To fill the student section you need to advertise wifi "hotspots", free cappuccino, and serve everything in earth-friendly hemp containers. I'm kidding for the most part, but kids that go to Iowa just seem to have other priorities than sports.
Agreed. Students showing up to support their team, that’s lunacy.

And while we’re on CHA, this year I’ve witnessed breastfeeding a child (and no would want pics of this one), newspaper reading, and people who won’t cheer, clap or make a sound for ANYTHING. But, ya the problem is the building design.

The real beaut was the guy at the Michigan game surfing the Net literally the entire game looking at used tractors! On Iowa and Go Hawks!!!

The question becomes why? Last season Baer seemed the poster boy of an ultimate team player. He has his moments where he still hustles and plays as well as anyone on the team IMO but when he plays lazy basketball he stands out on the court more than others. As others pointed out Dakich spoke the truth today during the broadcast about how Iowa just doesn't seem together as a team. The team seems to have some serious issues going on behind the scenes although hard to point to anything specific and we will likely never know and don't have a need to know. At my age I've watched plenty of bad Iowa teams before but this just looks different and looks like a very unhappy situation for both coaches and the players. Lack of effort seems way more troubling than not having the talent or not playing well enough to win.
I think Baer sees what everyone else sees. That other players get minutes and start games, without busting their butts on both ends of the floor. It's extremely difficult to keep playing with that kind of intensity when the head coach lets other players play lazy as hell.

College kids want to have fun. Sitting behind the basket, among the walking dead, watching trash basketball, is not going to interest them.

And while we’re on CHA, this year I’ve witnessed breastfeeding a child (and no would want pics of this one), newspaper reading, and people who won’t cheer, clap or make a sound for ANYTHING. But, ya the problem is the building design.

The real beaut was the guy at the Michigan game surfing the Net literally the entire game looking at used tractors! On Iowa and Go Hawks!!!
Glad someone can spot sarcasm. But honestly, most Iowa students don't care all that much about sports. Like most fans just follow it when Iowa is winning. Don't blame them for not wanting to watch a shitty product.

So now the fans have cost FM a title??!!
I would tell you to stop embarrassing yourself, but self-awareness is required for that to have an affect.

They just didn't help him win one. You don't think Hilton helps ISU win games ever? I'll come right out and say it. If we could have somehow had a Hilton crowd for every home game that year, we would have won a title. We also more than likely would have made the NCAA the year we went to the NIT championship game. There is also a good chance we would have made it last year. We would still suck balls this year tho.

They just didn't help him win one. You don't think Hilton helps ISU win games ever? I'll come right out and say it. If we could have somehow had a Hilton crowd for every home game that year, we would have won a title. We also more than likely would have made the NCAA the year we went to the NIT championship game. There is also a good chance we would have made it last year. We would still suck balls this year tho.

Who should be blamed for this season? The fans?

What do you think?
Watching the game it really seemed that most of the players could care less?
Look at Tyler Cook. I felt he totally played without any effort? I don't know if its just me but he seemed to be playing with an attitude almost pouting?
Same with Moss
Regardless of talent or coaching skills players at this level should play their hearts out every game!
I have played for coaches that I didn't like but my desire to win overcame any personal feelings of dislike. At this level you would hope these athletes have a killer instinct to win..
If I was coaching this team I would be starting people who want to play over those with natural talent.
It also seems our team is whiney when they get fouled. Just play the game!
The season is over, let those with heart play. Send a message
what do you guys think?
I agree with what you said, they whine a lot when they fouled, Especially Pemsl. Everyone gets 5 but we give these little wussy fouls. Foul them hard send a message, not taking cheap shots. Too many easy layups and dunks and the hawks just stand there

You sure it wasn’t Farmers Only.Com?

Stanzi, not picking on you alone. There are quite a few people that think Cook has a chance in the NBA. Granted we have seen some amazing dunks but when he plays against teams like Purdue, he's a non-factor. His line today: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and 4 turnovers. Purdue is good, but its not NBA good. There have been a few really good IA players recently with great stats that came close to making an NBA roster (I mean more than a couple of weeks at the end of a season) but I believe Ricky Davis was the last Hawkeye to spend significant time in the league. Aaron White, Devyn Marble, Jarrod Uthoff, Georges Niang, and Peter Jok couldn't make it beyond G-League rosters. Each had their strong points, but with just a tad bit less talent in a key area of their game. When I look at Cook, I see a guy who can really explode to the hoop, but has trouble with turnovers, body control, defense, rebound positioning, and dribbling when he is double-triple teamed. He is by definition a "project" and NBA teams don't do projects.

Um, Reggie Evans came after Ricky Davis and enjoyed a lengthy career...

I'm saying this. I'm not trying to bash anyone on here because I'm sure some of you may in fact sit in the first 15 rows. But, in my years of watching college basketball I think it is easy to say Iowa is the quietest basketball court in D1. I'm not even talking the last 5 games. I'm talking the last 10 years when the game is tight, or we make a shot to take the lead against a higher rated opponent. There is literally 50% crowd participation.

Lately especially, since it is more interesting to watch the stands, I watch during the above circumstances and I yell out in my living room, or at the bar, "why aren't those people clapping?" Are people tired from the long walk from the car? How can u go to a sporting event, sit close, and not even clap when you're team scores??? There will be full rows where one person claps twice. The guy on the bottom right facing away court side always stands when appropriate, claps when it's appropriate, and numerous times has to stand and wave his hands trying to "pump up the crowd."

It's truly embarrassing. And you can't tell me this is not a major disadvantage. College sports is a momentum game. More so than professional possibly because of maturity and age. We all wonder why teams light it up against us? Why some no name chump who averages 5 points a game comes off the bench and is 4-5 from 3. It's because its not a hostile environment. It's a scrimmage game with some people watching.

I am not sure why everyone bashes carver, I was in school at Iowa in the mid 80's stokes era and later BJ armstrong, Kevin gamble etc. The place was always sold out and extremely loud. Bring the show and people will come!

I am not sure why everyone bashes carver, I was in school at Iowa in the mid 80's stokes era and later BJ armstrong, Kevin gamble etc. The place was always sold out and extremely loud. Bring the show and people will come!
Correct. It's the product on the floor, not the environment they are playing in.

What does Carver 30 some years ago have to do with now? Again. I said my opinions and backed them with what I saw on TV and my trips to games.

Correct. It's the product on the floor, not the environment they are playing in.
So Vegas is wrong by adding points to home teams in all sports? Playing at home and the environment does zero to affect the players? Someone needs to tell the Seahawks the 12th man doesn't exist. fake news.

So Vegas is wrong by adding points to home teams in all sports? Playing at home and the environment does zero to affect the players? Someone needs to tell the Seahawks the 12th man doesn't exist. fake news.

Then how do you explain Kirk's home record? Bad fans?

Kinnick is loud, so that question is irrelevant.

That has nothing to do with your argument that atmosphere does not affect the players ability to play above their means, or below.

Latest posts