have the players quit

If they've quit, when did it start? They've sucked all season. I just don't get it. There has to be something more than just a lack of defense, etc.

I would not say quit. Most of the guys who hit the floor are trying. But there is a difference between trying and being totally bought in. This team is for sure, 100% not all on the page. That is developed in practice. Guys just are not completely locked in to being successful on both ends of the floor, sacrificing for one another. I don't know the reason for this. None of us likely ever will, unless Fran opens up about it. My theories:
  • Older guys resent Nunge and Garza being recruited over them. Pemsl has been just plain bad, and Wagner not much better. Kriener is hit and miss. Uhl doesn't play so not a factor.
  • Team thought it was better than it was. Lots of talk on media day on how the experts were overlooking them. Well, the experts had Iowa overrated by quite a bit it turns out.
  • Fran has hit the wall coaching. It's a time/life-consuming job, and the utter lack of attention to detail by Iowa is stunning. Just shocking. Fran's teams were never great on defense, but not this sloppy and unorganized. The defense Iowa is playing is embarrassing. No other way to put it. Iowa looks like Ohio State did in Matta's final years. Somewhat talented but just bad. Matta had his health, don't know what the issue is with Fran.
I suppose there is a reset coming for Fran. That would be the optimistic view. The way Iowa is playing is program killing.
Third bullet point.
At Carver today, the lack of attention to detail in every phase is considerably lacking from this staff:
When I watched FM teams at Siena, thought man I wish Hawks had guards, pressure, transition and intensity like that.
So what changed....his assistants.
Recruiting and specific sharp coaching detail is lacking from this staff.
If we are talking of player transfers at years end, there should also be a purging of some assistants as well.

Cook isn’t going to transfer. He actually has a shot at the NBA down the road so going to a D2 or JuCo will put him completely off the map.
Stanzi, not picking on you alone. There are quite a few people that think Cook has a chance in the NBA. Granted we have seen some amazing dunks but when he plays against teams like Purdue, he's a non-factor. His line today: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and 4 turnovers. Purdue is good, but its not NBA good. There have been a few really good IA players recently with great stats that came close to making an NBA roster (I mean more than a couple of weeks at the end of a season) but I believe Ricky Davis was the last Hawkeye to spend significant time in the league. Aaron White, Devyn Marble, Jarrod Uthoff, Georges Niang, and Peter Jok couldn't make it beyond G-League rosters. Each had their strong points, but with just a tad bit less talent in a key area of their game. When I look at Cook, I see a guy who can really explode to the hoop, but has trouble with turnovers, body control, defense, rebound positioning, and dribbling when he is double-triple teamed. He is by definition a "project" and NBA teams don't do projects.

If we are talking of player transfers at years end, there should also be a purging of some assistants as well.

You're a good poster so don't take this the wrong way.
99% of the time getting rid of the assistants doesn't fix the problem. The first guy who fired Greg Davis was exposed after GD left. The second guy who fired Greg Davis was exposed before GD left.

You're a good poster so don't take this the wrong way.
99% of the time getting rid of the assistants doesn't fix the problem. The first guy who fired Greg Davis was exposed after GD left. The second guy who fired Greg Davis was exposed before GD left.
I get what you’re saying.
If FM is gonna get canned, do it at the end of B1G. Don’t wait until 2019, that won’t change anything.
I respect how has tried to do things at Iowa with some integrity in a college game that has none of that left.

If Fran has truly lost this team it’s because he hasn’t made the starters earn playing time in practice thru hard work . That was cause resentment from the players getting less minutes . I’ve seen how hard Moss and some of the other players work during the games so I guarantee they aren’t out working the backups in practice . This would cause problems between the players . Dailey and Uhl have their flaws as players but especially Dailey outworks Moss every single game but is never rewarded . This is the sign of a gutless coach trying to keep players happy instead of what’s best for the team

There are several times during the game and uncharacteristically Baer was dogging it on close outs....he would slowly jump out to the jump shooter because he knew it was his responsibility but half heartedly would do it to a wide open Purdon't shooter.

I get what you’re saying.
If FM is gonna get canned, do it at the end of B1G. Don’t wait until 2019, that won’t change anything.
I respect how has tried to do things at Iowa with some integrity in a college game that has none of that left.

Agree. And I applaud you for not accusing me of stating that Greg Davis was a great assistant. He sucked and he was a pawn. But head coaches aren't supposed to hire suckage. When they do, it's on them.

How many D1 Bball coaches have had quality seasons waiting for their sons to come play for them?

Someday the details of why CWilliams left days before games started, I think, explains all the chemistry, minutes, etc. issues. That involves Connor McC.

I would love to see Baer go back to being a 6th man. Let's team get into game and then get 'boost' he provided last year when both teams get into their benches.

And he is. Has been all year

The question becomes why? Last season Baer seemed the poster boy of an ultimate team player. He has his moments where he still hustles and plays as well as anyone on the team IMO but when he plays lazy basketball he stands out on the court more than others. As others pointed out Dakich spoke the truth today during the broadcast about how Iowa just doesn't seem together as a team. The team seems to have some serious issues going on behind the scenes although hard to point to anything specific and we will likely never know and don't have a need to know. At my age I've watched plenty of bad Iowa teams before but this just looks different and looks like a very unhappy situation for both coaches and the players. Lack of effort seems way more troubling than not having the talent or not playing well enough to win.

How many years does it take to turn around a program in a tailspin/dumpster fire?

We have been through this before and still don't know the answer.

This is not going to have a pretty ending...

Yeah that’s pretty damn obvious some of the players have quit..!

I also know of some season ticket holders that have quit as well and won’t be buying for next year. This season and that effort we are seeing is going to have an impact on Season Tickets next year, no doubt..
I'm glad season ticket holders are opting out. maybe we can get some fans to clap on made baskets in the first 15 rows.

Cook isn’t going to transfer. He actually has a shot at the NBA down the road so going to a D2 or JuCo will put him completely off the map.

Cook has next to zero shot at the NBA IMO...6’9 guys who dont play defense and who cannot hit a shot outside 10 feet do not make NBA rosters.. I dont care if he is athletic as all get out..Those are a dime a dozen.

Have u seen an NBA game of late? 4’s shoot the ball and can actually dribble the ball and score.