Guest picker for Gameday in Ames?

I don't think Slipknot would like being lumped in with White Supremacists. They condemned racist attacks against Arabs shortly after 9/11 as "unfuckingacceptable."

You don't have to like their music - but don't play the racist card unless you have proof.

1. Slipknot is not part of the Aryan nation music scene, never has been. Not sure how you even make that connection. They're a very different genre.

2. Their "music"...well...yeah.. Spare me the "old guy" crap...I've played about everything you can imagine including heavy metal and some bizarre experimental stuff. Unique, heavy, intense performance...for sure. but...

Former Hawk and 1/2 of the current WWE SmackDown Tag Team champions, Big E

Current NBA Champ Nick Nurse

...or is that too much champion for Ames?

I have news for you. You pay and fund your coach top 10 $ to play and win big road games on national tv. Hostile stadiums and crowds when the world is against you. If you want to beat your chest about the lack of respect and make fun if the clowns and how great the double ferentz’s are then there are no excuses in this game. You go over and kick their ass. Our budget and support is significantly higher and the talk certainly is. So it’s time to let them build all the hype, take a bye week for extra prep, and waltz in there and shove it up their ass. If not, then it’s also time to start accepting some if the realities that come as a result.

Except we don't pay Ferentz top 10 money.... haven't for a long time.

Just talking with my Dad and we were thinking that Gable and Sanderson together with Sanderson picking the Cyclones and Gable picking Iowa would be great. They would be able to do a spotlight on wrestling in the state of Iowa.
What part of sanderson left years ago and went to penn state and lives thousands of miles away and likely could care less about this game anymore don’t you understand?

I have news for you. You pay and fund your coach top 10 $ to play and win big road games on national tv. Hostile stadiums and crowds when the world is against you. If you want to beat your chest about the lack of respect and make fun if the clowns and how great the double ferentz’s are then there are no excuses in this game. You go over and kick their ass. Our budget and support is significantly higher and the talk certainly is. So it’s time to let them build all the hype, take a bye week for extra prep, and waltz in there and shove it up their ass. If not, then it’s also time to start accepting some if the realities that come as a result.
What reality do you make of Iowa winning 7 of last 10?

Sux to be you

Point still stands

It's a stupid point, what you pay a coach has ZERO impact on the game, just some idiot fan expectations. Nebraska is paying Frost the 10th most money in college football, more than what Ferentz is getting paid. By your logic Iowa is going to lose to Nebraska on Black Friday because they pay their coach more money. Heck even Lovie Smith makes more money than Ferentz does at Illinois. Iowa will finish 8-4 if they only lose to teams that pay their coaches more money. Now do you see how silly this is?

Based on last years numbers Iowa has the 17th highest paid head coach and 22nd highest budget for Assistant Coaches. I don't see any 2019 rankings yet so it's probably lower.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I'm guessing you have ZERO complaints on the job Fran McCaffery is doing since he has the 47th highest paid salary in college basketball. I'm sure you are NEVER on the basketball site grumbling about the Hawkeye basketball program, right?

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Last edited:
Hhmmm.... I was good with my dad for 44 years until he passed. Not a white supremacist, nor aryan type. Perhaps you should just call yourself a jackass that likes to stereotype people because you can’t understand someone else’s likes or dislikes. Before more stereotypes come out, I am married, with 2 kids, with plural degrees, make (low) 6 figures, don’t have any tattoos, no prison time, haven’t touched a drug in over 20 years, barely drink, regularly go to church... I can go on. So again, tell me what’s wrong with listening to some loud, aggressive, hardcore metal??

Points taken. We are probably similar ... except I drink more than "barely", have left the clutches of organized religion, and don't like slipknot (or any "metal" other than Sabbath with ozzy and motorhead). Give me bad brains and minor threat instead.

Anyway, I don't care who the picker is. I mean, it's a little on the nose, but could the celebrity picker be the American Pickers? Iowa's own (but I think they moved).

What part of sanderson left years ago and went to penn state and lives thousands of miles away and likely could care less about this game anymore don’t you understand?

I moved away from Iowa in 2004. Lived in California and currently North Carolina. I still love the Hawkeyes and get amped up about this game and I didn’t graduate from either one of these schools. What makes you think Sanderson doesn’t support the school he graduated from and coached at just because he doesn’t live there?

Niang would be great on the podium, that's why I'd love to see it but you're correct, no way he does it. He embraces the rivalry about as well as any player did in my fandom though and I think he'd be fun.

There is a little precedent for it, NDSU had a former QB of their program as the guest picker who never played at all in the NFL. IMO it'll be Seneca, he's a good speaker, he played in a memorable game between the two schools, and when people are talking they'll be able to play great b-roll of him running around and making plays during the broadcast. But I wouldn't be surprised by anything and I don't think anybody should get bent out of shape about it. I won't watch it and won't be down there at Gameday. I'm actually slightly concerned about the event - if it keeps raining like this and grass lots are a mess, and they open at 5:00 AM, then there could just be some serious drunkenness which I'm just too old for now.

I did read somewhere that Pollard said the university can recommend who the guest picker is, but ultimately ESPN has full control over the decision.

The 5am tailgating thing is going to be nuts. If there's one thing Iowans will do its show up to an event like that. I expect gameday to be packed at 8am.

I moved away from Iowa in 2004. Lived in California and currently North Carolina. I still love the Hawkeyes and get amped up about this game and I didn’t graduate from either one of these schools. What makes you think Sanderson doesn’t support the school he graduated from and coached at just because he doesn’t live there?
Because he is head wrestling coach at a power 5 school on the east coast thousands of miles away likely hosting wrestling recruits at the penn st/pitt football game and getting his wrestlers ready for another run at a national title while schmoozing with penn st boosters in a sky box with his family in tow. That would be one reason. And to compare your situation to Sanderson, well, you sound like a moron

Latest posts